Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-02-2013, 11:19 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Thanks guys! It's just the road test, I already passed the written exam.

I hope there isn't any parallel parking, I've never even attempted it. I don't think I've ever backed into a parking space either, but I've backed out plenty of times. I'll have to do a little practicing today.

The thing is, I can't use my van for the test because the brights are out on it. So I'm renting a car. I don't get the car til 5 tonight (my parents are picking it up, I work til 6) and then I really only have a little while to practice in it because I go straight to the DMV in the morning. And it is not in an area I'm used to. I have to get my license in the next 3 weeks because my parents are going on a cruise and I have to get to work, get my brother to college, and take care of a friends pets who are the ones taking my parents on the cruise! But road test appointments are booked 3 months out. And the only DMV that takes walk-ins is an hour away from here. So I'm going to be in an unfamiliar car in an unfamiliar place taking an unfamiliar test. Lol! But I'm going to try my best. I really hope I pass. I don't want to spend $50 on a rental car and take off work to drive an hour away for nothing lol!

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 04-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I actually drove to a different town to take my driver's test because the word around here was that the local driving test was CRAZY HARD with all kinds of stuff that most people never do - like drive around, pull into an alley, back out of the alley and parallel park at the same time - and this other town was much easier. So lots of people just went to the other town and took the test there instead. I had never driven around the town before so I was kind of nervous. Constantly looking for hidden stop signs LOL. But it was indeed super easy, just like what Airn described. Drove around, la la la, that was it!

I was kind of freaked out though because the girl who went out to take her test before me had gotten in a major accident. o_o And they were sending the tester home because she had whiplash. And I had already been there and signed up, so they sent somebody else out with me as a sub, but they weren't going to take any more tests that day... fffffffff hahaha.

So you might consider going to the other town if you need to. It will be a little nerve wracking but probably not too bad!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Top Dog

It's different in every area obviously, mine was 45 minutes they make you pull in to a space, back in, parallel park, back up in a straight line, SHOULDER CHECKS, stop signs, speed limit, SCHOOL ZONES, hazard perception (they tell you to pull over and you say "oh a child could jump out from behind that dumpster" etc), pulling into the curb, checking your mirrors in the correct sequence, 360 degree mirror check before backing up.

I'm probably forgetting something but those are most of the things I had to do.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
It's different in every area obviously, mine was 45 minutes they make you pull in to a space, back in, parallel park, back up in a straight line, SHOULDER CHECKS, stop signs, speed limit, SCHOOL ZONES, hazard perception (they tell you to pull over and you say "oh a child could jump out from behind that dumpster" etc), pulling into the curb, checking your mirrors in the correct sequence, 360 degree mirror check before backing up.

I'm probably forgetting something but those are most of the things I had to do.
Ours was the same. Every skill they talked about in driver's ed we had to do for the test and and while doing various things and stopped for parallel parking etc, they surveyed the area and asked you questions about potential scenarios that "could" occur in the future in that area and what the appropriate action would be . If you were reacting to anything you were wrong basically. If you had to react to a kid running from behind a car you were going to fast or weren't paying attention to your surroundings
Old 04-02-2013, 11:38 AM
aka RedHotBabe

Mine was simple. The instructor barely said anything, and definitely didn't ask any questions. I don't remember backing into a space, but he did have me back out when we started. Next was parallel parking, which I had never attempted before. It took me two tries but I was fine. Then we just went around the block - just some stop signs, turning, and a light or two, then back. It was easy. I didn't take mine in my car, either. I borrowed a friend's car that I had never driven before. It went better than I expected. I passed, lol.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:05 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Thanks guys you're making me feel a little better! Everyone says the test is like 10 minutes or less and is basically just driving down the road, turning around and back to the DMV. However that is for the town that I was initially planning to take the test. This town is completely foreign to me and I don't know anyone in the area to even ask what the test is like. But I'm hoping its pretty straight forward. I know I can drive. I just don't know if I can pass the test if that makes sense lol!!

Can anyone who failed the first time chime in? Why did you fail, and what did you do the next time you took the test that caused you to pass?

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 04-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
Thanks guys you're making me feel a little better! Everyone says the test is like 10 minutes or less and is basically just driving down the road, turning around and back to the DMV. However that is for the town that I was initially planning to take the test. This town is completely foreign to me and I don't know anyone in the area to even ask what the test is like. But I'm hoping its pretty straight forward. I know I can drive. I just don't know if I can pass the test if that makes sense lol!!

Can anyone who failed the first time chime in? Why did you fail, and what did you do the next time you took the test that caused you to pass?
Let's see,

I forgot my 360 checks

I did under the speed limit (because you can't go 2 km over, and I was worried that would happen)

She made a comment about how I wasn't looking far enough back during shoulder checks, but also (resentfully) said she couldn't see my eyes because I was wearing sunglasses, which I was, because it was cloudless bright hot August day and my eyes are really sensitive to light.

Also I think she was a bit of a bitch and judged me because of the car I was driving.

The next time it was raining, so I was justified in going a bit under and I wasn't wearing sunglasses, so that solved that.

Main things I did wrong during that test were

a) I couldn't back up in a straight line, that was painful lol
b) pulling out from parallel parks I was verry close to the car in front lol (was traumatized by the previous backing up in a straight line exercise)
c) at the end of the test I thought I'd probably failed and was soo happy to be done that I was just like "**** it" and didn't back in with proper checking.

Whichever kind of parking you have the most trouble with, when you park the car for your test, park it that way. Of course they're not in the car at that point. On the return they usually tell you to do the opposite.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Top Dog

I failed the first time!

I took my first test at a place that had a course. The tests here require 90 degree backing, parallel parking and driving on a one-way (they do the "take the next available left" thing, trying to trick you into driving the wrong way on a one-way).

I didn't fail any of those things though, I failed because my left turns weren't arched enough. So my tester just made me keep taking left turns over and over again until my points added up to where I failed.

The second time I took it, it was driving around the city. Again, 90 degree backing, parallel parking, parking on a hill, etc. It was a lot longer than the first one, but I didn't fail that time.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 04-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Top Dog

I can't imagine not having parallel parking on a test. Places really dont make you practice that?

The best thing is to stay calm. It's been so long since I took it lol but my issues were I had been permit driving for a long time and was too comfortsble do picked up some lazy habits.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Top Dog

Mine was super easy. Check that everything works, drive around the block, park, and done. No parallel parking. No backing up. I even had a HUGEEEEE crack in my windshield. I still passed.

Our town never tests parallel parking. So I feel AWESOME when I do parallel park. "TAKE THAT, I CAN PARALLEL PARK, YEAHHHHH!!!!" Of course I don't parallel park often, becuase we really don't have many places where parallel parking happens. Most busy streets have slanted curbside parking.