Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 04-11-2013, 11:57 PM
Active Pup

Default Shar pei / boxer mix is itchy ALL THE TIME

My one and a half year old shar pei/boxer/??? mix is itchy. I have him on Natural Balance Venison and Potato, which did help to decrease his itchies (as well as help with his loose stools), and I have gone on to add olive oil and the occasional egg yolk to his food, which has helped with his skin's dryness, but he continues to itch. He doesn't have any fleas and is on a flea preventative. His itching has definitely improved since switching foods two months ago (he used to chew scabs onto his rump), but he still itches a ridiculous amount. What could this be? How do I make it better?
Old 04-12-2013, 12:41 AM
Top Dog

I would take him to the vet to get him checked out if he has something going on.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:43 AM
Active Pup

Atopy is the most common type of dog allergy. Usually it may be mixed with a food allergy. The good idea to start with a non allergy diet and see results in two - three weeks. To stop itching quickly will only help hormones (like prednisone) or immunosupressants (like atopica) ((
Old 04-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Try not; DO or do not

Default Both boxers and shar pei are highly over-represented

In cases of autoimmune disorders and disease which often manifests as allergy like symptoms. I personally would have my dog screened for AID and have an amino acid profile done. This will not be something your every day vet could likely do. You will need to have this testing done at University level, however your regular vet may be able to obtain the required samples and ship them if an appropriate facility is far from you. Most University veterinary facilities prefer to obtain their own samples. This can be an expensive set.of tests so certainly eliminate all other possible allergens. Even consider your dogs drinking water source and the type of laudry detergent and floor cleaners. Something that often alleviates symptoms is supplementing with lysine and coQ-10. As with any treatment, do not start without the supervision of a veterinarian.