Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Resident fainting goat

Default Well now I feel like a bitch and I kind of hate people.

I just needed some perspective today.

I was walking Merlin with a friend and her dog (a young black pitbull), and as usual.. Merlin was working the crowd, people stopped us every 5 feet "can I pet him?" "what breed is he? he is so cute!" "oh god I want one" "Aussies are so smart!" etc..etc..
so 30 minutes into shopping and literally 20 people in I am irritable and like "IT'S SO ANNOYING! LIKE I CAN'T GO ANYWHERE! PEOPLE NEVER LEAVE US ALONE! I KNOW HE'S CUTE BUT ****" just such a selfish moment because I am in my own little world kind of thinking how lucky she is that people leave her dog alone
and I look at my friend just then and she is kind of teary eyed and I'm like "oh my god,what's wrong?"
and little did I notice that the whole time people were bending down and loving on Merlin. Her dog is leaning in and trying SO HARD to get people to notice her and people made a POINT to stand on the other side of me (furthest from her dog) .. so I started paying attention and people did it again, and again, and again. A few people even nudged her dog away.

and she is just like "I just wish people were that nice to her, she loves people... nobody ever wants to pet her and people say mean stuff sometimes and she tries so hard and I just had no idea it was so nice.. having a cute regular dog you know, I've never had another dog before her and I just assumed it was because she is growing up and not a puppy anymore but she's Merlin's age and size and people are..so different with him.."

and I wanted to hug her and cry.

The worst part is, Merlin after a few people WASN'T EVEN FEELING IT. He was being a little JERK. Like leaning away, barely even looking at the people petting him, and people insisted. People showered him with compliments, tried harder, made kissy noises, took pictures..

and here is this dog who was like OH GOD PLEASE PET ME and being super nice and well behaved and people were just IGNORING her.

It made me want to scream! After I finally took notice and started seeing how people acted I started basically telling people "Oh well, SHE is a lot nicer, Merlin is kind of a brat.." "Oh she wants lovins too!" and some people gave her a pat or something but they were still..standoffish.

I kind of hate people today.
but it is a really an interesting lesson. I bitch all the time about how annoying it is having a fluffy dog in this city everyone wants to love on
I never really thought about what the alternative would be like

Her dog is now here playing with Merlin and I am giving her all the treats and lovins!
Old 04-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Top Dog

For the record, I'd have gone to her dog before Merlin. I love all dogs, and Merlin is adorable, but Pit Bulls have a soft spot in my heart.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb

Last edited by Shakou; 04-01-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Top Dog

My boyfriend and I have that same experience all the time walking with Elsie and Zobby--people want to pet her, but not him, and he's straining on the leash whining to say hi, while she's giving them a look like they're something foul she stepped in.

We were walking down the street once, and someone said, "OH LOOK, she has a pretty dog! and he has... a dog." Really?

It's really too bad. :[
Old 04-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Yup.

This is one of my favorite photos ever and it speaks volumes, this shouldn't be a rarity.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Top Dog

Same thing happens with my lot. Everyone wants to pet the fluffy pretty Afghan hounds, both of which are trying to rip my arms off so they can run away which the poor Saluki dances around chattering to everyone for attention.

I can only imagine how bad it is for your friend. I probably would have gone for her dog first too. No dog gives lovin' like a pit!
Old 04-01-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm All Ears

I have had his happen a lot with poor summer. We were at a trial and this Kay came up and was all over my friends dog (who was disinterested). Oh he was magnificent and awesome. And little summer is about jumping of if her skin to get petted. The lady looked at her with disgust and gave her a quick lag and went back to my friends dog and was all over him again.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Top Dog

OMG that totally choked me up. I even made Jason listen to me read it to him. I would pet your friend's dog!!! I <3 pit bulls and they catch my eye more than anything else. Usually are such sweet little dogs!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Mutts to you

Poor pup! I tend to gravitate to whatever dog wants to be petted, don't care what breed it is... all dogs are beautiful.

Sometimes I wonder if people are cats... not to insult cats, of course, but heaven knows our cats could pick the cat hater out of a crowd and would zero in on them. My old dogs, Patch and Sam, were darned near identical but everyone wanted to pet Patch (who hated it and was inclined to bite) while ignoring Sam who would be dancing around, begging for attention.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 04-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Top Dog

Aww, that makes me so sad. You tell Merlin to come to Vermont to visit and to bring his friend with him. I will make sure the cookies are distributed evenly and the hugs and kisses go to whichever would like them.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:18 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
For the record, I'd have gone to her dog before Merlin. I love all dogs, and Merlin is adorable, but Pit Bulls have a soft spot in my heart.
I like all dogs & I know that most bullies love people, I would have seen that Merlin wasn't "feeling" it & not forced myself on him.

Fran you know that you have the right to be "bitchy" & flat out tell folks that your dog is overwhelmed, with Josefina (who likes to "greet ppl but not be harassed) I will draw her against me & either pick her up or out myself btw the crowd & her if they don't listen.

I have seen it too, my moms horse shoer rescues bullies, & we are Lways happy to see her dogs (who are super super sweet) & she commented to us that of all the places she goes to (she takes her dogs everywhere) our house is the only one where the owners allow her to let them out ... Even if they don't have other Animals ... We put ours inside so hers can be out ... The media has made these dogs out to be monsters it truely is sad.