Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-24-2013, 09:49 AM
<(같<) <(같)> (>같)>

Default Passed dog's things?

Like the title says - what did you do with your passed dogs things? Gipsy has so much stuff and it's just sitting around in the basement, her collars and leashes are still in a little basket by the door, because no one can bare putting them away for good.

We're starting to prepare for new puppy though - and have no idea what to reuse, if anything (besides her crates that she never used, so it doesn't feel weird) But she had this beautiful basket with her pillow in it, for example, and we don't really want to reuse it because it was Gipsy's. She had it for over 10 years. On the other hand it's just sitting in the attik, and it will probably be too small anyways.
She also had a crap load of toys that's sitting downstairs.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Little dog, big voice

Indie wasn't a dog, but I have a few of her things that I plan on keeping forever and not reusing. I have her shoes, her leather halter, her stall nameplate, a section of tail hair (which is going to be made into a bracelet at one point) and her fuzzy zebra print halter all in her water bucket. I still have everything else, although out of all of it, I'm only keeping her winter blanket (which holds a lot of sentimental value for me) and grooming kit... which I refuse to use on any other horse.

I think in your case, I'd get a nice basket for her collars, leashes and some of her favourite toys... just as a nice keepsake. It's always so hard sorting through these types of things.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Top Dog

I kept Max's collar and leash. I think I'll always keep collars, but will probably reuse the leash in the future (I couldn't use his on Tucker anyway because the latch is too large for him). I also have one of his teddy bears, but we buried him with his favorite ones.

My uncle kept both of his dogs collars and has them draped over the side of framed photos of each, it's really nice.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 03-24-2013, 10:08 AM
<(같<) <(같)> (>같)>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
I kept Max's collar and leash. I think I'll always keep collars, but will probably reuse the leash in the future (I couldn't use his on Tucker anyway because the latch is too large for him). I also have one of his teddy bears, but we buried him with his favorite ones.

My uncle kept both of his dogs collars and has them draped over the side of framed photos of each, it's really nice.
Yeah we had her favorite stuffy cremated with her because she loved that thing and wouldn't go anywhere without it

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Top Dog

I keep collars and maybe one favorite toy - not for new dogs, as keepsakes.

Everything else gets donated. I might keep toys or things that are too used for future dogs. Something special, like the basket/bed you described? I'm not really sure. I'd probably use it for the future puppy...or if I didn't want them to sleep in it because it seemed weird, use it to hold their toys or something? I'm not sure.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Top Dog

I packed toys up the day after we lost Mick. Some I gave away. Little by little, the toys I kept were brought out for Caleb. The bowls I just slid under the microwave cart until we brought Caleb home. His collar is in a memory box someone gave me along with a tennis ball and the Beannie Baby pig my friend gave him. The harness he wore for walks & therapy visits is in a curio table. His coat, favorite tug and volleyball are in a space saving bag in the closet (I couldn't bear to give Caleb the volleyball, and our son felt the same way about the tug). The Beannie Babies that he won, therapy dog bandana, tag and ID and the leash we did obedience with are in a shadow box.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:21 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Granted, my dogs don't have a lot of stuff, but I reuse almost everything. Their main collar is put away as a momento, but old collars, training collars, bowls, toys, dishes, leashes, beds, etc. are all kept for any current/future/foster dog.

I like using their old things. It's like they're giving something of themselves to the next generation.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:18 AM
orange iguanas.

Molly didn't have much stuff to begin with. We threw away her bed. We kept her collar and leash (only had one her whole life!) but I don't use them for anyone else.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 03-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Mutts to you

Kept all the collars as keepsakes, Patch and Emily were buried with their favorite toys (Robbie, Sam, Holly and Abbey either didn't play with toys or didn't have a favorite). Beds, leashes, other toys are passed along - I still have my leather obedience leash I bought for Patch over 20 years ago and have used it with every dog in their basic obedience classes. Coats (in good shape) that I couldn't use because of size, were donated to a local rescue.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I뭢 not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 03-24-2013, 12:09 PM
I'm All Ears

I actually used Nikki's collar for Ada since they were about the same size when we first found her. Then Ada busted it, which made me kind of sad. I still have it though. And Trey's. I use Trey's leash on occasion (usually a situation where I can't find a papillon leash).

I don't have much connection to my dog's 'things'. You can' ever see their collars so I get them cheap, non fancy collars.

Crates and stuff we re-use. I'm using Trey's crate for Summer's agility crate right now.

I love my pictures of them though.