Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-30-2013, 08:31 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I really wouldn't be looking in to it if I thought they would run through it. We're in a rural area and we routinely let the dogs out without any fence/tether when we're supervising. They stick around and don't wander off, we just want to keep them out of the neighbor's yard areas when we're inside and they aren't without having to tie them.

I was more interested in the practical implications, such as the collars being faulty/the transmitter not working properly, etc. But it sounds like no one has used them before. Lol

Old 03-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Top Dog

I used them, lol, they just sucked. I has MUCH better success with a remote trainer because if Gage didn't listen I could correct him, and could do it again, and control the correction, this is the same reason I don't like bark collars.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Technically ours worked fine. We had a petco model but this was over 10 years ago.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:27 PM
Top Dog

I used to dogsit two Goldens with an electric fence. It worked really well for them. They're not "runners" anyway and the way their house was set up, it wasn't near any main roads, and they had a huge backyard with only one house behind them. They were very aware of the 'line' not to cross. I used to throw the ball for them and sometimes it would accidentally cross over the line and they would just STOP.

I wouldn't personally use them but I think they work in some situations. I wouldn't feel comfortable letting small dogs out by themselves though without being out there with them, personally, simply because of other animals coming in/birds of prey, etc. I wouldn't use one on Jackson just because he's way too sensitive and I think a shock would make him never even want to go outside at all, LOL. He tends to associate things very easily with the place where a 'bad' thing happened.

Brit & Jackson