Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-30-2013, 10:12 AM
Top Dog

Question Travelling with a dog?

Ok, so Gwen and I will be doing our first ever road trip. On top of freaking out about dog event/meeting Chazzers/being alone I also have no idea what I should BRING. (Sizzle and Sael have helped on what to take to the actual event but as far as travelling goes... I could use some help.)

I'm looking at getting a travel crate (soft sided one) and I've found a couple that I like but I'm not sure if they're 'good'. Do you have any suggestions on getting a travel crate? Or should I not even bother and just use Gwen's wire crate? (Don't really want to use it since it's...heavy and bulky and just an overall pain. We didn't get it for mobility.) Oh and also, nothing top of line, expensive. SO is already freaking out on how much I"m spending on this trip. I am pulling out all the cute to purchase any other dog stuff (I would also need it by Wednesday. I know, I know. Probably rules out a lot of options. Sorry!)

Here is the one I'm thinking about buying. http://www.wayfair.com/ABO-Gear-Dog-...5-ABO1024.html

Since I'm not used to travelling (long distances) with a dog, how often do you stop? The drive is about 4 hours so I'm thinking a stop at about a halfway point would be enough? She's fairly used to car rides, just not the amount of time she'll be spending in the car on this trip. I think the longest trip she's been with us has been about an hour.

What are things you usually take when travelling with your dog(s)? (And if you know of any nifty dog bags, that would be awesome. Right now I have a crappy tote and everything just gets crammed in there. Thinking of getting a backpack but it would be cute to be dog themed!) I plan on taking several water bottles, a couple (three) day's worth of food, a couple toys, a crate, collar and leash (hoping I'll get her new one in before we leave!) and her shot records, since she just got them yesterday and I'm worried they'll get lost if I put them ON her. What else should I take?

And any other advice, suggestions would be great! We're staying for three days, two nights. Not sure what the weather will be. I'm going to assume it will rain at least one day, because that seems to be how the midwest is during this time.

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/
Old 03-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
...I'm looking at getting a travel crate (soft sided one) and I've found a couple that I like but I'm not sure if they're 'good'...
Just a heads up- soft sided crates are not safe for using in a vehicle. For that, go with the wire crate you already have, or buy something like a Vari Kennel. You can get a soft one to take into hotel/motels, etc, tho, and leave the wire/Vari Kennel in the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
Do you have any suggestions on getting a travel crate?...
I haven't seen that one before. I love my Noz2Noz crate, tho. It's easy to set up and carry, has a "door" on one side and an end and the top unzips, too.

Things we take when we travel with Caleb-
food- measured out by meals into quart zip lock bags. I add his dry supplements to each meal, and include extra meals.

water- we have a travel water container that I fill. I "top it off" with either bottled water or water from where we're staying.

health info-I keep copies of vaccines, micro chip info, titles, license info, etc in the glove box of each vehicle and also in our training bag. It made it real easy when we stayed at Langley AFB, and they wanted a copy of vaccination certs.

extra collar(s),leash(es) and ID tags- these are also in our training bag, which goes everyplace with us. The spare set has the same ID & microchip tag that Caleb's every day set has, plus the rabies tag (his every day set has his town license). I bought the ID and microchip tags from a place that makes replacement tags for the military, so they come two to a set. I also have extra leashes stashed away in each vehicle.

tag with local contact info- I have tags made up with phone numbers of family & friends who we visit. I started doing that before we had cell phones. They're nice to have in case there isn't cell service where you're staying.

grooming stuff- brush, comb, waterless shampoo, towel

first aide kit- the human one is always in the car, but when we travel, I take Caleb's, too.

long line- just in case I need to tie him out. I also take our hiking bag, which has his harness and a bell in it.

crate fan- when traveling in or to warm weather.

toys- just a couple of his favorites, and a bumper or two to toss.

pee pad- for putting under the water bucket in hotels, etc.

I think that's it. So much of what we take is either already in a vehicle or our training bag that I might have forgotten something.

ETA- how in the world did I forget- FOOD DISH! LOL
Old 03-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
Just a heads up- soft sided crates are not safe for using in a vehicle. For that, go with the wire crate you already have, or buy something like a Vari Kennel. You can get a soft one to take into hotel/motels, etc, tho, and leave the wire/Vari Kennel in the vehicle.

I haven't seen that one before. I love my Noz2Noz crate, tho. It's easy to set up and carry, has a "door" on one side and an end and the top unzips, too.

ETA- how in the world did I forget- FOOD DISH! LOL
Why are soft crates not advised for vehicles? Do they over-heat?

And I'll check out the Noz2Noz crate. (It seems green is the only color it comes in? That is SO not Gwen's color )

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Mutts to you

Soft-sided crates don't offer much protection in an accident.

What kind of car do you have? If we're traveling with the van, Riley goes in his wire crate (which is usually left in the van when we reach our destination). In the car, he's buckled into a harness in the back seat. Our trips are rarely less than six hours and we'll be heading on our marathon drive to the Outer Banks in a couple of months (18 hours straight thru). We stop every 2 hours to top off the tank, change drivers, give everyone a potty break and a chance to stretch legs. Riley generally sleeps most of the time.

I do have a plastic zip-closed folder/envelope which contains a copy of his vet records, ID numbers (CP and microchip #s), a photo of Riley and I, a list of people to call in case of emergency and a request to take him to the nearest vet (rather than a shelter) if we're in an accident. It's attached to his crate in the van and in one of the rear pockets of the car. (Which reminds me, I need to put his latest shot records in there). Not sure if emergency personnel will read it if there's an accident but at least there's something there. I also keep a copy of his shot records in my purse.

We bring lots of clean up bags, a roll of paper towels, dog towels which I put on the car seat for some extra padding, a couple of old bed sheets (throw one over the car seat or his bed in the crate to keep everything cleaner, since it's easy to shake out during stops - also use them on the floor of the hotel room), and bottled water so we don't have to rely on local water sources. Also bring a basic first aid kit in a compact case.

I don't have any cool dog bags either but I do have a large Sea Dog canvas tote. The stuff I need for the vacation week (food, toys, kongs, brushes, treats, leashes, etc) is in a small gym bag. Don't know if you'll be out walking at night, but since that's part of our vacation routine, I have a lighted collar for Riley and clip-on safety lights for me (some parts of the beach roads aren't well lit).

Have fun and don't forget the camera!! Photos of your trip and weekend are required!!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 03-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Top Dog

A soft crate isn't advised for a vehicle because it doesn't provide any safety in case of an accident. I don't know if it's more or less safe than letting a dog lose in the car or lower quality seat belts, though.

If you do get a soft crate, either for car use or motel/hotel use, just make sure you get her used to it at home first. Soft crates are much easier for Houdini dogs to break out of (or shift around), so don't just stick her in there in a hotel and expect her to stay.

One stop during a 4 hour ride should be fine for any healthy adult dog and even most puppies. An adult dog could probably honestly be fine bathroom wise, etc. in a car for 4 hours (plenty of dogs are crated that long and don't need to use the bathroom at home for that long) but if she's nervous, prone to car sickness, or eats/drinks a lot beforehand, a stop would be necessary. Plus I'M not really willing to drive for 4 hours without stopping.

I feel like everyone else in this thread are serious packers. I don't bring that much stuff leash, collar, meds, food/bowls, a toy, baggies, maybe a photo and copy of vet records if we're going somewhere I won't have access to a print/fax machine, but that's never happened. paper towels and cleaner I'd bring to a hotel, but not if I'm staying with family/friends (they already have that stuff). I've never regretting not having extra stuff during travel.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post

...I do have a plastic zip-closed folder/envelope which contains a copy of his vet records, ID numbers (CP and microchip #s), a photo of Riley and I, a list of people to call in case of emergency and a request to take him to the nearest vet (rather than a shelter) if we're in an accident. It's attached to his crate in the van and in one of the rear pockets of the car. (Which reminds me, I need to put his latest shot records in there). Not sure if emergency personnel will read it if there's an accident but at least there's something there...
I made a little sign that says "Health Info in Glove Box" that I taped to the over hang on the Vari Kennel door. Our vacations/weekends away are done in the Escape, which Caleb is crated in. I think I'll make something up for my wallet, too, in case something happens when we have the truck.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Top Dog

I use a wire crate in my car for traveling as it helps the dogs relax as well as contains any bones or chew things they have with them. Also, a wire crate or plastic crate will be your best bet as far as containing your dog in an accident (prevents them from becoming air-borne and flying at your head). I usually just bring in my wire crates if my dogs need to be crated elsewhere because even Zuma (who is awesome in a crate) will work at the zipper until she is free. I did just buy a new soft sided crate and hope to use it when I am there to supervise the dogs.

As far as what I bring for roadtrips otherwise:
-Paper towels and regular towels
-Poop bags!
-Kongs or bully sticks
-Extra leash and collar w/tags
-Vaccine certificate
-Flexi lead

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 03-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Top Dog

Ohhhh. Right. Yeah, I don't have an SUV or anything like that. A small Cobalt. Gwen usually just goes into the back seat and lays down. There's really not any room for a crate. My seats fold down a little bit but it's not level enough. I wouldn't trust a crate on them. And Gwen is well behaved in the car.

The crate would be for hotel use and maybe for events. I don't really plan on leaving her unsupervised but if I did it wouldn't be for long. I'm not really concerned with her trying to escape, she hasn't tried to in her wire crate. But I will put it in her in the crate we get at home to get her used to it.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:25 AM
Mutts to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
I feel like everyone else in this thread are serious packers. I don't bring that much stuff leash, collar, meds, food/bowls, a toy, baggies, maybe a photo and copy of vet records if we're going somewhere I won't have access to a print/fax machine, but that's never happened. paper towels and cleaner I'd bring to a hotel, but not if I'm staying with family/friends (they already have that stuff). I've never regretting not having extra stuff during travel.
I guess it sounds like a lot when listed but Riley's stuff fits in a small gym bag so it's not that bad. I learned the hard way about bringing bed sheets, paper towels and lots of clean up bags - we were heading home from the beach one year and my oldest dog (first time in 15 years) had an attack of diarrhea, in the van. It was pretty darned awful for all of us. Now I'd rather have the extra stuff and not need it than not have it.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 03-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
I guess it sounds like a lot when listed but Riley's stuff fits in a small gym bag so it's not that bad. ...
Pretty much the same here. Except for the first aid kit, water bowl, food, food bowl and toys, everything is already in Caleb's training bag or hiking bag.