Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-31-2013, 09:23 AM
Top Dog

I didn't like Tucker for the first two weeks, he was a puppy after all. I don't think I can bond with a young puppy, they always seem so generic to me. I remember having a MUCH harder time leaving my cats to go to college than leaving him. I still loved and cared about him of course. But I think my the first time I came home to visit I was able to start bonding with him since he'd toned the biting down. Over Christmas break is probably when he became totally my boy.

I formed an instant bond with a dog I met at the shelter a few weeks ago though, I've never fallen that head over heels for a dog before despite volunteering at shelters since early high school.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 03-31-2013, 10:42 AM
Allons-y!

With our very first dog, Danny, it took me maybe a month to warm up to him. I was in fourth grade when my parents surprised us with a 1 year old, 80 pound collie. Except for a couple weeks in a foster home, he had lived his whole life on a farm, and he was pretty wild at first. To be honest, I was afraid of him for a bit - we'd never had a dog before, and I hadn't really been around that many. I did bond with him pretty quickly after that, but he was never really "my" dog, even though I did most of his training.

Cricket was pretty instantaneous. I got her at four months old, and I knew she was mine as soon as I saw her peering out of her crate in the breeder's car. I had her out and walked around with her for maybe 10 minutes before I had to go help with something (this was at a dog show), so I gave her back to the breeder for a minute. She watched me go and whined. I already belonged to her.

Journey and Newton were a little different, because they were born in our house, so we were the first people they really bonded with.

Emily &:
CH Aurai Defying Gravity CL1-R - "Newton"
MBIF CH Tova's Don't Stop Believin' of Aurai CL1-S CGC - "Journey"
BIF/BISS CH Tova's Cricket Song of Ardmoor Farms CL2 CGC - "Cricket"
Visit us on Facebook!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:20 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
I hesitate to say it, because I waffle between believing you only get ONE heart dog, and believing you have to be super lucky to get a dog like a heart dog more than once, but our relationship is approaching that point. Sure, there are still crossed wires, and misscommunications, but even with my husband who actually speaks English and is capable of telling me in plain English how he's feeling in that actual moment we have the same issues. But really, Indy and I just "get" each other, much clearer than any of the other dogs I've worked with or had or have now.
This is kind of how I've grown to feel about Squash. Roxy was absolutely the best dog I've ever known, and when people use the term "heart dog" I think of her and that's her, exactly. When she died I was devastated and still hardly a day goes by that I don't think about her.

But my relationship/bond with Squash is turning out very similar. Sometimes it actually creeps me out a little, to be honest. And I don't think it has anything to do with getting him as a puppy... I'm not sure how to articulate it but he just seems to get what I'm asking from him and I get what he's asking from me. When we are working on skills or tricks, whether it's luring or shaping, he guesses correctly what I want much earlier in the process than my other dogs. If he's having trouble with something, I guess correctly what he needs to help him much better than I do with the other dogs. Maybe it's a by product of working so much with him, but at least some of it is just the way he is.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:30 AM
I'm All Ears

Nikki was definitely my childhood heart dog, if that is possible. She was so special to me. And Sumer, she's been absolutely amazing. We don't 'get' each other in quite the same way, though. But she's seen me through so much.

Mia is my little girl though. Through and through and the feeling seems to be mutual. We are together constantly as much as possible. All the other dogs will be in another room and Mia is curled up at my feet. We are total opposites in so many ways. Mia is loud and super active. I'm pretty quiet and chill. We're both a little obsessive and antisocial though. I don't know why but Mia is just right for me. Luckily I like her since everyone else finds her tiresome.

The funny thing is that Nikki and Mia are a lot alike in a lot of ways. My family does say that Nikki was nicer and not as obnoxious but a lot of their temperament traits overlap.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:31 AM
Ball Thrower

A friend sent me a pic of Chase and I was like, "meh", but then I saw a pic of his brother and I was in instant love with the brother, Versace. SO I contacted the breeder and asked him to bring both male puppies. I loved the look of Versace, but Chase was the one I connected with... He was so cute and affectionate and when I went to go look at his brother, he followed close behind. He didn't leave my side the entire time I was deciding, Chase kinda chose me. I took him home that day.

Our bond was instant. He never cried if I was close, but if I left the room he would follow me immediately whining if I moved too fast for him to keep up. I think umbilical training really helped us bond more closely as well. It's only been recently that he goes outside by himself and leaves the room I'm in.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:17 PM
Got Floof?

The bond between Kobe and I took several years. I loved him from the get go, but he always felt more like Ollie's friend not my dog. It wasn't until it was just me and him that our bond deepened and I fell in love. At this point in my life, I could not take care of 99% of dogs with my 12 hour work days and semi-frequent work trips.

I almost feel as though it was some kind of fate that brought him to me. I can't imagine life without a dog. Kobe saved me from that. He has become a very special dog to me in his own way, in ways that Priscilla and Ollie could never have.

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13

Old 04-01-2013, 04:43 AM
Blackout

It took abit. The first few weeks were OK. The difficult part came at about 4 - 6 months. Holy hell... Literal blood, sweat, and tears. It was really frustrating for both of us and there were alot of ups & downs. But funnily, working through that actually bonded us alot closer lol.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 04-01-2013, 09:13 AM
aka RedHotBabe

I hated her, and she hated me. She was not the puppy I wanted, and she had no interest in me. I was the one baiting her while she was being stacked on the table at three months, and she just looked at me as if to say, "**** you and **** your cheese." She puked all over herself on the car ride home, and I got to carry her puke-soaked puppy self to the bathroom. She slept draped over my chest that night. I wouldn't call that the point where I decided I loved her, but I did decide that she might be somewhat okay. Until she started screaming and destroying everything in sight... She's a hard dog to bond with. Despite living a large portion of her life with my parents and sisters, she has no real connection to them. She's fond of Adam, but he's more of her second choice. She gets me, and if she didn't use that understanding to constantly irritate me for her amusement, I might appreciate it more.

Duke was definitely almost instant. He was much more mild-mannered and respectful, and not an obnoxious puppy. He was a huge bundle of nerves, but his overwhelming desire to please made him endearing. I don't think we ever came to know and understand each other like Rumor and I have, but I liked him much quicker than I did Rumor.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Top Dog

With Charlotte it was. From the moment my husband sent me a picture of her and said "I adopted this dog!", I melted instantly.

With Ma'ii, I was very happy we got him, but the bond took time.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 04-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Mainstreme Elitist

I loved Cara from the moment I saw her, she was mine and I was hers and we never looked back. However with every other dog I've had it's taken a bit, it took nearly a week for Mercy to really feel like "my" dog.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet