Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-30-2013, 09:52 AM
I'm All Ears

And Mia... oh boy. So I was sitting in my new apartment all alone after moving in. I had nothing in there except a cot and a pillow and a computer. So of course I am thinking 'I can get a new dog!' I knew it was going to be hard living alone with Summer and her SA. She did much better with another dog around so that was my excuse... Started poking around online and emailed a few breeders about adults they had as well as talking to a rescue about a pap they had (who turned out to have a bite history).

Mia's breeder replied and said she didn't think the adult would work for me but this puppy might. So we talked a bit and I just decided to go for the puppy. It was pretty impulsive to be honest. We went and picked Mia up and she was very unsure of me. We sat on the couch at the breeder's and Mia started warming up after a couple minutes. Then she was being cute and playful and I decided to take her home. So my sister and I loaded her up into the car. All was good until we got about halfway down the driveway. Then the screaming started. Oh the screaming... About two miles later the puking started. The screaming and the puking lasted for pretty much the entire near 7 hour drive.

So that was a fun start to things. Got her home and she played with the other dogs well. Then screamed all night. Literally all night. For weeks. But about three days in the two of us were playing in the yard and she looked up at me while she was zipping all around me with a big grin on her face and I just knew. From then on it got easier even though she was still screaming all night long and still just plain trouble.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Top Dog

HAHA the funny thing with Ivan is it wasn't love at first sight with me. BUT for him it was. HE.JUST.KNEW... He was everything I wasn't looking for, a heavy spotted, dark eared dalmatian. I was upfront with his breeder from the get go about what I had wanted. I had just lost my previous dal about 4 months before I met the litter for the first time. When we got there, all the puppies where sleeping, Ivan was the first to wake up, and come over. When everyone else woke up they started playing. Ivan on the other hand was on the otherside of that x-pen waiting for me to notice him. As we spent the evening there, going over puppies. She told me that if I really wanted a show quality puppy it was between Ivan and his brother (who was lighter spotted than Ivan). So I tried to play with both. She sent me home to think about it.
I went back up 2 weeks later, and Ivan remembered me. He came running and wasn't content until I was holding him. So he was mine. Not what I had wanted but what I had needed

Old 03-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Let it be

With Bandit I just knew we would be a good fit. He was a very nervous dog and has always felt at ease with me. With that quick of a spark I knew with time it was just going to get better.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Top Dog

Oh I forgot about childhood dogs.

We got Daisy, the Golden Retriever when I was 4 years old. I had of course been begging for a puppy... but my dad was always a dog lover too, so we ended up picking out a Golden puppy. Of course I loved her dearly, and she was so tolerant of me, but she ended up being more my dads dog through and through. When my mom and dad were going through a tough divorce and he was alone on Holidays for the first time, he said Daisy was the only one there for him. They got really close after that. And when she was diagnosed with cancer at age 8, he had $5000 surgery for her, and she was kept alive for another 2+ years and lived a happy life until the cancer came back around 10. Putting her to sleep was really hard for me. My dad and I had a long cry together in the car, and it was the first time I'd seen him cry.

Sadie, on the other hand, was our German Shepherd puppy. My dad felt bad for me after parents separated so... got me a puppy. BYB again in Baltimore City, LOL, but I remember walking in and having a choice of all the pups that were downstairs. But there was one puppy that was upstairs, barking at herself in the mirror below the TV, and I said "I want THAT one!" The owner was really reluctant, he was going to keep that one. He eventually caved and let me take her. I KNEW I wanted that one.

We had a great bond, even with me being only 10yrs old, she was my girl through and through. Obviously I didn't have financial responsibility etc for her, but she would spent the night in my room, go to sleep with me until I fell asleep, and then head to the basement (where she liked to sleep on the couch). She got a little overly protective of me though, and unfortunately got PTS by Animal Control when she was 4. I came home from high school, on my first day of HS at a BRAND new school, and found out my dog was gone. I literally cried for days and days. I was so devastated. I always think about her and how we failed her and what we could've done better. I really miss that dog.

We got Carmen, the cockapoo, for my little brother Connor from a pet store. We really bonded to her moreso after Connor passed away. That was when she became a REAL part of the family. She knew something was wrong, and she very much attached herself to us. When my mom got pregnant with my little sister, that dog would lay with her every night and 'protect' her. Once I got Jackson, she was very mad at me for a few weeks. "How dare you bring this puppy into my home?!" but it didn't take the long for the two to be good friends. She taught him the ropes... I really really miss her. After I had Jackson, she turned into my second dog because I was buying stuff for him, so would feel bad if I didn't bring it home for her too. She got hit by a car at 4 1/2.

Brit & Jackson

Old 03-30-2013, 11:24 AM
such sights to show you

Pip was instant. I had seen his picture on Petfinder and arranged a meeting to see if he would get along with Roxy, with the intention of going home and thinking about it after the meeting. But we went home with him that day. We just clicked straightaway.

Maisy... well, I wrote about Maisy in the other thread. I had lost my old Roxy girl and for the first time experienced the desire to have another dog that was the same breed/type as a previous dog, so I was looking for rottie mixes on Petfinder. We had met 3-4 dogs before her that we didn't click with, and then when we met her I just felt like... I REALLY like this dog. It wasn't quite the same click as Pip, but I just had a feeling about her that things would work out. Knowing her now, I don't thinks she has much if any rottie in her at all, she's very houndy. And looking back now I realize I did really want a Roxy clone, which she really is not at all. She is really different than any dog I've ever had and presented me with some challenges I haven't faced before, so it took some time for me to appreciate her as herself and click with her - I would say 12-18 months. Not that I ever didn't LIKE her, but it took that long to build up that "we belong to each other" really deep bond. But we made it there, it really did work out.

Squash... oh, Squash. I fell in love with him over the internet. Even when he was a tiny, tiny wee baby, I just had a THAT'S MY DOG feeling every time I looked at his pictures. When I filled out a puppy application, it turned out that nekomi agreed that out of the litter he was the best fit for us, and home he came. BUT having said that... he was an independent little puppy. I mean, he was always friendly and people-oriented, but he wasn't a lovey-dovey cuddly puppy, he is WAY too busy and curious for that. So I always felt the bond, but it wasn't always reciprocated in exactly the way I imagined it would be, if that makes sense. Our bond has grown and matured as he has matured, though, and now it really is everything I had imagined when I thought THAT'S MY DOG.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:27 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Auggie and I were a pair as soon as I picked him up to take him home. Never any question.

Payton was only slightly different. I was so busy spending the days before picking him up distancing myself from the puppy in the photos because it was only a maybe. I saw the puppy when we pulled up and had to steel myself to not fall in love immediately.
I was VERY relieved that I got to take him home because oh God. The first couple of days were this bizarre mix of "WHAT DID I JUST DO?!" and "Yaaaaay, puppy!!" But I loved him. I just loved him. I took him to the vet Friday morning and we stopped by the feed store next door, and Auggie's breeder told me "My husband called to tell me you brought the puppy by and was like 'She just loves that puppy.'" Everybody could tell. And he thought I was the bee's knees too. I mean really, it just felt RIGHT. I knew without a doubt that I had the right dog and I was the right person for him and it was like he knew too. So really, we bonded almost right away, even though half the time I was still like "What the heck did I just do?! Did I really buy a puppy??" ahahaha.

Pepper is a different story. I knew her when she was a tiny puppy and came to live with Auggie's breeder. She was a wild and crazy little girl when I saw her again in May. I already liked her. She moved in and she was such a mess and I was having a terrible time. Because I loved her and she loved me almost from the word go. We bonded like quick setting super glue and it was killing me that she wasn't working out, Auggie was depressed with her around, she was terrified of my dad, she couldn't settle down, it was just a disaster. What do you do with a dog who is a terrible fit but you love them desperately? It was horrible and I hope I never have to go through it again. Pepper is different. Pepper gets a pass. I love her very much and there is no doubt she is my girly. But I hope I never have another dog who is completely the wrong fit for me.

As far as other dogs, I kind of hated Happy for a while, but he was a brat who knew how to worm his way into somebody's heart. I mean I didn't REALLY hate him, it's just kind of funny to say. He was a terrible puppy LOL. I was glad to be leaving him behind after spending a couple weeks helping raise him, until he spent that last night curled up sleeping on my feet. Little f$*@er! Truthfully we were bonding that entire godawful couple of weeks and that was SO Happy, but it was a horrible experience hahaha. It was not an enjoyable bonding time. XD

Kota I didn't really bond with until after my sister moved here. The short amounts of time we spent together prior to that weren't really enough to grow anything between us. There wasn't any kind of adjustment period where I was like "I don't like Kota," of course I liked him. But that deep, quiet bond that we had didn't happen until he was here every day and we interacted a lot. I think because he was just kind of a quiet dog and it took spending lots of quiet time with him to grow that bond.

And Henri, oh Henri, I adore Henri. We haven't really gotten a strong bond going because I haven't spent a long amount of time with him but he totally knows I'm Auntie Beanie and he loves me. If he had to spend a weekend with me or something I'm sure I'd be a goner for him pretty quickly.

Georgie gets a bit of a free pass for being Auggie's niecelette LOL. There's no way I wasn't going to love her. And she is a very complimentary kind of dog for me. I was always afraid my parents were going to get fed up with her and Georgie was going to have to move in with me LOL, so I kept my heart quite open for her. For the first few months she didn't spend a lot of time with me because I had baby Pay and we were keeping them apart, but I helped my mom with her and got to play with her some. I sometimes wonder if Georgie likes me better than my mom, because I play the best games hahaha. I wouldn't say we developed a bond quickly because it took time since we only interacted in chunks, but it was a rather effortless experience. As opposed to the horrible painful experience with Happy hahaha. Oh Happy...

So yeah, I would say in most cases it happens pretty quickly... even with Pepper, who is not my kind of dog, we bonded rapidly and that's exactly why it was such rough going (and still kind of is LOL.) And even with horrible baby Happy haha. I also hope I never have another "I love you because you are so wretched" experience again. It was not a MAGICAL BONDING EXPERIENCE. I would rather have magical bonding experiences!!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 03-30-2013, 11:36 AM
Top Dog

Now with my boy, Jack:

It wasn't really love at first sight. My mom gave me permission to get THAT dog, there was no choice. I had just returned an Aussie to Aussie rescue because he was biting my dad in the face at every opportunity. I wasn't allowed to choose the next dog (we already had 4 at the time) -- my parents had to approve. I never thought they'd give an approval to get dog #5 so when my mom found Jack at a rescue adoption event and told me she and my dad liked him I jumped at the opportunity.

We brought him home and he seemed to like everybody the same and we didn't really bond until a few months after I brought him home, I went on vacation for a month. When I came back it was CLEAR he was MY dog. And since then he's been all mine. He acts differently around me and I love him more than I thought I could love a dog.

He's living with my parents because he has anxiety with new situations and he has been living comfortably there for 8 years. (I tried once & he was miserable for 9 days). It's to the point now that Crossbone is settled and I would love for Jack to come live with us because the boys ADORE each other. But now that Micki and Kyra have passed, Jack and Mini are the only two left with my parents. Mini is 11 and at this point and it wouldn't be fair to take Jack away and leave her as an only dog for the first time in her life. So when Mini passes, I will be more than happy to have my old man, my best boy, my heart dog home with me <3 (I was feeling guilty for getting Crossbone instead of being more proactive about working on getting Jack able to live with us -- but now that Micki & Kyra are gone, I know leaving Jack was the best thing for my parents and for Mini)
Old 03-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Top Dog

Day one. When I went to look at the litter when they were four weeks old, she was the one that climbed up into my arms and fell asleep. She was the puppy I couldn't put down. I would have been very slightly heartbroken if the breeder had chosen a different puppy for me.

Nothing changed when I brought her home, which surprised me a little. I expected the bond to take time, but it didn't.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:07 PM
orange iguanas.

Ha. Hahaha. Hahahahahahha.

I did not bond with Juno until she was... almost 2 years old? Sure, I liked her at first because she was just a cute silly puppy, then as she got older the real "fun" started. She was a constant source of frustration and tears for me. Every day still had good moments, but lots of bad ones too. I had no intention of her being "my" dog - I was going to have her stay with my parents whenever I finally moved out, and I had no issues with it. The thing is, you could always tell SHE was bonded to me. I just didn't feel the same.

We finally started clicking better when she matured and got a little more sense. Now I adore the crap out of this dog and think she's the best thing on the planet.

I think I bonded with Happy pretty quickly. And I think she did as well.

I don't have a bond with Lucy.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 03-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Within 2 days, I went from being terrified of dogs and hating Rosey to not being able to imagine life without her... And I still can't. She was a family dog, but she was my girl through and through, there's not question about that.

For the ferrets..
Rascal was absolutely love at first sight. I had wanted a ferret for so long, and he was just perfect.

Renegade and Rogue, I had met previously and took them in because I felt like it was my responsibility to make sure they were safe. Don't know why. Didn't really bond with Rogue until he was really sick. Renegade and I are still bonding, but probably a year and a half ago it hit me that he is my boy, so it took a year and a half.

Harley, she was cute but I had no plans to take her. The rescue kept telling me she's meant to be with me, and when the opportunity came up, she proved it. So she bonded to me right away, I took a few months to catch up, but when she was finally mine, the bond was there.

Ella is the most frustrating ferret ever. I'm not sure we're really bonded, we're working on it, but I love her and she is mine.

Nacho was, again, love at first sight. We've become super bonded, and if the day comes that I have to give him up, it will absolutely crush me.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13