Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

Default Other people "correcting" your dogs?

Being a dog person in a largely "non dog person" world, I sometimes get people trying to "train" or "correct" my dogs ... sometimes in my own home! Personally I am the type of person that my dogs are part of my home life & my life in general ... so in my own house, I personally dont feel like I have to put them away or shut them away, its their house too! they live there too! If someone doesnt like it, they can GTHO.

Your thoughts?
Old 04-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Not cool.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Not cool.
Pretty much this.
Haven't run into it too much though thankfully!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:26 PM
Got Floof?

I don't care unless it's a physical correction (i.e. hitting him.. gently pushing him away is fine). If it's a physical correction I just call Kobe to me and make a mental note not to invite this person over and to avoid them.

My ex-girlfriend wanted to learn how to train Kobe, and saw some stuff about alpha rolling. She asked me if it was a good idea to alpha roll Kobe. I said yes.

Hilarity ensued.

Once I could breathe again, I explained to her how to actually train him.

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13

Old 04-21-2013, 12:42 PM
such sights to show you

It depends on what my dogs are doing and what the correction is.

If my dog is jumping on them, begging, or obnoxiously attention seeking by nudging/pawing/otherwise harassing them then I think they have a right to "correct" that behavior if I'm not intervening or there to intervene... just like I would expect the same right if I was being bugged by someone else's dog.

Having said that, harsh physical correction would be completely unacceptable.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:50 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Big fat dislike. There are a few people who I don't mind, like my brother because we live together and he has every right to, he knows what they are allowed and not allowed to do and what is an acceptable correction. Or my close friend because we're together so much she'll correct in the same exact way I do. But mostly she just lets her get away with murder and that drives me nuts too

But other people? Strangers? no thank you

BUT I will say that I am always on top of my dogs... I can't imagine a situation when they did something that needs corrected and I didn't prevent it or correct it from happening myself. They're not allowed to jump on people or steal food or anything like that.
AND I guess on the flip side, if someone's dog is jumping on me and they're owners won't do anything about it repeatedly , I'd probably side step and say "no"

Double standard? Maybe

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 04-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Feel free to tell my dogs off if they are on you or go lay down if they are pestering you. Otherwise, naw, it's my problem.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
It depends on what my dogs are doing and what the correction is.

If my dog is jumping on them, begging, or obnoxiously attention seeking by nudging/pawing/otherwise harassing them then I think they have a right to "correct" that behavior if I'm not intervening or there to intervene... just like I would expect the same right if I was being bugged by someone else's dog.

Having said that, harsh physical correction would be completely unacceptable.
Some of my friends have horribly behaved dogs. I'm not gonna be mauled just bc said friends are too lazy to train or correct their dogs. I'll often snap my fingers, turn around, something to get the dog to get off me or chill out.

It's only dogs I know well though.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Little dog, big voice

I don't think anyone else, aside from my mom or sister, has tried correcting Cali. She's pretty well-behaved, if you exclude the fact that she's very vocal and gets wound up very easily. She barks and barks and barks whenever my mom or I get home until she gets attention... and we haven't had much success fixing it, so we just wait until she's settled down to give her lots of attention. I do get annoyed by my sister when she tries correcting her, sorry, but yelling no at her and waving your arms around is not going to quiet her down... if anything, she'll get more wound up.

It also annoys me when my mom uses hand signals that I've already assigned to something else, especially when she raises her index finger and says no... it's the hand signal for "sit" so I don't want Cali getting it mixed up.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:16 PM
Top Dog

I hate it. Especially if they yell at Nia to do something or not do something..

For example, when someone comes in, Nia may be very excited... I usually let her because she doesn't jump on people or anything she wiggles really hard and grabs her toys. Some people I've seen have said STOP STOP NO SIT SIT SIIIIITTTT! Which doesn't do anything and also scares Nia. I would prefer that they tell me that she's bothering them and I can tell her to go upstairs or something like that.

Unless of course she's attacking someone or something like that (which she never does..and doesn't have any inclination to), I don't see a very good reason for people to be correcting my dog. Especially if they don't really understand dogs.

I try my best not to correct other people's dogs either because we all want different behavior from our animals and what I like to see may not be what someone else wants to see. Unless their dogs are jumping/snapping at me or my dog, I don't correct them.