Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-29-2013, 02:42 PM
Mutts to you

Most of what everyone else said -

Training classes

Not feeding ol' roy or purina or iams...

The slide show screensaver on my work computer - I think I have 2 photos of human family and 20 something of the dogs.

Neither Sis nor I see anything strange about staying with the dog in the car while the other shops (on those rare occasions we have to stop at a grocery store and have a dog with us).

Decline invitations to happy hour after work because I'd rather go home and play with the dogs than sit in a smoky bar with non-dog people

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 03-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Top Dog

Food. Oh, the food. And supplements. People don't understand why I don't just grab a bag of "whatever's on sale" at the grocery store. My family doesn't understand that mealtimes are an EVENT, not just dumping some kibble in a bowl.

I spend a lot of time talking to the "average" dog owner at work, and giving them advice about the problems and questions they bring to me. Sometimes they're responsive. Sometimes not. People don't have time to add supplements to their pets food, don't have time to take a training class or consult a trainer. They can't afford to take their pet to the vet. The idea of stuffing food inside a Kong to occupy a dog disgusts some people.

I've spoken to customers about my dogs allergies, reactivity, and separation anxiety. When I explain what I did to work through various issues, I generally get the "That's nice. But I can't spend time/money/energy doing all that."
Old 03-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
The work I went through with Frodo for his separation anxiety. I had a person come into work with a VERY anxious Vizsla that had severe SA. I talked to him for a while about some of the things we did (Relaxation Protocol, switching up routines, etc etc etc.) and at the end he was like "Honestly, that's crazy. I'm not going to be going through that"

Mmmm, okay. Little bit offended there.

He bought a Thundershirt and the dog tore it off herself in the crate and shredded it.
This! I've gotten this so many times! I talk about Missy's SA and Thundershirts and Kongs and routines and TRAINING. I've gotten asked multiple times why I didn't find her a new home.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:26 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

- Obsession with food/poop consistency and frequency LOL
- That I have 3 (well, now 4, but my family doesn't know yet)
- That I show/compete, and the ridiculous amounts of money spent on that
- My only vacation since getting married involved DH and I going to Missouri for Nationals last year
- All birthday/Christmas gifts are centered around pet store gift cards
- Training class after training class after fun run after training class
- That I teach classes on weekends (though my family thinks that makes me somewhat legit since I'm getting paid to do dog stuff)
- My idea of an awesome present from DH is him helping me build agility equipment
- What I went through, and am still going through, with Kimma and her SA/random fear issues, including meds
- I would rather spend an evening home with them than out with people most of the time
- Time spent on grooming (and I know my guys don't need nearly as much as other dogs!)
- Collection of pictures and ribbons throughout my house

ETA - Oh, and at work we had the kids do a project in which they used various shapes to represent their family members. My assistant teachers and I also did one. Yeah, I had me, my DH, Kimma, Pen, Bubbles, Jari, and Nika. I'm awesome

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 21 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 7 years old (M)
Old 03-29-2013, 03:33 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
And also that Juno is on Prozac. "Your DOG is on ANTIDEPRESSANTS? What is she depressed about????" Lol.
Oh god yes. That Pip is on clomipramine and we gate/rotate and have worked hard on behavioral modification to get the boys friendly with each other again... I definitely get an element of "that's so hard why not just give one of them away??" from time to time, not so much from close friends but there's a reason I don't talk about it a lot.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:45 PM
Little dog, big voice

Forgot to mention chews/toys/etc... probably the biggest part.

"You just spent how much on beef tracheas for her?"
"Why would you buy her a jacket?"
"Why do you have a toothbrush for your dog?"
"Why are you spending money on your dog when she already has toys?"
"You bought her a what? A lifejacket?"
"(insert awkward silence while I talk about Cali's new tricks)"
"Why bother taking her for a walk when it's so muddy?"
"Socialization? What's that?"

I am so, so, so excited for when I can move to a more dog friendly place and maybe make friends who will share my "obsession". I become almost livid and saddened whenever I walk down certain roads in my town. One family has both a boxer and a husky in a kennel outside. I have never seen them out of the kennel, and I've walked by at various times during the day. I can't fathom keeping any dog outside, especially not a boxer in the freezing cold winter. Dog owners around here infuriate me for the most part.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I own four. LOL
This. But add a dog.

Also, my willingness to happily feed raw skeeves people out, I find. Especially working at a less than openminded-about-raw vet.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:49 PM
Silence, peasants.

I actually don't run into that many 'casual dog owners', lol. But yeah, definitely the whole feeding something that isn't iams/science diet/etc. Or when I ask the vet questions they weren't expecting and they're like 'huh wut?'.

Feistea, ze Blog
Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 03-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
I actually don't run into that many 'casual dog owners', lol. But yeah, definitely the whole feeding something that isn't iams/science diet/etc. Or when I ask the vet questions they weren't expecting and they're like 'huh wut?'.
I saw your sister at the park yesterday!!!! LOL

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Top Dog

- Dental cleaning and teeth brushing. It's not something I really bring up, but living at home, my step-dad has caught me brushing his teeth and thinks I'm nuts. Sees no point in putting a dog under to get their teeth cleaned.
- agility and dog sports. Once I brought up that I did a training class with him with "all those obstacles" to my good friend and she kinda laughed. I don't think she thought I was serious.
- lifejacket. For some odd reason, I had a friend totally laugh and be like "Your dog wears a LIFEJACKET!" This is one of those things that I truly don't think is weird, like at all?
- my step-sister once saw me post on the Paco FB page and bulked at the fact that I paid over $60 for a dog collar.
- that I won't leave my dog in the car to go into places where I may be a while (grocery store, mall, etc). My friend was thoroughly shocked when she had to run in grocery store and I wouldn't go in with her (because I had Jax with me).

I will say though, when it comes to... in general, this area is very dog friendly and many people care very greatly about their pets. I'm probably just a notch more extreme lol. But I feel right at home at the dog park for example. Most people there are real interested in food, etc. And we have a couple of really nice high-end pet boutiques around here.

Brit & Jackson