Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-29-2013, 11:37 AM
Sit! Good dog.

I think the obsession in general... Anything past owning a dog and it being part of the furniture is considered a little weird.

The dogs have their own Facebook pages....

The fact that most of what I post or discuss on my own Facebook is dog related.......

I think most people just know that's who I am though certainly no one has ever said anything nasty about it (to my face haha). Most people I know, know I wouldn't care what they thought anyway
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 03-29-2013, 11:52 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Um, a lot.

Mentioning the chiropractor is usually a really excellent way to get bizarre looks. I suggested it to a friend for her senior dog once and her husband almost flipped his s*$* over it.

The fact that I have intact dogs.

The training and trialing in various sports or just stupid stuff for fun. Some people think it's cool and some people are like "You do what? Why?" One of my friends was talking with a mutual acquaintance at a party with me, and I mentioned I had to get home and let the dogs out, and he turned to the acquaintance and said, "Her dogs are badass." and then went on to talk about the agility stuff and how accomplished Auggie was. Wait, whaaaat?? He's never even indicated that he thinks the agility stuff is cool before and suddenly he's all "Her dogs are badass!" It was kind of awesome actually LOL. But I think *I* was looking at him like he was crazy. Like "Where is this coming from all of a sudden? Nobody else ever talks about my dogs, let alone says they're badass. WHO ARE YOU?"

The whole not thinking four dogs is a lot of dogs thing. And/or whenever I mention wanting a puppy...

My dogs all being related is another one. For even bigger shiggles, I like to explain how they are all related. "Well Auggie is Payton and Pepper's cousin once removed. Payton and Pepper are half-siblings. And Pepper's sister is Georgie's mom and Auggie's brother is Georgie's dad. So Payton is Georgie's half-uncle." I can almost see their brains exploding. Bwah ha ha.

I think most people in general would find the fact that I bought a house heavily influenced just because of the size of the backyard so I can work my dogs to be totally crazy. And they probably wouldn't be totally incorrect either.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 03-29-2013, 11:56 AM
Top Dog

Agility.

"What are you doing this weekend?"
"Going to an agility trial."
"Does that get expensive?"
"Yeah, it's $140/weekend usually."
"What are the prizes?"
"Uhhh...a 25 cent ribbon."

Old 03-29-2013, 11:57 AM
I'm All Ears

I don't really talk about my dog obsession unless people ask. I've had people ask 'Doing anything fun tonight!' 'Oh yeah, dog training class!' And get blank looks. I'm pretty sure my non dog friends just think my dogs have terrible issues that I am constantly having to go to obedience training to fix. I mentioned agility once and got a 'wtf' look. I just don't tell them how much I spend/how often I'm out training my dogs.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:00 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Ummm I like to run around a PVC obstacle course with my dogs. Further, I obsess on this and actually wander around the countryside competing agains other people to see who can do it the fastest. And refer to a top-notch run as beautiful, elegant, or poetic.

Relative to that, the mountains of dog gear, dog-centric vehicle and residence setup, travelling for a puppy, owning more than two dogs, vacationing to visit my dogs' breeders, borrowing a puppy, massive ortho surgery and rehab, therapy, raising livestock for healthy dog food, fifty thousand pictures of the dogs, and a general education and willingness to debate the most frivolous nuances of dog ownership, training, etc. really don't seem as crazy as they would otherwise.

I don't actually get much weirdness about the rawdiet thing. Maybe by the point they've already decided I'm a nutter and just take it in stride.

That is, if folks even know about any of the above. Many don't even know I own dogs, or if they do they don't know anything beyond that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
  • Meeting dog people in real life that I met online. Because serial killer.
And to think, of all days that's the one that I had forgotten my chainsaw. Drat.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 03-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

The work I went through with Frodo for his separation anxiety. I had a person come into work with a VERY anxious Vizsla that had severe SA. I talked to him for a while about some of the things we did (Relaxation Protocol, switching up routines, etc etc etc.) and at the end he was like "Honestly, that's crazy. I'm not going to be going through that"

Mmmm, okay. Little bit offended there.

He bought a Thundershirt and the dog tore it off herself in the crate and shredded it.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 03-29-2013, 12:07 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Agility.

"What are you doing this weekend?"
"Going to an agility trial."
"Does that get expensive?"
"Yeah, it's $140/weekend usually."
"What are the prizes?"
"Uhhh...a 25 cent ribbon."

What are you doing this weekend?

Oh, just getting together with friends (at an agility trial with our dogs where we will battle for blue and give each other hell an have a great time).

Oh nice, where ya headed? (clearly thinking I'm heading to a bar like normal people)

Oh, probably down around *named city the trial is in*

Oh you should check out *names favorite club/bar/restaurant*!

Thanks, maybe we will! Have a good one!

(lol)

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 03-29-2013, 12:21 PM
Little dog, big voice

My friends just think my "obsession" is plain weird... so I avoid talking dog to people because honestly, I can get a little uptight about that sort of stuff. I had to bite my tongue the other day when a friend said her aunt is letting her train her horses this summer... when this friend has almost no experience. I'd love to have someone to talk dog with all the time though... some day, maybe.

Firstly, everyone thinks I'm incredibly weird for wanting to start Cali on freeze-dried raw this summer.

Secondly, wanting to take a bunch of dog sport classes at $100/class for the eight weeks.

Thirdly, bringing her places to socialize. I have a friend whose family is wanting a GSD this spring, and my jaw literally dropped when she said when she brought up socialization that her parents said "what's that?". I cannot even fathom getting a GSD, much less from a BYB, and not socializing him/her. Any dog really. I can remember this friend came with us one time when I took Cali to an agility trial (where I briefly met AgilityPup) for socialization and then proceeded to eat my lunch in the car when they all went to the mall. She thought I was crazy.

Lastly, how much time I spend with her. Most people around here are minimalist so to speak when it comes to their dogs. One walk a day, no training or little, feeding Pedigree/Purina because they simply don't know better, etc.

Also, my friend and I did a project for our media studies class and used Cali's pictures on the slide. She thought I was nuts when I showed her my Flickr that contains a couple hundred pictures of Cali, and sadly, that's only maybe 10% of them.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Top Dog

-Raw and my obsession with finding deals on raw
-Weekends spent at trials
-Traveling for dog events
-Importing two dogs from half way around the world and then driving across the country to pick up said dogs
-I have three (which I always point out that in the dog world, three is NOTHING)
-That I got o JoAnn's to buy fleece and ribbon to make dog leads
-That I converted the back of my car into a dog crate haven
-Requests for birthday presents/holiday presents that revolve around the dogs
-Taking an unusual amount of pictures of my dogs
-That I spend hours online researching pedigrees
-Meeting people I met online and not questioning that they are murders because, well "they are dog people!"

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 03-29-2013, 12:32 PM
Top Dog

Chiropractic & massage
Raw feeding
Safely contained in a car 99.9% of the time
SO MANY CRATES
So many collars/leashes/harnesses
Coats/boots in winter
Supplements
Routine bloodwork
Routines and structure...?