Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Resident fainting goat

The little prince
By Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

The Little Prince describes his journey from planet to planet, each tiny world populated by a single adult. It's a wonderfully inventive sequence, which evokes not only the great fairy tales but also such monuments of postmodern whimsy as Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities. And despite his tone of gentle bemusement, Saint-Exupéry pulls off some fine satiric touches, too.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:38 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
As all supreme ruler of this thread LOL can we please not turn this into a debate about the bible?
The answer is what YOU FEEL everyone should read. Everyone should feel free to say what they feel.

I personally am not a fan of the "good book" but hey, different books speak to dofferent people!
Maybe they FEEL that everyone should read the bible. I mean, how can you say that everyone should feel free to say what they feel... Unless you feel people should read the bible? Those who have said that they think people should read the bible have stted why they feel that way and I think that's fair and none of those rwasons even brought up religious beliefs really. I was actually going to list the Bible but I knew that wouldn't be received well.

I don't know that any book has changed my life. There have been many books that have made me extremely emotional but actually changed my life... I an't think of any. My favorite story of all time though is Charlottes Web by EB White. I don't know what it is about it but I just love it

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 03-28-2013, 06:40 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
The little prince
By Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

The Little Prince describes his journey from planet to planet, each tiny world populated by a single adult. It's a wonderfully inventive sequence, which evokes not only the great fairy tales but also such monuments of postmodern whimsy as Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities. And despite his tone of gentle bemusement, Saint-Exupéry pulls off some fine satiric touches, too.
Did they make a little kids show about that? I seem to remember a little cartoon that I think was called the little prince.

May have just been a Canadian thing? Tell me I am not crazy!

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 03-28-2013, 06:42 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
Maybe they FEEL that everyone should read the bible. I mean, how can you say that everyone should feel free to say what they feel... Unless you feel people should read the bible? Those who have said that they think people should read the bible have stted why they feel that way and I think that's fair and none of those rwasons even brought up religious beliefs really. I was actually going to list the Bible but I knew that wouldn't be received well.
I think you misunderstood my post. That's exactly what I was saying.

I didn't want the bible to be debated because I think people should feel free to say that they think everyone should read the bible. For whatever reason!

What I was discouraging was the backlash debate of "NO PEOPLE SHOULDN'T!"

Nobody wants to have a book they love and that really spoke to them torn apart by people as "wrong", so I was discouraging picking apart people's answers and debating them as valid. It's a personal question with personal answers..

The bible is a perfectly fine answer. It has changed the lives of many people and IS thought provoking. Regardless of wether or not you believe in it or agree with it.

Books themselves aren't bad or good IMO it's all a personal experience of what we read into it.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:44 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
Did they make a little kids show about that? I seem to remember a little cartoon that I think was called the little prince.

May have just been a Canadian thing? Tell me I am not crazy!
You're not crazy! lol it was called "the adventures of the little prince" haha I remember! Wasn't as great as the book but I do remember enjoying it!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:52 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
I think you misunderstood my post. That's exactly what I was saying.

I didn't want the bible to be debated because I think people should feel free to say that they think everyone should read the bible. For whatever reason!

What I was discouraging was the backlash debate of "NO PEOPLE SHOULDN'T!"

Nobody wants to have a book they love and that really spoke to them torn apart by people as "wrong", so I was discouraging picking apart people's answers and debating them as valid. It's a personal question with personal answers..

The bible is a perfectly fine answer. It has changed the lives of many people and IS thought provoking. Regardless of wether or not you believe in it or agree with it.

Books themselves aren't bad or good IMO it's all a personal experience of what we read into it.

Doh... My bad. I understand. Although technically it is still expressing how they feel lol

I agree that books aren't good or bad. Like I said... My most beloved book is a children's story lol

G.K. Chesterton

Old 03-28-2013, 06:53 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
You're not crazy! lol it was called "the adventures of the little prince" haha I remember! Wasn't as great as the book but I do remember enjoying it!
LOL thank you. It was a memory from my youth which seems so long ago lol. I need to look it up on youtube

G.K. Chesterton

Old 03-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Top Dog

I love pretty much anything by Pat Conroy. He is a masterful story teller and I can read his books again and again. My favorites are The Lords of Discipline, Beach Music, and South of Broad.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Top Dog

I really like this thread and have been enjoying reading the response. I will have to look up some of these books for sure.

I don't know if anything I've read has been 'life changing', but I quite liked The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. It's a great story and well, dogs too.
Quote:
Born mute, speaking only in sign, Edgar Sawtelle leads an idyllic life with his parents on their farm in remote northern Wisconsin. For generations, the Sawtelles have raised and trained a fictional breed of dog whose remarkable gift for companionship is epitomized by Almondine, Edgar's lifelong friend and ally. Edgar seems poised to carry on his family's traditions, but when catastrophe strikes, he finds his once-peaceful home engulfed in turmoil.
Forced to flee into the vast wilderness lying beyond the Sawtelle farm, Edgar comes of age in the wild, fighting for his survival and that of the three yearling dogs who accompany him, until the day he is forced to choose between leaving forever or returning home to confront the mysteries he has left unsolved.
Filled with breathtaking scenes—the elemental north woods, the sweep of seasons, an iconic American barn, a fateful vision rendered in the falling rain—The Story of Edgar Sawtelle is a meditation on the limits of language and what lies beyond, a brilliantly inventive retelling of an ancient story, and an epic tale of devotion, betrayal, and courage in the American heartland.
Hmm. Into the Wild by Christopher McCandless/John Krakeur was very thought provoking and a good read. I liked the story a lot, but not so much what 'really happened' (he went into the wilderness with NO gear).
Quote:
In April 1992 a young man from a well-to-do family hitchhiked to Alaska and walked alone into the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley. His name was Christopher Johnson McCandless. He had given $25,000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the cash in his wallet, and invented a new life for himself. Four months later, his decomposed body was found by a moose hunter....
I guess I have a 'thing' for stories where people go into the wilderness on their own?

Old 03-28-2013, 07:30 PM
Obey the Toad.

But Twilight was life altering.....I died a little inside when I read it....

The Color Purple by Alice Walker tops my list...summary not mine...

"Celie has grown up in rural Georgia, navigating a childhood of ceaseless abuse. Not only is she poor and despised by the society around her, she’s badly treated by her family. As a teenager she begins writing letters directly to God in an attempt to transcend a life that often seems too much to bear. Her letters span twenty years and record a journey of self-discovery and empowerment through the guiding light of a few strong women and her own implacable will to find harmony with herself and her home."

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.