Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Taxiderpy

The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula Le Guin. Anybody that thinks they aren't racist especially should read it. She's a genius and will slap you upside the head so hard in the most subtle possible way.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:06 AM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
I'm just going to say that I don't count that as a book anyone needs to read.
Oh but I think it's a book that everyone should read. Only because, if some people actually read it (rather than having certain parts cherry-picked for them), they might start to ask questions.

Personally, I recommend The Skeptic's Annotated Bible to help that process along.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Irritate with Caution!!

The Stand by Stephen King

It's not a "gory" horror story, but rather a story basically about how we destroy ourselves and then good vs evil...

It kinda scares me because "The Plague" portion is something I can see happening to us someday...

I love all his books and am working on a collection of his first editions!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Got Floof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, but don't waste your time trying todread the whole thing. skimming it will give you the important part.
What, you didn't like the 350 page long speech that John Galt gave near the end? Lol.

I skipped that whole speech lol.

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13

Old 03-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Glutton for Crazy

1984 by George Orwell
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

And on... and on... I haven't read all of these but they're all on my must read list.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:37 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
Oh but I think it's a book that everyone should read. Only because, if some people actually read it (rather than having certain parts cherry-picked for them), they might start to ask questions.

Personally, I recommend The Skeptic's Annotated Bible to help that process along.
Not just questions, but historically it's been the major piece of literature in most European's lives for the past two thousand years. Agree with it or not, there is so much history that happened around it, and involving people heavily influenced by it (not just talking about the bad stuff, things like the guys who wrote the American constitution too), that it's difficult to grasp fully where they're coming from without having read it yourself.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
I'm just going to say that I don't count that as a book anyone needs to read.

As far as books everyone should read at least once goes, Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land" is definitely a must-read.
Stranger in a Strange Land is indeed a must-read. I'm not a fan of most of Heinlein's works, but that one changed me.

I have more I want to list... when I have time. :P

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 03-28-2013, 05:11 PM
Obey the Toad.

I think that exposing yourself to holy books if any kind is a good idea. It's not about what you do or do not believe, but looking at the world from a different perspective and learning about the faiths that influence millions.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:48 PM
Top Dog

Agreed...the Bible is DEFINITELY a thought-provoking and life-altering book, whether or not you've read it or believe in it, it still very much affects your day to day life. You might as well read and see how and (try to figure out) why.

And I don't want to sound like a jerk here...but did a John Green book REALLY change anyone's life? I've never read anything by him, so I don't know, but what I hear from people who have read his stuff, his books are terribly captivating and emotional, but nothing world-altering. So I'm curious, do you guys just really like his books and find them very touching, or did they actually alter the way you live your life or look at the world?!?

My list:

Fight Club - Chuck Palahnuik. Aside from the obvious - opening your eyes to consumerism and capitalism and a whole book about looking at our society in another light and so on...this was the first book I read where I could really relate to the characters (and trust me, that's NOT a good thing). I'm still trying to figure out why people glamorize Marla Singer so much. I've written I believe four college papers on different aspects of Fight Club.

On The Road - Jack Kerouac. It definitely glorifies a less-than-glorious lifestyle, but it really made me think about the way I live and youth, being tied down, taking huge risks, minimal living, and living in the moment.

Hardcore Zen - Brad Warner. I was already a Buddhist when I started this, but it just clarified some of the concepts I try to use in day to day life.

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver - if you eat food in America, read this. It's not like other "disturbing" portrayals of the food industry, but instead mostly discusses the perks and reality of clean eating, locavore, etc.

Mysterious Skin by Scott Heim - if any of you have seen Greg Araki's film version, you know this is an incredibly disturbing novel about children and sex abuse. It's not for the faint of heart, but it's also a very compelling story about the various ways people deal with trauma. As a teenager, I saw this book as the dichotomy between shutting down/isolating during depression and "living life to the fullest" in spite of it, even if that meant self-destruction and even if that "living" was really just a desperate attempt to cling on to some sensation while dealing with the numbness of depression and trauma.

I'm sure there are lots, lots, lots more. V For Vendetta (the graphic novel), Crime and Punishment, Candide, etc. Maybe I'll elaborate on a few more later.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Resident fainting goat

As all supreme ruler of this thread LOL can we please not turn this into a debate about the bible?
The answer is what YOU FEEL everyone should read. Everyone should feel free to say what they feel.

I personally am not a fan of the "good book" but hey, different books speak to different people.

..but if anyone says twilight for any other reason than "it taught me how to spot abusive relationships". you will be given a lecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy;22435

And I don't want to sound like a jerk here...but did a John Green book REALLY change anyone's life? I've never read anything by him, so I don't know, but what I hear from people who have read his stuff, his books are terribly captivating and emotional, but nothing world-altering. So I'm curious, do you guys just really like his books and find them very touching, or did they actually alter the way you live your life or look at the world?!?
The fault in our stars did change my life. Now, his books are sometimes written off as simple fluffy YA books (and there is nothing wrong seeing them that way..they are sweet and fun and honest and sometimes very funny. But I do think the books are deeper than that and can have an effect on the lives of those who read them) the fault in our stars did change the way I think of cancer, cancer survivors/patients, etc.. and life in general.
so I think that does count.

IMO I think different books speak to different people. So while some see certain books as fluff or nothing special, it might speak to others in a way that truly does affect their life. Beauty of literature!

Last edited by Fran101; 03-28-2013 at 06:43 PM.