Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-26-2013, 12:14 AM
Top Dog

Being at the vet releases Trent's inner weirdo/a**hole. He's not afraid, but I do think it stresses him out... he loves the vet, but the cats (crated and loose) and dogs (kenneled and loose behind the counter) may contribute to his terrible behavior. He will whine in the waiting room, and then greet the vet with a "OMG THANK GOD YOU ARE HERE. WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? IT WAS TORTURE WAITING" jumping/spazzing routine. We always end up cycling through a series of commands and cues before he'll act politely.

He stands still to get examined and sits on the scale just fine, and will let the vet and I do anything to him, but just goes crazy with the jumping. Aside from that, he's great. Tries to go for kisses, sniffs the vet for the treats he knows will come, and doesn't bat an eye when it comes to shots (braver than I am). But once it's time to go, he pulls through the waiting room and door like a bat out of hell. May be stress or overstimulation or a combination of a variety of things, but he likes to be at his absolute worst when we're there.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:34 AM
Active Pup

My dog love to see the vet..don't know the reason why. So I never faced such problem. Whenever I took my dog to the vet I usually offers him treats, maybe it is the reason for his positive attitude.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:51 AM
such sights to show you

My dogs are all d-bags at the vet, but she's a pushover so she deserves it.

Serious... Pip hates shiny floors and has Stranger Danger, but he doesn't go into defense mode. He more or less shuts down so he's easy for staff to deal with even though it's unpleasant for him.

Maisy, although she loves all people, has traditionally utterly panicked with any restraint. I have been working hard on this and at her recent visit we were able to draw blood drama-free to the delighted astonishment of the techs.

Squash is... Squash. Whether he's at home or in the car or at the park or at the vet... or on the moon, I suspect. As long as he has a minute to take new things in and have a Think, he's fine with whatever.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:20 AM
Top Dog

See if they can do the exam with you out of the room, or at least standing back, away from her against the wall if you're uncomfortable leaving her.

Milo has, somehow, NEVER tried to bite my vet. He's pretty calm if I'm not in the room. If I AM in the room, he will start to scream/fight for getting his nails done and sometimes blood drawn. I don't think he's as scared of the vet as he is worried about me being in the room.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Top Dog

One of the many reasons I like my vet so much, every visit we've had he smears chicken baby food on the table and lets Hudson lick it up as he gives the vaccines. I'm pretty sure Hudson has no idea what's going on. It prevents too much wiggly, happy puppy and he is pretty sure vets mean yummy treats.

Peco, on the other hand, did not enjoy going to the vet. He would refuse to get out of the car, pee on the floor and generally just act like you had beaten him. My mom works at the vet clinic and would occasionally bring him and just let him hang out. He would hide in the Doctor's bathroom and growl at them when they came in to use it....so....yeah

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 03-26-2013, 10:12 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
See if they can do the exam with you out of the room, or at least standing back, away from her against the wall if you're uncomfortable leaving her.
It's hard for me to do the exam with me out of the room. But other stuff, blood draws, nail trims, etc... it doesn't matter if I'm there, not there, whatever. She doesn't try to bite anyone or anything, she just goes into full flailing escape mode. I've been working SO hard on it lately and she's is leaps and bounds better, I think in the future it will become a non-issue.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Top Dog

I am terrified that the next vet visit will bring back all of Tucker's human reactivity issues outside of the house plus make him loose trust in me. The only reason he doesn't react to people outside of the house now is because he knows they never try to touch him. I'm also afraid I'll end up crying when I see him so terrified.

Tucker hasn't been to the vet since he was neutered at 7 months old and he was human reactive beforehand so I couldn't see how it affected him, other than being told he wasn't nice.

Do most vets let you come hang out in the lobby with your dog just to get them used to the place? I think that would probably take the stress down a bit, being comfortable in the environment.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 03-26-2013, 01:10 PM
Top Dog

Elsie hates strangers, and isn't the best at the vet. She's fine when I'm there, although she makes extreme do-not-want face, but I was told it took six people to get her x-rays when she had a partial blockage. She wasn't trying to bite, she was just flailing.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Mountain Dawg

Lugia lives in a house full of vet students, so she's very used to being handled a lot. She used to really dig going to the vet (I'd feed her cat treats, the ONLY time she gets them, in the waiting room, exam room, while getting poked, so she'd always be happy to see the staff at the clinic), however a few months ago I took her to get a rabies FAVN and the tech had to stick her jugular FOUR times before pulling any blood... pup was not too happy about that. Since then, for every subsequent visit she'd still be very well behaved and compliant; however her normally *very* expressive ears are now plastered against her head from the moment we step inside till we get outside.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Little dog, big voice

Cali doesn't mind going to the vet, but her favourite part of going is all the people who flaunt over her. I can remember back when she went for her spay, one of the assistants said that she spent all of her break cuddling her because she looked so lonely. Ever since that, Cali has realized it's not too bad and uses vaccines to get extra cuddles/kisses from the vet.

Moses is just good about things in general, although he does get uncomfortable when there's too many unknown dogs or people.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.