Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Default Researching Vitamins/ Metabolism and healthy Eating and getting CONFUSED

Anyone knowledgeable on this subject?

Trying to help keep myself healthy during this challenge

I'm 39, weigh 211 (Down 35)
I have given up Colas, drink water and a few cups of coffee with heavy cream, no sugar throughout the day

I have a quit smoking plan in place for April, currently smoke about 3/4 pack a day

I'm not active as such, working my way up to a 5k walk daily...

I do have a sit down job unfortunately

Typical daily diet:

Breakfast:
Rolled oats with whey protein and flaxseed
1 poached egg

Lunch:
Chicken Caesar Salad homemade
W/ Renee's low fat dressing

Supper:
Chicken/ Fish or lean Red meat
W/ cauliflower, baby carrots

Snacks (throughout day)

Fresh celery, broccoli or cauliflower
1/4 cup almonds
Strawberry smoothie (1 cup frozen berries blended with 1 cup organic soy milk)

Current exercise:

Siren and I do 3k at least 5 days of 7

Any advice?
Old 03-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Resident fainting goat

I don't have a specific "plan" or name for my method but it's pretty simple I think

- Cut at as many processed foods as you can (anything with an ingredients label)
- Shop local and organic when you can
- Drink plenty of water. More than you think your body can hold lol your pee should be clear
- Lean healthy proteins (I cut out red meat personally and stick with chicken/turkey)
- Especially if you aren't a big vegetable fan, get a JUICER i love mine. A green juice per day (celery, kale, cucumber, carrot, parsley etc..) gives you most of your servings of veggies and helps keep me full and focused
- Healthy dairy: Almond milk, Plain yogurt
- workout when you can, make it a part of your daily routine. I "earn" TV time by giving an hour to working out after doing homework.

- What works best for me is..
~ breakfast juice (green juice)
~ breakfast meal (whole wheat bread, almond butter, plus a hardy fruit like apple)
~ heavier lunch meal: lean protein (usually chicken breast), whole wheat grain (pasta, rice), spinach
~ lunch snack (apple w/peanut butter)
~ dinner juice (green with heavy leafy greens and carrot)
~ dinner (some lean protein like chicken, whole grain)
~ bedtime snack: usually something sweet..I really like honey and frozen grapes!

Not really sure about the "ideal" number of meals or anything, this is just what works for me. Like you, I spent A LOT of time researching and came up with A LOT of confusing stuff. I ended up with this because it keeps me full and it works for me.

I found this extremely useful

Your diet sounds perfectly reasonable to me go with your gut honestly, way too many fads to keep up with.
I say keep it up, the c25k workout works for a lot of people and you are certainly on the right track.

As for vitamins, I take a multi and a cod liver oil everyday just because. Not sure if it's needed really but I'd like to think just in case my body is getting what it needs
Old 03-24-2013, 07:10 AM
Kung Pow Fish

ditch the low fat and nonfat anything. eat "real" foods (if you cant pronounce/dont know any of the ingredients, dont eat it!) and dont be afraid of fats and proteins! for that matter, dont be afraid of food!

canola oil is garbage. dont be afraid of butter. eat lots of meats fruits veggies nuts whole grains, etc.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:09 AM
treehugging clicker freak

I agree with the others, I don't have much to add, I'm trying to get the rest of my weight of too

the school coach suggested a carry a soup can in each hands when I walk. I tried it once and OMG so I went out to Walmart and bought little weights specifically for it and WOW... Would be worth a try

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 03-24-2013, 09:42 AM
Irritate with Caution!!

Fran, thanks.... It's a work in progress and you can research yourself to death lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
ditch the low fat and nonfat anything. eat "real" foods (if you cant pronounce/dont know any of the ingredients, dont eat it!) and dont be afraid of fats and proteins! for that matter, dont be afraid of food!

canola oil is garbage. dont be afraid of butter. eat lots of meats fruits veggies nuts whole grains, etc.
I do use the reduced fat Renee's but that's it, I use extra virgin olive oil and real butter (margarine kinda freaks me out)

Though I have to admit, I'm going back to the oatmeal packages, they are not as good but I cannot get the from scratch oatmeal to taste good..
Old 03-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Top Dog

Are you losing weight? You said you're down 35 lbs...how long have you been at your current weight, eating this type of diet, etc?

Because it sounds like you're eating a pretty ok, healthy diet for someone your age/activity level. If you're still losing, and it's just slowing down, that's normal. If you're "stuck" instead of changing your diet, I would just increase your exercise. If possible, add some light cardio and strength training to your walking.

Do you drink teas? Lots of teas, especially green teas, are supposed to be great for metabolism.

ETA: Also...is that what you eat EVERY day? Or almost every day? It's definitely not a bad diet, but I would try to switch it up to a little more variety.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Irritate with Caution!!

I do switch it up, but it's a close daily, sometimes a bit different and I was down 50 pounds but fell off the wagon, climbed back on a couple weeks back, down 6 since then...

I am trying to be realistic as well, to restrictive never sticks, for instance today I am eating supper at a friends and will be having homemade taco's not something Id normally eat
Old 03-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Top Dog

Only thing I could recommend would be to add some lifting or strength training. Your food looks pretty good. Building muscle will improve your health and strength and it will help you lose fat because having more muscle will increase your total daily energy expenditure. It's never too early to add strength training to your workout routine.

Keep it up I'm down 23 lbs and counting since the first! It's so exciting.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

I really want to add in some strength training, but I've been told I should get a bit closer to goal for that and concentrate on Cardio for now? I've also no clue where to start with that type of training and the Cardio is easy in the sense it's simple.... Walk/ Jog/ Bike etc
Old 03-24-2013, 12:24 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Oh, and here's what I've decided vitamin wise:

Women's One(1) A Day ( Had good reviews everywhere I read for being what it says it is and safe)

B100 complex (freakin HORSE pill!)
Magnesium
Calcium