Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-25-2013, 10:51 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Default Finding a Vet & Limited Vaccines

So... I'm attempting to find a local vet who is open minded to limited vaccines as well as postponed neuters. Not necessarily holistic, but not in your face, being a butt about not doing everything they say (like the vet I had when Harlow was a puppy). I'm starting to plan for FutureACD puppy, plus heartworm tests are coming up and I need to get Rider tested for some thyroid stuff.

Do I pretty much just need to take a day and stop everywhere and see what their practices are? I feel like there is a much better approach.

Also, I've done some research on limited vaccines... but those of you who practice that, any helpful hints for a beginner? Haha. Harlow is on the right track, with a 3 year DHPP and Rabies. Rider will be getting his 3 year Rabies in just a few months, and next January will be getting a 3 year DHPP.

I've thought about titers, but I feel like in my area, it is definitely a need to just vaccinate for rabies and distemper.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 03-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

You could start by reading reviews on places like Yelp and at least seeing if the practices listed on there have good customer service/bedside manner etc.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Top Dog

When I move I plan to send an email to a ton of clinics asking a bunch of questions. They might find it annoying, but if they can't be arsed to answer them, they obviously don't want my business. Out of the ones that do answer, hopefully at least a couple will have the answers I want, and then those would be the ones I go physically see.

As far as limited vaccines, I just...do limited vaccines. I stopped doing kennel cough, I do rabies every 3 years by law (there is an approved 5 year rabies vaccine, but my area doesn't accept it), and I do distemper/parvo every 5+ years (I'm on year 3 now, so in 2 years I may revise it to 7+, depending on research). I don't do titres right now as I'm confident that the vaccine lasts at least 5 years, but I may consider doing titres before re-vaccinating in the future.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Kung Pow Fish

most counties will take titers in place of vaccinations, and to be honest i would not give ANY vaccine that wasnt needed. if the titer shows theyre GTG, then theyre GTG

I second the lady with the smooth collie (forgot your name and the preview window isnt showing, sorry). just start emailing and calling around
Old 03-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
most counties will take titers in place of vaccinations
My city refuses to accept rabies titres. It was a long, hard fight to get them to even take 3 year rabies vaccines. It's annoying, especially since I'd get discounted rabies titres when I join IAADP with Logan.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Top Dog

Talk to dog people with similar ideas and see where they bring their pets. Not just people that have pets, but sport people, breed ring people, the people that are active in dogs.

I work at a clinic that has a set vaccination protocol for the most part, if someone calls and asks questions, I have to tell them our protocol. However, if they come in for an appt and discuss it with a vet, we are pretty lenient in following whatever they want to do (outside of rabies, because it's required by law).

So my advice is to ask around to people who have experienced the clinics first hand and go from there.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Behavior Nerd

I'm like Sael, I just do a limited protocol. My current vet does 3y rabies and 1y DHLPP generally, but I do 3y rabies and 3y DHPP/DA2PP and we haven't had an issue yet!

Old 03-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Awesome, thanks guys! I think I'm going to ask our Nosework instructor what vet they use and kind of go from there.

For Kennel Cough... I've been told conflicting things about how long it is effective. I've heard 6 months, and a year. I bought my "vaccine", which was really a spray for the nose, at TSC and just gave it myself. When should I give it again? Rider is the only one who gets it, as it is required for both training classes as well as daycare.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 03-25-2013, 04:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
Awesome, thanks guys! I think I'm going to ask our Nosework instructor what vet they use and kind of go from there.

For Kennel Cough... I've been told conflicting things about how long it is effective. I've heard 6 months, and a year. I bought my "vaccine", which was really a spray for the nose, at TSC and just gave it myself. When should I give it again? Rider is the only one who gets it, as it is required for both training classes as well as daycare.
Each manufacturer guarantees their vaccines for an amount of time, so contact that company and see how long it's good for.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Top Dog

When I switched vets (left one entirely because of costs, they were wonderful to me; left the second one after the way they mis-handled Gusto's poisoning), I sent emails both times. Just a "Hi, this is me, this is what I have for dogs, this is the protocol I follow with them, is it something your clinic is comfortable with?"

Both clinics have responded positively, and have it noted in my dogs' charts that I titer instead of doing distemper/parvo vaccines. They still mention it ("It looks like Meg is due for her Distemper/Parvo. Do you want to do it, or are you planning to titer?"), but they are really polite and don't push or anything.