Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Behavior Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
This looks really cool, because the crates are all adjustable...

http://www.mightymitedoggear.com/MIM...Car_Crate.html

Would allow me some flexibility...and the angled fronts open up a lot more options.
If you buy a Variocage, I have a discount code that will get you 10% off....

Also, I just bought one myself and love it. There are pics and commentary up on the Four Paw Drive fb page, though I'll be doing a formal review soon on the blog.

Are you set on new? 20 grand won't get you much new, but used it can get you a LOT.

30" crates generally run either 21 or 19" wide, so anything that will hold two SUV style crates doubled up should work for you. I have a RAV I love, though I also considered a Kia Sorento.

The CRV, Subaru Outback, and Forrester were too narrow and short for what I needed, but might fit you.

The Prius X might also be an option with the 30" crates.

4Runner was originally top on my list, but the mpgs of the RAV and the relatively small increase in cargo space ended up pushing the RAV higher.

I wasn't a huge fan of the 2006 Escape; not sure if the 2013 has wheel wells that were further apart as they were pretty narrow on the 2006.

Similarly, the Liberty might be an option, but I honestly hated how a rental I had a few years back drove.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raegan View Post
I am madly in love with my 2007(?) Toyota Matrix. Keechak and I fit three dogs and two sets of camping gear and could still see out the back. I've also slept in it comfortably and I am not a small person. I crate Marsh in it all the time, great airflow and the hatch window opens. Its a great car, very comfortable to drive. I've put almost 10k miles on mine in a little under a year.

Its practically identical to the Pontiac Vibe which is slightly cheaper.

The only downside is it takes forever to defrost. Its not a great cold weather car.

ETA: if I were looking today, I'd look at the Dodge Caliber. Still kind of boxy but I think its a really attractive car.
That is what my agility buddy has! She has a crate shelf built into the back permanently for her two guys' travel crates, so Lucy's crate goes on the backseat. I had not thought about what it would be like if we just folded the backseat down instead. Hrmm....
Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Top Dog

I really love that car so much. Turn a crate upside down and you can get dogs out of both sides of the car. With the back seats up you can still fit a crate in the back.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
If you buy a Variocage, I have a discount code that will get you 10% off....

Also, I just bought one myself and love it. There are pics and commentary up on the Four Paw Drive fb page, though I'll be doing a formal review soon on the blog.

Are you set on new? 20 grand won't get you much new, but used it can get you a LOT.

30" crates generally run either 21 or 19" wide, so anything that will hold two SUV style crates doubled up should work for you. I have a RAV I love, though I also considered a Kia Sorento.

The CRV, Subaru Outback, and Forrester were too narrow and short for what I needed, but might fit you.

The Prius X might also be an option with the 30" crates.

4Runner was originally top on my list, but the mpgs of the RAV and the relatively small increase in cargo space ended up pushing the RAV higher.

I wasn't a huge fan of the 2006 Escape; not sure if the 2013 has wheel wells that were further apart as they were pretty narrow on the 2006.

Similarly, the Liberty might be an option, but I honestly hated how a rental I had a few years back drove.
I have spent quite a bit of time browsing the fourpaws website--lots of good info. Used is fine (just hoping for around 40-50k miles--more than that makes me nervous).

I will hit you up if I go with the variocage. Depending on the car we get, that might solve a lot of problems.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Top Dog

I fit 4 crates in my Ford Explorer. 2 36", a 40" and a 32". Tight but doable and still have room. That is a 40" and a 36" with a 40" wire crate on top. Then in front of those is another 36" horizontally placed and a 32" vertically placed.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
Volskwagen Passat Wagen, everyone needs one.
My boyfriend drives one and I am entirely jealous of it. Although I do like my Tucson quite a bit. I can fit two relatively large crates in with only putting one of the back seats down. And it'sd decent on gas too.

Car setup by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

Car setup by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

You can see the vari kennel behind the metal crate there.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
Volskwagen Passat Wagen, everyone needs one.
True that. Ryan tried to tell me that he traded his in the other day, I told him if he ever does I'm leaving him for someone who has one.

If my car ever bites the dust (it better not!) I want to get another one, because there's no such thing as too many Passat Wagons!! In the mocha color. Or a Ford Flex, I want one of those too.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Behavior Nerd

Two of my friends in our IPO club have Passat wagons with variocages for their GSDs - super nice setups!

Old 03-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Top Dog

Jason has had an Element (amazing space!) and now has a minivan, those have been our two best haulers for multiple dogs.

I've had a Honda Pilot, a Subaru Outback, and now have a Toyota Highlander.

Pictures (I have them of the Element if you want as well, we were taking 6 dogs in it at one time but only if you're interested).

Pilot - these were easy to take in and out.
These are 2 36" SUV crates

Subaru - HUGE pain in the butt to take these crates in and out.
I could fit a 30", 36" SUV, 24" wire crates OR plastic crates although the configuration had to be different and I could not see out my back window.
(holy crap, how cute is Limit here?!)

Highlander - these are SUPER easy to remove and put back. I have to haul work dogs now so plastic only and they are 36" and 32" although I know two 36" SUV wire crates would fit. I can also fold down the second row seats and fit another 36" or a 40" even on there and then strap them to the others. I just keep these two in for work though (and Limit and Kastle fit easily). So in this pic, the 2nd row seats are upright so I can haul passengers or other gear etc

Old 03-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Top Dog

I haven't much of any idea on what to tell you. I'm looking for something extremely similar, but it needs to be able to fit a Giant (40'') crate and maybe a 30''? And somewhat stylish, with fun gadgets and such. Because I'm a bit of a sucker for gimmicks.

I don't look at Ford, Toyota, Chevrolet or Chrysler much, honestly. Just never thought they were made well, everyone always seemed to have tons of issues with them. Other brands/companies usually mean higher price tags, though. Sad face. I love Volkswagen.

Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. Possibly not as big as I need, though.

This is my Mom's car. TON of space, serious trooper, goes, goes, goes. Extremely dog friendly. We could fit our oldest four (English Mastiff, Zander, Bullmastiff, GSD mix) all in, no issues. Easy to clean. Awesome for hauling...everything.
Hyundai Santa Fe