Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Top Dog

Everyone I know with dogs and toyota 4-runner ADORES it. And if Grammy was still around, she'd be posting about her 4 runner in this thread.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I can fit two medium(smaller) crates in my Prius. We're buying another truck as a dog and camping vehicle though. We considered a van but we want off roading ability. Really, the best choice we found was a van but I feel your pain. lol

As it is my Prius really is a trooper and if I did custom crates or had smaller dogs it would be plenty. I traded in my previous truck for this due to mpg an it's saved me a ton in cash. It's time to go back for the longer events, potential of a third sporting dog, and camping but for just one or even two smaller dogs I would stick with the Prius long term, it's deceptively convenient.
Awesome!! I was hoping that there would be a regular car with magical internal space! I will have to take crates to see how they squish in that car as well.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Top Dog

My hatchback Pontiac G3 has enough room for two small/medium crates (with the back seats folded down only), but I really don't like the handling or power in the car at all. They also stopped making pontiacs, so unless you found one used, you're out of luck.

My best friend has the VW Rabbit, which is the exact same shape/body/size of the car, with much better handling and power, but I think was probably a lot more expensive. Both cars are fantastic on gas, which is nice.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-25-2013, 12:05 PM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Awesome!! I was hoping that there would be a regular car with magical internal space! I will have to take crates to see how they squish in that car as well.
Could always get custom crates made to fit the vehicle you decide on.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
Could always get custom crates made to fit the vehicle you decide on.
Oooh--any idea a ballpark cost on that? Or links to places that do it?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Everyone I know with dogs and toyota 4-runner ADORES it. And if Grammy was still around, she'd be posting about her 4 runner in this thread.
I test drove the rav-4 and it felt super cheap and yucky. The 4runner is much nicer, but waaaaaay more expensive. 2008 models with 70,000 miles are selling for $23k around here. Friends have the 4-runner though, and it is really nice, you're right. Just can't justify the premium.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:18 PM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Oooh--any idea a ballpark cost on that? Or links to places that do it?
They can run a few thousand dollars. But the plus side is you can have your cake and eat it too. KustomKrates does them. And there was another company I really liked but I had it saved on my old computer, can't remember the name at the moment.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
They can run a few thousand dollars. But the plus side is you can have your cake and eat it too. KustomKrates does them. And there was another company I really liked but I had it saved on my old computer, can't remember the name at the moment.
This looks really cool, because the crates are all adjustable...

http://www.mightymitedoggear.com/MIM...Car_Crate.html

Would allow me some flexibility...and the angled fronts open up a lot more options.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Top Dog

I am madly in love with my 2007(?) Toyota Matrix. Keechak and I fit three dogs and two sets of camping gear and could still see out the back. I've also slept in it comfortably and I am not a small person. I crate Marsh in it all the time, great airflow and the hatch window opens. Its a great car, very comfortable to drive. I've put almost 10k miles on mine in a little under a year.

Its practically identical to the Pontiac Vibe which is slightly cheaper.

The only downside is it takes forever to defrost. Its not a great cold weather car.

ETA: if I were looking today, I'd look at the Dodge Caliber. Still kind of boxy but I think its a really attractive car.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Top Dog

Volskwagen Passat Wagen, everyone needs one.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RL1 RLV 9 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years