Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Kung Pow Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
His jumping style is rather bizarre. Effective, but bizarre.
What does he do? lol
Old 03-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Frenchies are one of the few small breeds I actually seriously want one day. I use to not care for them so much until I started working with dogs and have had the chance to get to know quite a few of them.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:27 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
What does he do? lol
It's hard to describe but whenever he tries to turn over the bar his rear end sort of flies out due to centrifugal force. It's like if you have a ball on a string and spin around...your body is the anchor and the ball and string fly out straight as you spin. The heavy front of the dog acts as the anchor and the rear just kind of flies in the wind until he hits the ground and all four paws scramble for speed again. Very different from the curving arc of more balanced dogs.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13
Old 03-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

My coworker shows and breeds Frenchies. I know her dogs pretty well.

I wouldn't get a Frenchie if I wanted a dog to get along with all dogs, I'll certainly say that much. They are bulldogs at heart and IME DA and DR are not unheard of or even uncommon - and this is not just my friend's lines but rather my experience in the breed as a whole. That said, we do have some social butterflies that come to daycare and they certainly do exist - and they're hilarious.

The Frenchies I know have temperaments that are very suitable to performance - most will hang from a tug like a little alligator and are pretty motivated, but their bodies just aren't suited to it, really. Not that people can't be successful with them but they're not designed for it, being enormously top heavy and lacking any snout. Still, I enjoy the thought of doing some kind of sport with a little meathead Frenchie, lol.

They also have A LOT of health problems. My friend is totally honest about the state of the breed and it is...not good. Beyond their build, they have spinal issues, eye issues, and tend to be short-lived. Her male is acting senile and losing some coordination at only 9 years old. She belongs to a breed club that emphasizes health (and transparency regarding health) and does as much health testing as possible, but...not all issues are easily tested for, and there in lies the problem.

All that said... I find them charming and were I open to a brachy breed and had lots of money for possible vet bills I might consider one. They are really very clownish and funny, and the noises they make are like no other. I find them relatively physically appealing as well, as far as that kind of a dog goes.

Another consideration is the price of a well-bred Frenchie, which seems to be around $2,500 - $3,500. Ouch. There are lots in rescue (and lots of good breed specific rescues) however. Of course health in those dogs is huge crapshoot and IME (my coworker fosters for a rescue so I meet them all the time) they are not necessarily less exaggerated than the show bred Frenchies, and are worse in certain ways.

I really, really like the little guys but I'd say it's definitely a breed that takes a lot of consideration and lifestyle modification.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:42 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I found a breeder in Sweden probably 5 years ago or so that had natural whelping Frenchies. The pups were 4,500 base price. I was horrified.

Also I have seen a few nasty dog aggressive ones. Just as a fair heads up. I think they're cute and it's fun to think about being the "prove you can do it with ____" person but naw, the only way I would own one is to rescue one as have it as a pet.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I found a breeder in Sweden probably 5 years ago or so that had natural whelping Frenchies. The pups were 4,500 base price. I was horrified.

Also I have seen a few nasty dog aggressive ones.
I'm told it's actually not uncommon in Europe for Frenchies to free whelp, but it's not necessarily because they're more moderate. I guess they just have better reproductive health in those lines. Or Americans are just more paranoid about it. Most America breeders don't even try to let the bitch free whelp, they just go straight for a C-section.

And yep, I know several DA Frenchies. It's definitely a reality in the breed, IME.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Top Dog

Frenchies are the one thing that Gage hates. There was one at the dog park that repeatedly attacked him, it would wait for him to enter and just attack his face and try to hang on to his lips. His owner would try and redirect him but he just didn't like Gage for some reason. It ruined Gage because he will not tolerate them near him at all now. So ya DA is defiantly there, other then that the ones I have me have all keen like already described, fun loving happy little dogs, and who doesn't love the Frenchie ears! If I were ever to consider another shedding dog, not freaking likely lol, it would be high on my list I just think they are great little dogs that would suit my family.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:31 AM
woof!

The only frenchies I have met are the ones at shows, and they don't do too mush besides just standing there, walking in slow motion and breathing like a steam train and this is caused from the hot tropical climate were I live that can go up 35c to 45c and don't forget the harsh sunlight, all this is torture for the poor frenchies, english bulldogs are the same.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Big Dog

I had wanted a Frenchie for a few years, but there is no way I was paying thousands of dollars for one.

I finally found one at my local shelter. Several were turned in when they could no longer breed them due to health issues. Females went to rescue and I adopted Rocky the male.

He was 6 yrs old and I've had him 3 yrs so he is 9 yrs old now. He is my only Frenchie experience, but this is what I've learned from Rocky!

Rocky was extremely dog aggressive when I got him. He tried to kill Jack my Boston on several occasions and got into some pretty bad fights with my Dogo Argentino. I ended up giving him to my Mother who kept him for 6 months and then had to move so she gave him back. He had calmed down some and after some work I was able to get him to live in the pack with the other dogs.

He is pretty social now especially considering his beginning. He can go in public and is pretty mellow around other dogs there.

He loves all people, to the point he got himself dog napped! Thankfully he was microchipped and I got him back.

He is silly and goofy at times.

But is main thing is FOOD. This dog would walk thru a ring of fire for food and I mean anything remotely edible. He will eat lettuce, tomatoes, apples, carrots, broccoli, bananas, grapefruit, orangs, lemons, etc. He loves foods.

I had him at the beach one day and he was having a blast running and chasing the white caps which he thought was food and about 100 ft away a little girl pulled the plastic top off a lunchable. His hearing sucks until it comes to food. He took off at fast as his little stubby legs could carry him and jumped into her lap and gave her what I call the Food Face! She screamed at first and then burst out laughing as his goofy bugged eyes stare. He didn't touch her food, but was begging for all he was worth.

Another time we were at a big rescue event and a lady gave him a cookie and sat the bowl back on the table. Casper was chillin in the kiddie pool they had out and I was talking to someone. Rocky grabbed the table cloth and pulled the entire bowl of cookies down so he could eat them.

At Petco he will park himself infront of the cookie counter and not budge!

He doesn't play with any toys, but will chew bones and can be very aggressive over them. He had some large cow leg bones, bigger than he is and he would sit on them and chew at the same time!

Rocky goes hiking and if fairly active. He can go 5-6 miles easily. He also can swim in calm waters. Atlantic Ocean current was too strong for him though.

He is fine with cats, fairly low prey drive, but has gone after a wild hog.

When he gets a hold of something though, you need a break stick to get off cause he ain't letting go. While I wouldn't call him dog aggressive anymore, I would say he is very combative. If given the choice to fight or flee, he is going to fight. Also if a fight breaks out, you can bet you ass he is going to get in on it.

Rocky is very good with children. Very tolerant and gentle with them.

Overall, he is a pretty awesome little guy!

Running on the beach video