Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Top Dog

To be perfectly honest, I actually prefer the look of BYB-type dogs in a lot of breeds.

Chihuahua's, I've always preferred the look of a less-apple-like head, and a bit larger.... Yorkies, same deal. I prefer the more terrier-looking ones (not the 'teacup' and 'teddy bear' faces) and a bit larger. Same with Papillons. And Goldens. And basically a lot of breeds, I tend to like BYB-style... lol. Whoops.

Brit & Jackson

Old 03-24-2013, 10:07 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
To be perfectly honest, I actually prefer the look of BYB-type dogs in a lot of breeds.

Chihuahua's, I've always preferred the look of a less-apple-like head, and a bit larger.... Yorkies, same deal. I prefer the more terrier-looking ones (not the 'teacup' and 'teddy bear' faces) and a bit larger. Same with Papillons. And Goldens. And basically a lot of breeds, I tend to like BYB-style... lol. Whoops.
For shame!

I agree with you though, especially on the chi's....

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:10 PM
Top Dog

I do prefer the look of BYB boxers, chihuahas, and a couple other breeds.

Collies, though, I don't care for the BYB look at all. Their ears are never right (usually either drop or prick, though I actually like the look of prick ears on collies, shhhhhhhhhhh ), and their faces are really extreme, and the teeth are usually pretty bad because of it. A lot of them look like overgrown shelties instead of collies. And their hair is all wrong a lot of times.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:12 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post

How many byb papillons do you know? I've known...a lot. There really isn't a byb 'style' papillon. Some I've met I thought were Sheltie mixes. This is coming from someone that has had both. Super long snout, very fluffy and lots of color. Another was 3 lbs on a fat day. Also fluffy and super short in the leg. One was super slick coated. Many I know have bad underbites. Probably about half do. I like the larger size on some but that's not the only thing to take into consideration.

That's kinda the problem... You have no idea what you're going to get.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I love a well bred chihuahua. Frankly I can't think of a well bred dog I don't prefer over a badly bred one. That said I can think of several that I prefer non-show-focused bred dogs.

I think the issue with BYB being a goal is BYB is such a vast and vague label.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 PM
I'm All Ears

Here's a visual of what I mean:

Probably around 15 lbs, bad underbite. Sweet dog with loads of energy. Would put any JRT I know to shame. I really like this guy. Friend bought him after loving Beau so much.

Vet's papillon. 3 lbs or so. short legs, double coat. Sweet dog but low low low energy.

So... that's what I mean when people start saying 'I like the BYB version'- which one?

ETA: I mean this on any breed. Just using mine since I'm more familiar with it.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Top Dog

This is the sort of BYB chihuahua and BYB boxer I like

Old 03-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Here's a visual of what I mean:

Probably around 15 lbs, bad underbite. Sweet dog with loads of energy. Would put any JRT I know to shame. I really like this guy. Friend bought him after loving Beau so much.

Vet's papillon. 3 lbs or so. short legs, double coat. Sweet dog but low low low energy.

So... that's what I mean when people start saying 'I like the BYB version'- which one?

ETA: I mean this on any breed. Just using mine since I'm more familiar with it.
Yeah BYB is too vague of a term, I guess, lol. But I basically just mean out of standard, I guess? I don't know. I just tend to like the looks of rescue dogs or BYB dogs in general better than 'show' dogs. I haven't met many Paps in real life personally. But of those pics, I prefer the first dog by far.

Example, I much prefer all the typical pet-type yorkies (which I see a heck of a lot more of) than the show dog yorkies.

I'd pick this:

over this:

And I like these Chihuahua's:

over this:

And I prefer 'puggles' over pugs, and cockapoos over cocker spaniels or poodles (speaking looks-only) lol. It's just my personal preference. Not saying it's right or anything, just what I prefer.

Brit & Jackson

Old 03-24-2013, 11:22 PM
Top Dog

Of the breeds I am interested in owning there isn't a huge line between looks for well and BYB, probably because they are both covered in hair, the difference between well and BYB is health.

But for other breeds I prefer the show lines generally, biggest exception being German Shepherds. I love show Chihuahuas, I love the little round heads, lol. But if everyone liked the same thing we wouldn't have the number of breeds we do today.

I personally prefer breeders who breed to the standard set by breed clubs, but there are some breeds that I don't agree with what they have become. Bulldogs, pugs, pekes and frenchies rank high on that list, the issues that are purposely being bred into them are deplorable, IMO. Which is why I, personally, prefer breeders who breed a dog that can compete in the show ring, then turn around and do some sort of trials, weather it's obedience, field or what have you.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:40 AM
Kung Pow Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
Whoops, sorry. You only planned on it, until they kept getting "stolen." My bad. Now you just breed tricolored American Bullies out of a bitch you told me you were scared of because of her temperament issues that come down from her sire. Thanks for the correction.
Are you always deliberately as nasty and hateful as possible? Only one dog was ever stolen from me, Iv never owned a wolf hybrid or wanted one, Iv always thought they are a terrible idea as pets, I breed American Bullies because its a breed I am in love with, I have never bred any other breed, and will never leave this breed, and I've never been scared of Kitty, I trusted people who werent trustworthy, and got some very very bad advice about behavior issues from people who know nothing, and nearly destroyed a beautiful dog with my idiocy, which I have since learned better on. Shes not, and has never been, H/A

Any more blatant ****ing ignorance I can dispel for you, viper?