Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Top Dog

Well seeing as how everyone else has the noise bit covered, all I can add right now is...Invest in the best set of grooming tools you can! No, I don't mean a Furminator (actually, DON'T, they wreck Corgi coat like nothing else), but a good set of nice med-fine toothed combs and an under coat rake are a must have. A visual...

And I had brushed about that same amount out of him a couple days later too. It's a weekly job, or else you're looking at a couple hours work later.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Top Dog

Are they generally good with children?

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 03-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I've known several who're timid around kids and several who are pushy, disrespectful, and nippers. A lot of that is exposure and training but some of that is just fighting born in issues. I'd just be very careful when picking a breeder and laying foundations.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Owned by Belgians

My favorite trainer has 6 Corgis, both breeds, show dogs and rescues. This is her quote.

"Give me a Pem any day of the week but a Cardigan once a lifetime."

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/803391

(She also has Schipperkes.)
Old 03-28-2013, 04:15 PM
Top Dog

Sorry to hijack this thread, but as someone who is very interested in Schipperkes... How does your trainer friend find her Schipps compared to her Corgis?
Old 03-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

They are absolutely not a breed that I would say is inherently good with children. They are assholes, or at least most of them are. I wouldn't expect one not to snap if a toddler fell on them.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:29 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I absolutely wouldn't call Muffin an asshole, he is actually an incredibly sweet dog.

However, I still would have to say that corgis are NOT kid friendly... at all. They have very distinct lines and there are no exceptions on who crosses them. Most breeds realize there is a difference between child and adult and let the child do whatever to them, corgis make no such distinction. Ignore their warning and you will get any varying degree of nipped or bitten depending on how bad the offense.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Top Dog

Both of our girls are excellent with children from toddlers to around 8 years (the only ages they've been around). Extensive time spent with kids with not one growl, nip, weird behavior, nothing. HOWEVER, we got them both at 13 months old and the breeder obviously did a fantastic job socializing them so I have no idea what they were like when they were younger.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:49 PM
<----Thanks Allie

You have 2 exceptional corgis then, any that I have met or known of(no matter how well or badly bred), have been no nonsense dogs.

And obviously there are exceptions to every rule, but I wouldn't get a corgi and expect it to be a great kid dog. I'd expect the opposite.

That being said, I love these little guys like no other and always plan to at least have 1.... Even when(ok IF is more likely) I have children. But unless I have a miracle dog, I'm planning to crate and rotate with dog and kids. :-P
Old 03-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Top Dog

I knew one corgi mix (or maybe he was a long-haired corgi) rescue who was great with kids...he didn't have the typically corgi temperament, at all.

I'm going to say, generally, if you're seeking a kid-friendly, kids-can-love-on-the-dog-and-play-with-it breed, a corgi is not the right choice. However, I also think that if the kids are well behaved and always well supervised around the dog, and you're aware of subtle signs of discomfort on the dog's part, there's no reason a stable and well-socialized corgi couldn't live happily with kids.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com