Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-22-2013, 08:23 AM
Top Dog

Where I live, it would be nearly impossible to get a job outside of retail without a post secondary diploma/degree/masters, but it can happen. My BF did not complete any post secondary and he's a "software architect" at a very succcessful web and mobile development company.

If you have really great skills (like programming for example) that are not necessarily "improved" by post secondary education, explore those options. Try to find a company that is just starting up, and get in at ground level. They can teach you everything you need to know.

All government jobs where I live require at least a BA, but even then, they typically only hire people with Masters or PhDs (at least in my Dad and sister's divisions).
Old 03-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Have you tried a dog facility with sports focus? Both that I've worked at have been open to the desire to have weekends off.
I'm working/apprenticing? my way to being a facility manager at an agility focused training center. I work weekends, not just 8 hours either, but full 12-13 hour shifts. When we have trials and I'm playing facility manager, I'm the first one there and the last one to leave. It's hard work. It sucks. I love it.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 03-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I would honestly not mind getting out of dogs for work.

How does one go about looking into government jobs?

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 03-22-2013, 09:25 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I would honestly not mind getting out of dogs for work.

usajobs.gov lists available positions.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I would start with finding someone that has one and schmoozing the crap out of them. I don't want to be all depressing but unless you have a military background or know someone where you're applying it's going to be really difficult to get into a government job. :|

I only have direct experience with federal, but I'd guess it applies to state as well.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 03-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, I am really close to a sociology degree, but I really don't want to finish it, tbh.

I would love to go back to school, and I was accepted and sent in all of my stuff and was ready to start then....Siri Because great life decisions! I won't have a puppy and try full time school and full time work. No way!
I would really really like to go back for HR Management, which was what I was accepted for, and it's a completely online program for a school here in the cities. Once Siri is adult and doesn't need so much of my time I am sure I will re-apply for that same program. That field really interests me.

My main concern is that I will just get too comfortable in my position and never leave. Especially because with my last promotion I am actually making a decent wage. Nothing great, but it's more than I have ever made before.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 03-22-2013, 11:15 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

Quote:
Thanks everyone!

Yeah, I am really close to a sociology degree, but I really don't want to finish it, tbh.

I would love to go back to school, and I was accepted and sent in all of my stuff and was ready to start then....Siri Because great life decisions! I won't have a puppy and try full time school and full time work. No way!
I would really really like to go back for HR Management, which was what I was accepted for, and it's a completely online program for a school here in the cities. Once Siri is adult and doesn't need so much of my time I am sure I will re-apply for that same program. That field really interests me.

My main concern is that I will just get too comfortable in my position and never leave. Especially because with my last promotion I am actually making a decent wage. Nothing great, but it's more than I have ever made before.

This is what happened to me. I was working in retail for 2.5 years. I really did want to get a job in an Architecture firm. I got comfortable - until like last week when I quit, because I wouldn't have applied else where if I weren't like holy crap, I need money. So here I am, waiting on a call back that will HOPEFULLY come monday.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
I'm working/apprenticing? my way to being a facility manager at an agility focused training center. I work weekends, not just 8 hours either, but full 12-13 hour shifts. When we have trials and I'm playing facility manager, I'm the first one there and the last one to leave. It's hard work. It sucks. I love it.
Yeah, we're not big enough to hold trials and while I could teach on the weekend my type of job (I run the day school and day care) is only M-F during work hours for people who drop dogs off before work and pick up after work. I could also work the desk on the weekend but I work 42 hours already btwn my M-Th 7a-6p and my two training classes monday night. I think I would lose it if I worked more so I have had the ideal of being able to say no. However, if we held trials I would totally volunteer to be a part of them, I bet you learn a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
I would start with finding someone that has one and schmoozing the crap out of them. I don't want to be all depressing but unless you have a military background or know someone where you're applying it's going to be really difficult to get into a government job. :|

I only have direct experience with federal, but I'd guess it applies to state as well.
Unfortunately that doesn't work in state jobs. They hire everyone on paperwork and interviews, not recommendations, in the starter level and you must almost always work your way up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
usajobs.gov lists available positions.
That's feds but I would apply there as well. I used that site to apply for a k9 handler position, it's cool because it logs all of your answers for re-use and with the number of jobs denis had to apply to before he got the two he's had with the gov your fingers will value the answer logging.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
I won't have a puppy and try full time school and full time work. No way!
I did it with baby Auggie, who was a terror of a puppy. It sucked but I did it. With a 4.0 intact as well.
OTOH if it's an online program and you really don't want to do it full-time, why not go back part-time? Just take two classes. Get started now instead of putting it off.

I will say that a sociology degree is INCREDIBLY flexible, and if you want to go into HR management, a sociology degree would look fantastic. If you're really close to finishing it, you should think about it... just one or two classes at a time.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 03-22-2013, 12:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Unfortunately that doesn't work in state jobs. They hire everyone on paperwork and interviews, not recommendations, in the starter level and you must almost always work your way up.
I am very surprised - and a bit skeptical tbh. Federal jobs very much so operate off the premise of who you know (and how many preference points you have). It would be nice if state jobs were different!!

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013