Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Resident fainting goat

My family ruins every name for me.

I had a list of like 150 names.

Having a name that I like in English is hard.
having it sound good in french.. rare.
sound good in spanish.. even more rare.
in creole? Oh gosh, by that time we are down to that there are like 4 names left but it has to work in all those languages!!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Top Dog

Fran, I don't pity you

I really, really like the name Marisol, but I don't know if we'd pronounce it the English Mar-ih-sol, or Spanish Mar-ee-sol. I'd end up calling her "Sunny", anyway, so maybe it wouldn't be as big of a problem as I thought, actually...

I don't think America can handle the name Aurelia, either. I say "Aw-rail-yuh" but I feel like my family would all say it "Aw-reel-ee-a".

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Let it be

My boys are Briggs and Blake. I really like B names for boys (go figure the pets are Bandit and Brobee) but if I did end up having a child with my current spouse he is set on naming a boy Darius (his son is named Damien)... so I think two Bs and two Ds sounds nicer than three Bs and one D.

For a girl I have no clue. I like weird names like Pixie but I also like more traditional names like Penelope.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
My boys are Briggs and Blake. I really like B names for boys (go figure the pets are Bandit and Brobee) but if I did end up having a child with my current spouse he is set on naming a boy Darius (his son is named Damien)... so I think two Bs and two Ds sounds nicer than three Bs and one D.

For a girl I have no clue. I like weird names like Pixie but I also like more traditional names like Penelope.
I actually know a girl named Pixie She goes by pix (Pronounces picks) but it really suits her and the more I used to it I get the more I love the name!

Her brother is named Apollo which is another favorite of mine.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:39 AM
Top Dog

I just added Darius to my list. Secretly, though, I kind of like it on a girl, but I really don't like boy's names on girls, and going primarily by a gender neutral nickname myself, wouldn't want to do that to a daughter.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-23-2013, 05:19 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Her brother is named Apollo which is another favorite of mine.
That was one of my favorites! Couldn't use it though, because my last name has a Spanish ll = y sound, so having a first name is ll = l sound would have been way too confusing for people.

One of my old students was named Cedar (a boy). His sister was Sequoia. It really suited them. They were great kids.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:11 AM
BusterLove

I have a couple of names in reserve (Ie: wont use on dogs) incase I ever do baby it up.

For Boys
Isaac
Sebastian
I LOVED Quentin but I forgot about it when I named Quinn

For Girls
Hazel

My name is Maggie and I love it but every time I book anything official I have to go through the "Yes... Maggie is my full name. No, not Margaret. Yes... it is Maggie on my birth certificate"
And I do sometimes get nametags or certificates with "Margaret S......." on it instead of my real name. That bugs me. ASK! DON'T ASSUME!