Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-20-2013, 06:17 AM
Little dog, big voice

Default Rally Novice titles

This morning on a whim, I came up with a somewhat large goal for Cali and I. Since I'm no longer competing in my provincial equestrian circuit this summer, I figure that I'll have loads of spare time, so I want to work towards some sort of title for Cali although I'm sure it'll take a few months to work to that.

I'm just wondering how much your dog knew before you entered your first rally trial and if you had any pointers for someone looking to get started?

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Top Dog

Basicly, your dog needs to know heel, sit, down and stay. You, on the other hand, need to know the rules and how to do the signs. Caleb & I had taken a puppy class and some beginner obedience. Then Rally classes were offered close to us. Do you need to take classes? No. But they sure help to learn the signs and regs.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:40 AM
Little dog, big voice

I'm hoping to take a class this spring/summer, since I know the trainer teaches a class because last year, she had shown me a video she took of a Papillon at a rally trial she went to with her JRTs.

I'm starting to do a little reading, and by the sounds of it, I need the most work between the two of us. I always get so nervous at horse shows during conformation/showmanship classes so that'll be my biggest downfall, I think.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:55 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Mae View Post
...always get so nervous at horse shows during conformation/showmanship classes so that'll be my biggest downfall, I think.
I hear you on that one! Taking classes will definitely help- the better you know the signs, the less nervous you will be. I've discovered that as soon as the judge says "Forward", my nerves go away- until we get out of the ring. Then I'm shaking like a leaf. LOL Once we get going, I tend to block everything out but the course and the dog.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:45 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Definitely take a class if you can because some of the new signs are confusing LOL. Auggie got his RN easily. Payton probably would have if he weren't busy losing his mind in the ring. A heel in rally isn't judged quite as harshly as in the ob ring (well, depending on the judge, but it's not SUPPOSED to be) so you really just need a decent heel and a dog who will respond to sit, down, and I think stand as well but that might be advanced, not novice. Also call to front, and a dog who will go back into heel either side.

I think rally is quite easy as long as you know the signs! There are YouTube videos going over them if you can't take a class, but I think if I had a class I could take, I would.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 03-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Little dog, big voice

It sounds/looks quite easy, at least at the start. I've been working on Cali's sit/down/stay daily for a couple weeks now inside so I've started asking for a sit randomly on our walks and last night, she sat each time I asked without hesitation.

I'll have to hope Cali will stay quiet in the ring since she's such a talkative little thing, and I'm sure she'll want to go say hi to the judge and everyone in a 100m radius.

I think realistically if I keep up with her daily training, we could probably go to a trial after a few weeks of taking the rally class. The signs will make it easier for me, because I'm notorious for forgetting my showmanship patterns when I get nervous.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Owned by Belgians

I didn't take a class, but I went to a Show and Go and the "judge" gave me some pointers. I also always bring the rules with me to shows, though people are really helpful if you ask how to do something. Even in Excellent level I still ask people sometimes if I'm doing the walk-through without my rules.

Print out the rules for your level and run through each sign with your dog. The rules are detailed enough that you shouldn't have any question.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Top Dog

You need heeling, sits, downs, stay, come front and left and right finishes for rally novice.

I had to ask what one of the signs meant in our first trial. We got a 90 anyway.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Definitely take a class if you can because some of the new signs are confusing LOL...
Honestly, the new signs won't be hard for someone new to rally since they're learning all the signs anyway. The sign I've seen people get confused over the most is the new "Call Front, Return To Heel". AKC messed up on that one big time- it should say "Call Front, Handler Return To Heel".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
... Also call to front, and a dog who will go back into heel either side...
Oh yeah- I forgot about the Call Fronts.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:23 PM
such sights to show you

I highly recommend practicing heeling and attention around distractions, like going to pet friendly businesses.

Otherwise, try to relax and have fun. For real, if I can do it you can do it.