Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Silence! I ban you!

Condoms exclusively. We have 2 children and no unplanned pregnancies.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I've been on depo for approaching 10 years now (not continuous.) I went off it and tried Nuvaring, had a terrible reaction to it including depression and it took me a while to even figure out it was the Nuvaring making me depressed. Next we tried the Mirena IUD and it was okay, but I didn't love it, had tons of discharge while on it (another forum, a girl said "it's like my hooha constantly has a runny nose" and that's EXACTLY what it was like... ugh) and finally I just had it removed and went back to the depo.

That said you should also always use condoms on top of whatever else you are using... a friend of mine conceived two of her children while ON depo, which in theory should be impossible, but obviously nothing is 100% except not having sex. And on Mirena, the risk of an ectopic pregnancy exists - one of my radio station co-workers went through it and it was devastating. So whatever you go with, no reason not to wrap it up too.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 03-20-2013, 09:40 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I've just been on the cheap generic pill (Sprintec) for the past year + condom usage 90% of the time. No issues so far. It still hasn't quite regulated my periods (although they are much more regular now than what they used to be, down to a 2-3 day period instead of a 2-3 week period), but overall no issues. Go in for my physical sometime in the next month, so we'll see if the doctor agrees!

Old 03-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Top Dog

Before I had my tubal I did depo shot. Loved it very easy and no periods only side effect was minor weight gain
Old 03-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Lord Cynical

Mirena IUD for 3.5yrs... and I love it.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 03-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Behavior Nerd

Barbara, keep in mind you might need to be careful about which BC you use if you're breastfeeding - systemic hormones are tricky when it comes to that from what I've heard. I also think I remember reading that you have to wait 6 weeks after giving birth to have an IUD placed.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:36 AM
Top Dog

I've been on a few different pills over the last few years. I can't remember the first, but it made me very moody. Zarah, (generic yaz) that I'm on now is great so far... it's been about 2 years. No kids, yet. Sometimes I forget to take it though so we always use a back up (usually just pulling out) because I definitely don't want kids. My acne is neither worse nor better, and I've gained some weight, but I don't think it's because of the pill. XD

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 03-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
I've been on a few different pills over the last few years. I can't remember the first, but it made me very moody. Zarah, (generic yaz) that I'm on now is great so far... it's been about 2 years. No kids, yet. Sometimes I forget to take it though so we always use a back up (usually just pulling out) because I definitely don't want kids. My acne is neither worse nor better, and I've gained some weight, but I don't think it's because of the pill. XD
Pulling out? Uh.

Just wrap it up if in doubt. It's 100% more effective.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 03-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Top Dog

Condoms aren't even 100% effective with proper usage, and with how often they break, it's realistically about 80% without backup.

Pulling out, if done correctly, is 100% effective. The idea you can get pregnant from pre-ejaculate is a myth. The only problem with it really is that you're relying (as a woman) on someone else.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Condoms aren't even 100% effective with proper usage, and with how often they break, it's realistically about 80% without backup.

Pulling out, if done correctly, is 100% effective. The idea you can get pregnant from pre-ejaculate is a myth. The only problem with it really is that you're relying (as a woman) on someone else.
No, its not. Nothing is 100% effective except abstinence.

If used correctly every time, withdrawal is about 96% effective.
If used correctly every time, condoms are about 98% effective.

I'm not sure where you are buying your condoms from, or how well you are checking expiration dates on those, but if you break them 20% of the time, you're either using cheap condoms or you're doing it wrong.

percentages used are going by memory and may not be exactly accurate. College was a long time ago.

As for the OP, when I was on BC, I was on Alesse. Can't be on anything hormonal right now, though, due to drug interactions.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13