Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Top Dog

Ivan is the only one crated. So I have one crate in my living room. I do have a sidebyside suv one that stays folded up either in the spare room or my room. In case we have guests. Then Ivan gets moved into one of those rooms during the duration of the guests. Peewee never gets crated and neither does the dane who is here unless you count her getting the daughters bedroom door shut. I do the same with the Hazels room too.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahHound View Post
No crates here I can't imagine crating dogs, nothing against it, just nothing I do.
This, lol. I have zero against it, it's just not something we've ever done (except as young pups). So it's 'odd' to me. My dad has just never been a fan of it, for whatever reason, he always feels guilty. Our Golden and our GSD were always left loose when I was growing up, my whole families dogs are left loose, etc. My grandma adopted a Foxhound last year that has to be crated, she's the only dog I've ever personally known who literally will destroy a house.

Brit & Jackson

Old 03-18-2013, 02:49 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahHound View Post
No crates here I can't imagine crating dogs, nothing against it, just nothing I do.
This has always been our house.

Then again, we have ferrets. Anything that we don't want destroyed is put behind doors already because of them.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13

Last edited by JessLough; 03-18-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:58 PM
Top Dog

Carma has a crate in my room now and probably will for a long time since she's so wild. Aiden was crated until he was 2 or so and is left in the closed room. He could have free roam of the house, but I keep all the dogs (except Aiden and Freckles who can stay together) separated so one room confinement for each is safer.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Little dog, big voice

Cali has a small crate within a big crate.

The big crate would probably be a good size for a full grown lab with some wiggle room and her small crate is simply a cat crate. I have a blanket piled up in the big crate and her small crate, which she sleeps in, has a cushion type pad. Her food dish and a tiny bit of water are on the side of the big crate and she typically has one plush and one chew toy in there although I don't think she touches them while in the crate.

Then there's a blanket covering most of the crate and we always leave the TV on.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Allons-y!

All three crates are in the living room, against a wall - the whole downstairs has a pretty open floor plan so the crates don't make it feel crowded. All three of mine are crated during the day, although really Newton is the only one that needs to be. I'm sure the other two would be fine - it's more due to habit than anything else that they're crated.

Emily &:
Aurai Treasure Island - "Simon"
CH Aurai Defying Gravity CL1-R - "Newton"
MBIF CH Tova's Don't Stop Believin' of Aurai CL1-S CGC - "Journey"
BIF/BISS CH Tova's Cricket Song of Ardmoor Farms CL2 CGC - "Cricket"
Visit us on Facebook!
Old 03-18-2013, 03:51 PM
& the Muttly Crew

They aren't always in use, but each of the dogs has a crate in my office to retire to if they feel the need. Webster likes sleeping on top of the girls' big 42" crates so I recently stacked his. Now he can see out the window from his crate which makes him a happy boy. Unfortunately it also means I can't use the top of them as convenient places to start plants anymore...they have great sun (another reason Webster likes it) so I'll have to find a new place to start my seeds.

Crate skills are important for my dogs given how much we travel together so I imagine I will always have at least one crate per dog up somewhere.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 03-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

Shambles is the only one crated, yet somehow I have an obnoxious maze of crates in my bedroom now because ALL of my boys recently decided they would like crates. Seriously. Jack and Jonas have never been crated a day in their lives, but suddenly Jack started sleeping in Sham's crate, much to Sham's chagrin. Then a few days ago I started finding Jonas in Sham's crate. I guess it's lucky I have 8 odd crates for foster/transport so every one has their own **** crate now and I have no floor space.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

I'm spoiled and have a whole room just for the dogs. I normally just have two 42" wire crates side by side, but with the foster here, I had to do a little rearranging and moved them to the outside wall. Still side by side. Lol. Then I have a shelf for all my dog stuff, and I store my dog food on the opposite wall, and the soft crate by the door to the closet.

Eventually, when we have four full size crates, I may have to stick one up top unless I can move a big bookshelf.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 03-18-2013, 08:39 PM
I'm All Ears

I plan on using crates more often for Nextdog for sure. It's bitten me in the butt that I never really crate trained Mia. Summer came crate trained but seemed to have forgotten it over her period of SA. She's good in the car but at home, she's not. And at class... oy.

But I'm not going to keep Nextdog in the crate while I'm at work or anything. I will use a run for that. But crate games? DEFINITELY. And I think it'll be nice to have the crate training separate from the 'keep the dog safe while I'm at work' area. I can really build the crate up in very short intervals. I want my dog happy and content in their crate for travel time and class time.

I can't imagine having a dog that can run loose. It's funny because all my past dogs prior to Mia earned the ability to be loose in the house without supervision. Mia has me completely paranoid. She is just not safe loose, even if I pick up everything. I can't see her ever getting free roam. Every time I would give in and test her out loose for even 5 minutes... she'd get into loads of trouble. Doesn't matter if I've run her 3 hours prior or not. When I'm home to watch her, she's perfect around the house these days. Second I leave though, all bets are off. She may have ruined it for all the other dogs in my future, lol.