Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
I agree that the BH sounds like considerably more than a CGC, but a CGC is considerably more than "breathing and hasn't bitten anyone". (and the 2nd part isn't necessarily true. A dog could bite someone, and still get a CGC, they just can't have bitten someone during the CGC.)
I was being more facetious than factual I've seen a few CGC's done and they weren't too involved relatively speaking. Again it depends on what the end goal is as to what is "a lot" of training and what isn't.

A BH is considerably more than a CGC. It is also considered a basic temp and OB test that one must pass in order to go for titles. Judges do have a fair amount of leeway when judging these. Some dogs can fail a few exercises, but if they judge thinks the dog has what it takes to move on, they'll over looks somethings like dogs coming to heel instead of a front, or downing on a sit in motion or vice versa. Where in a trial for a title you'd be penalized much more heavily and probably won't pass.

Here's a video of a nice BH done by a friend of mine to give you an idea of what the OB portion is like.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JqMNKtg2zPs?list=UUm4XcKMPJzMjJ1292frgZww" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgilityPup View Post
. The heeling pattern will not be our issue. Our issue will likely be the long down, and then the bikers, joggers, etc..
This is exactly what many forget, when you have a sharper, edgier, more environmentally alert dog it's far less about the technical aspects and more about the whole package. It's workable and a real accomplishment with dogs as such but it's not as easily done as some may feel.

Also judges definitely do vary, most want BHs to pass and will help where they can (mine totally did, we failed on our own merit, being less socially exposed than I thought- and we had our CGC) but not all are so forgiving.

I think it's great you're shooting for it even if its the only thing you'll do in the sport.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Oh Kes failed his first time too - handler error due to nerves sealed the fail after he broke the long down (I touched him). His BHs were both easy compared to some I've seen and heard about: group was standing still and silent, traffic portion was literally one pass by the car, dog-dog assessed in the traffic portion with handler present, etc. Aeri passed on her first try with a much harder judge (followed rules to a T, though the group was still calm), but NQ'd in AKC obedience because her stand stay isn't solid yet.
Yup, we had an extreme group compare to people we've talked to, I'm not complaining as much as I wish I would have known to train for it more. Also our traffic safety was about 15 people who joyfully passing pressuring and even bumped (the judge laughed and said not that close guys) Sloan and Denis, I was genuinely thankfully at that age Backup didn't make it that far. The bike was ridden by a kid and he was ringing the bell nonstop and swerving, again the judge laughed and said don't run them over kid! Sloan didn't have an issue but Backup would have sidestepped out of concern. Now I know what to practice for and if the next BH is a breeze that's great but we sure got thrown in the deep end with ours. lol

Old 03-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Behavior Nerd

Oh and I did forget to mention, at least with UScA, there IS a rules test the handler takes as well, prior to the OB and traffic portions. The handler only has to take it the one time, even if their dog doesn't pass, but you do need to study the rules.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Agility freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
This is exactly what many forget, when you have a sharper, edgier, more environmentally alert dog it's far less about the technical aspects and more about the whole package. It's workable and a real accomplishment with dogs as such but it's not as easily done as some may feel.

Also judges definitely do vary, most want BHs to pass and will help where they can (mine totally did, we failed on our own merit, being less socially exposed than I thought- and we had our CGC) but not all are so forgiving.

I think it's great you're shooting for it even if its the only thing you'll do in the sport.
Simi is one of thoe more edgy dogs, honestly. And I think that a lot of this will be a great test for her, and when she's able to pass it, I feel like she will be a more steady, sound dog in general.

I am going for the BH because CGN (canine good neighbor or whatever) are very rare around here, Obedience competitions are few and far between, and because the local Schutzhund club is one that is full of working bred GSDs, including Simi's breeder who is the head trainer, and I feel like some of Simi's... well, quirks will be better accepted and handled in this club opposed to elsewhere.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 03-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Bite me.

Raptor and I are doing his BH on the 30th of this month. I'm not worried. Basically, if the dog stays with you on heeling, stops on the exercises out of motion, recalls to you, and stays on the long down, you'll pass the obedience part.

As far as the environmental part, I never worry about it but I can see how some dogs it might be an issue. Get them used to the scenarios before you go.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Agility freak!

This will take some training for Simi, I am sure, and I'm not going to rush her into it.

As of right now, I'm trying to think of a way to raise some money to try and pay the $250 membership fees... Made up some Schtuzhund related t-shirt designs (I'm going to do some general dog and agility ones too)... anyone interested in seeing?

Old 03-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Behavior Nerd

Given your restrictions on options for obedience trialling, the BH *does* make more sense. Bummer that you have to pay full club fees for just a BH, tho - might they take payments? Our club has done that before.

I'd looove to see tshirt designs....

Old 03-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I want a shirt!

Old 03-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Agility freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Given your restrictions on options for obedience trialling, the BH *does* make more sense. Bummer that you have to pay full club fees for just a BH, tho - might they take payments? Our club has done that before.

I'd looove to see tshirt designs....
I am also going to look into doing some tracking with her, and who knows, I might also do some protection work after, it's hard to tell, really. I gotta get a taste for it, with my own dog, first. I've watched a lot, just haven't ever had the chance to do it myself.

I'll make another thread for the t-shirt designs!