Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-14-2013, 11:18 AM
Agility freak!

Honestly, I don't know that I will ever do any more of the IPO titles beyond trying for her BH, so I don't think I'll be one of those to wait for her to be ready for the next title. I don't know if we'll carry on to do the rest after her BH (besides maybe some tracking) or not, it really depends. I think it'll still take Simi quite some time to be ready for her BH. The heeling pattern will not be our issue. Our issue will likely be the long down, and then the bikers, joggers, etc..

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 03-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Behavior Nerd

tbh I don't really get why someone would *just* get a BH - it's an entry level obedience test that is generally hard to fail and isn't even scored other than pass/fail. If you want a good way to trial your obedience skills, just enter AKC, UKC, or CDSP obedience!

Old 03-14-2013, 11:43 AM
Water Junkie

It sounds like a BH and a CGC are basically the same thing, no?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 03-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Top Dog

no, CGC basically means your dog is breathing and hasn't bitten anyone. A BH is considerably more than any CGC i've ever seen done
Old 03-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Behavior Nerd

I think of it kind of like a combo between CGC and Novice-level obedience.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Backup failed. <SOB>

lol I did however push him to trial before he was socially mature and I lost him in a really extreme group (jogging in place with exercise video high knee kicks).

He also does better in BH than CD though because we can stretch out and gain distance from environmental stresses. I did a bit better as far as ring nerves, not waiting for a command to be called prevented a bit of the stumbling and tearful panic that I was turning the wrong way when someone said right turn. Plus you can whisper to your dog more easily in a BH because the judge is rarely on your heels with ears perked for double command point deductions.

On the flip side some people have more trouble with the distance, it's easier to lose a lower drive/more environmentally stimulated dog, it's also frustrating for some to have to count their steps and remember them. Also the recall is longer which for some can be better and for some be worse.

The benefit is you don't have a stand for exam but there is a down in motion and long down is longer and more distracting.

For me the training isn't the hard part nor the defining aspect of difference, for me and my dog it's the environment for better or worse.

We'll go again for our BH this summer and I am pretty sure we're ready. We have all of the technical aspects down pat but the stress of being judged wears on me and my dog is extremely susceptible to that, he's overcome a lot of his quirky distrust with strangers and ignores them primarily but who knows? He'd never, ever even flicked an ear in a long down before his BH and although he didn't break he crawled several feet to investigate a sexy doberbitches scent spot.

Sloan passed on the first try without an issue, she trudged through it though and I assume with age she could have been flashier. She's not a super flashy dog but she was pretty flat and bored. She'll ideally go for her 1 at the end of the year if we can ever get blinds and an AFrame for practice.

FWIW I can totally understand using a BH as a measuring stick without plans for going further. For one gal we train with she can't do UKC not AKC with an intact unregisterable breed so a BH is a great way to test their obedience without making sacrifices.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
no, CGC basically means your dog is breathing and hasn't bitten anyone. A BH is considerably more than any CGC i've ever seen done
I agree that the BH sounds like considerably more than a CGC, but a CGC is considerably more than "breathing and hasn't bitten anyone". (and the 2nd part isn't necessarily true. A dog could bite someone, and still get a CGC, they just can't have bitten someone during the CGC.)
Old 03-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Glutton for Crazy

BH is longer than the CD, additionally.

You enter, the dog must allow being tattoo checked or microchip checked (which, for no-touch dogs is an exercise in obedience).

It then must greet the judge in heel, without reaction side by side with another handler and dog team.

It then begins a long down while the other dog does its obed routine, or vice versa, and this can be as short as 7 minutes or as long as 20. The dog is downed and you must walk away and turn your back. The other dog then begins the routine. It heels out and back 50 with speed changes on the way back, fast, slow, normal. Then a right turn for 7 and a right turn for 15, about turn and 7 in with a pause and auto sit, 7 back then into the group. The dog must heel around 4 strangers "milling" around and this can be from barely swaying to jumping up and down (that was the extreme we got). Then the dog and handler repeat the heeling off leash starting with the group.

Then the dog does its heel out 15, sit in motion, handler goes out, returns and picks up the dog. Out again 15, down in motion, 30 out, turn and recall to front before finish.

Then the two dogs switch spots and one is in a long down while the other heels.

After this they do the traffic test, dog must handle a large crowd passing and pressuring space, then they must loose walk past a bike ringing its bell.

I think that was it, super loosely.

A bit more than a CGC.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:01 PM
I'm All Ears

CGC is ridiculously easy to get though. Sounds more like a novice obedience.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Behavior Nerd

Oh Kes failed his first time too - handler error due to nerves sealed the fail after he broke the long down (I touched him). His BHs were both easy compared to some I've seen and heard about: group was standing still and silent, traffic portion was literally one pass by the car, dog-dog assessed in the traffic portion with handler present, etc. Aeri passed on her first try with a much harder judge (followed rules to a T, though the group was still calm), but NQ'd in AKC obedience because her stand stay isn't solid yet.