Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Agility freak!

Default Working towards a BH?

So today I went to see Simi's breeder about some inner pack issues and such we've been having, and just to have a general visit and talk about Simi and how's she's progressing, and her breeder is strongly encouraging me to work towards a BH with her. I still have to do some research about a BH and what it entails, but I know a few dogs here have at least that so was hoping someone could share some input about what it is, how hard it is to train towards it, etc..

Thanks!

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 03-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Top Dog

How hard is it? Depends on what you're comparing it to

I don't think it's terribly difficult, it's work, but not hard. It's a basic heeling pattern, some right turns, left turns, about turn, change of speeds, figure 8 thru a group, sit and down in motion and recall. Then there's a basic temperament test with a biker, jogger and vehicle and the handler goes out of sight while your dog is on a tie out with another dog being walked by.

That's pretty much it. There's a pattern of heeling drawn out somewhere on the interent i'm sure, where? That i'm not sure of Oh, and the OB part used to be done on and offleash, but I heard rumblings of that changing. Not sure if it has or not for this year.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Agility freak!

She likely won't be ready to do it this year, anyway, so hopefully it changes the on and off leash thing next year. LOL! I just went and read what it's about... I think it'll take some work, but I am hoping we can work towards it!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Bite me.

Still on and off leash. Some changes in the sit and down, it is now only 15 paces after the sit in motion. BH has a required stop for exercises out of motion, but you will not fail if you don't do it.

Here is the basic heeling pattern-

Old 03-13-2013, 06:06 PM
Agility freak!

I was reading from this site: http://www.kaltersberg.com/Obedience.htm

Not sure how accurate that is, but it at least gives me an idea.

For those of you who have had dogs earn their BH, how long did it take you to train for it? Did it take several attempts to pass it?

Old 03-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Top Dog

I don't know exactly how long, i've done it with some dogs mine, some not, some I trained, some just polished. I usually don't do a Bh until i"m ready to move right into the schutzhund titles, so they're past ready when I do it. Consequently i've never had to do it more than once either. But thanks, now I just jinxed myself. I'm destined to have another "my dog has never done that before" moment at my next BH I'm blaming this thread.

anyway, I'd think if you were halfway serious about it, if your dog is of the age requirement (16 months i think? I don't know dont' quote me) I think over a summer you should have no problem getting one done.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Agility freak!

She's 17 months now, so should be okay for age. I'm not sure if I'll even attempt it this year, but we'll see how all of her training goes. I just know I am happy to have something to work towards with her. Agility is kind of on the back burner for her right now, so I am glad to have a path to start on now. I also really feel like some of the issues that are holding us back from agility will be helped by working towards and getting, eventually, her BH.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Behavior Nerd

Kes got his BH a year ago, so after about a year of attending club training. Aeri got hers this fall at 2yo - she was allllmost ready at our spring trial but I decided to wait until fall just to clean up a few things, so probably about 18 months of attending club training but only about a year of training for it.

Depending on the judge, the scoring can be suuuper lenient, or fairly sticky.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:19 AM
Top Dog

I actually hated trialing for the BH because the heeling routine is sooo long and you are out on the field for what seems like forever. It took Aiden about a year and a few months to prepare. I probably could've cleaned it up a little bit, but I didn't. With Carma, I am planning on having her ready to trial for at least the IPO1 before I go for the BH.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:02 AM
Top Dog

Kastle has been training for his BH since I got him. He'll be 2 in May and I'm not planning on trialing until we're close to ready for our IPO I. I looooovvveeee teaching the micro moves in Schutzhund heeling. Cannot wait to do it all over again with NewPup. Obedience is my favorite phase of IPO...although we've barely started protection and I track dogs for a living so that might be why haha