Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Question Freds limp - ideas/advice please.

I'm so worried he's done something permanent, which is silly because I don't even know what he's done.

Long story short, we noticed a limp at ringcraft a couple of weeks ago, quite significant. My other half says he'd noticed a limp on and off before this, mainly when getting up after sleeping etc. Not really noticeable, I hadn't noticed.

No apparent pain or injury. Even when we moved his legs.

Vet trip, spent time manipulating him and worked out its his right shoulder, he gave a yelp when this was manipulated. First sign he's shown anything hurts.

Anti inflammatories and rested for a week, no walks, out to wee on a lead. Still a slight head bob limp when walked up and down. Back to vets, they have said to continue with rest and drugs and reckon its a pulled muscle.

The only thing we can think of is we think he ran into s tree in the dark, but that was something like a month ago.

What do people think?

He appears to limp more the day after moving on it, which makes me think something is stiffening up???

I'm worrying and hope its unnecessary. Vet said we can do an mri scan if its no better next week but doesn't think it will show anything.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 03-13-2013, 12:04 PM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

It's possible that he could have Pano. What type of food is he on and how much are you feeding?
Old 03-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Top Dog

Maybe an OCD lesion in the shoulder? Shouldn't require an MRI, and xray can generally pick it up.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Sit! Good dog.

He's fed James well beloved, which is a biscuit. He was on puppy, then junior, and recently (couple of weeks?) had adult as his ran out and he has been eating Bodhis. Today we started to introduce raw.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:05 PM
such sights to show you

I can't remember, has he had x-rays of the shoulder yet? A dog this breed, this age, I wouldn't fool around. I would do imaging - whether that's x-rays or MRI or whatever is available for you and your vet.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I can't remember, has he had x-rays of the shoulder yet? A dog this breed, this age, I wouldn't fool around. I would do imaging - whether that's x-rays or MRI or whatever is available for you and your vet.
No, nothing yet

Old 03-13-2013, 03:48 PM
such sights to show you

Well it could be just a strain or sprain - most of the time with young active dogs, it is. But at this age there are enough developmental orthopedic things that can happen that benefit from early diagnosis and treatment that I personally like to be aggressive with imaging earlier rather than wait and see. A 2 or 3 year old dog, I'd wait and see for awhile. An adolescent GSP, not so much. JMO, it's not really right or wrong either way.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Well it could be just a strain or sprain - most of the time with young active dogs, it is. But at this age there are enough developmental orthopedic things that can happen that benefit from early diagnosis and treatment that I personally like to be aggressive with imaging earlier rather than wait and see. A 2 or 3 year old dog, I'd wait and see for awhile. An adolescent GSP, not so much. JMO, it's not really right or wrong either way.
Honestly, it's something we have been discussing since the first vet trip. And every day since!!

Old 03-13-2013, 08:04 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
This. I would get him imaged.

If those don't show anything, you might look for a acupuncturist and make an appointment. We've had good luck with acupuncture with Jack's issues.

Here is the site for the UK: www.abva.co.uk/

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:42 PM
Top Dog

Fleetwood had the same thing at his age, except it was a bit worse. The first vet thought it was Pano, and the second vet said OCD (it is very common in the shoulder, by the way). We did x rays, and there seemed to be nothing. When she got a new digital x ray machine, we did another, and there it was. Clear as day!

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!