Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPuppy View Post
What is this kolesterol? I did a google search and didn't come up with anything in English. I only show in Open Shows, so I just give my dog a nice bath, but if there's something else I can do, I'd like an edge.

Oh, nevermind, its chalk related. I'll go to some vendor's booths tomorrow and see what's available.
Haha, I spelled it wrong. -.-

Basically you just get your hands "damp" and massage it into their legs/feet. Then powder a bunch of chalk on. Mel usually lets it sit for a while and then brushes out all the loose chalk with a boar bristle brush.

Sael I wouldn't worry about doing anything to his face aside from shaving whiskers. I hate shaved whiskers, lol, but she insists it's necessary with collies because half the standard is their head and the whiskers interfere with showing off the shape and planes of everything. Since he's a tri he'll probably be fine without face chalk. There's some tricky color matching and painting that needs to be done with head chalking, otherwise they can look weird. lol. If she finds a mentor for you though, then that's awesome.

ETA: How are his ears doing? Do they stay boxed? If not, you'll probably want to keep gluing them for a while before the show. Loki's are really stubborn about standing up.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:41 PM
Aussie Obssessed

Using product in the ring is illegal in AKC too it's just not enforced much. The ONLY time I have ever seen it enforced is when people have been actively caught dying their dog's coat color.

Hair spray, mouse, chalk, leave in conditioner is ALL against the rules but no one cares. I personally don't use any product in the ring and I have my reasons, but to each his own.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
ETA: How are his ears doing? Do they stay boxed? If not, you'll probably want to keep gluing them for a while before the show. Loki's are really stubborn about standing up.
The right one is great most of the time. The left one is staying taped/glued I took the tape out for handling class last night and it stayed tipped all night, put it in again before bed. I found a way that's SUPER quick to put in/take out, so I feel like I can tape them after the show and take it out again the next morning without too much hassle. I do sheltie ear tape colored black with sharpie so I don't get 23678221 questions whenever I go to the store I tape the right one, too, but I'm not as strict about it since it pretty much lust stays nice.

Quote:
Hair spray, mouse, chalk, leave in conditioner is ALL against the rules but no one cares. I personally don't use any product in the ring and I have my reasons, but to each his own.
I'd rather not use anything, but I still want to be competitive, and if everyone else is using it... :/ I want to go "naked" just because winning/finishing would mean more to me if it wasn't done artificially. But, he's also co-owned and I still don't know what I'm doing, so I'll follow his breeder's wishes. I absolutely LOVE that UKC enforces it. Then all I need to do is a bath and a blow out the night before and a good brushing the morning of.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Aussie Obssessed

I have also heard from a cousin of mine who is a fairly well known collie breeder/professional handler that he has been in the ring competing against a dog who left white footprints in the ring and that the judge excused the dog because of that. My cousin's dog BTW was also full of products but it didn't come off in the ring.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keechak View Post
I have also heard from a cousin of mine who is a fairly well known collie breeder/professional handler that he has been in the ring competing against a dog who left white footprints in the ring and that the judge excused the dog because of that. My cousin's dog BTW was also full of products but it didn't come off in the ring.
Well, I suppose if you're going to do it, the key is to not get caught I would HOPE a dog losing dust all over the ring would get excused. Or if the color came off on the judge or something, ouch lol.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Taxiderpy

lol!!

I think he's nice enough it won't be a problem. The chalk does help whiten up the feet though, especially since they tend to gain an eternal dinge that is so hard to bleach out. lol. I have mixed feelings on painting a mask on a sable that doesn't have one yet.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Top Dog

His legs are still pretty white. I use horse whitening shampoo on him and Gavroche regularly. BUT, we are doing lure coursing the day before. And that usually means grass stains lol. So he may benefit from some touchup on his white.

One of my worries is that he's not as fluffy as most of the other smooths I've seen. But my understanding is that he's homozygous for smooth, whereas Loki and Jordan are heterozygous (obviously lol) which makes them fluffier, right? I mean, I prefer his coat to a fluffier one, but I don't know what judges prefer or if it even matters. I do try to fluff him up as much as possible when I blow dry him, but I'm also down my blow dryer now and I'm 99% sure I won't have it back in time. I can borrow the one from work, but it's not nearly as powerful.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
His legs are still pretty white. I use horse whitening shampoo on him and Gavroche regularly. BUT, we are doing lure coursing the day before. And that usually means grass stains lol. So he may benefit from some touchup on his white.

One of my worries is that he's not as fluffy as most of the other smooths I've seen. But my understanding is that he's homozygous for smooth, whereas Loki and Jordan are heterozygous (obviously lol) which makes them fluffier, right? I mean, I prefer his coat to a fluffier one, but I don't know what judges prefer or if it even matters. I do try to fluff him up as much as possible when I blow dry him, but I'm also down my blow dryer now and I'm 99% sure I won't have it back in time. I can borrow the one from work, but it's not nearly as powerful.
Do you need me to bring my high velocity dryer? We'll be getting there on Thursday....

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 03-13-2013, 11:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
Do you need me to bring my high velocity dryer? We'll be getting there on Thursday....
I'll let you know when it gets closer and see if mine is back yet. If it's not back that would be AWESOME. Thanks so much for the offer!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:31 AM
Top Dog

I think Open is a good choice, with those options. I've showed in the AOH class before and the judges don't even look at you, sad, but true, so no more of that for us!

I have no clue about the grooming stuff, I love my wash & wear dog!