Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-11-2013, 10:33 PM
Top Dog

Default Dog Want Is Contagious

It seems like everyone is getting a puppy/foster/new dog on Chaz. It's definitely caught me.

We're moving in a couple of months. Which means Gwen will lose her cat friend and play mate, Charlie. After getting her I thought getting another dog to keep her company and help with several of her issues would be a great idea. Then I thought better of it.

But now, with us moving into a decent size apartment that has a weight limit of 50 lbs instead of the usual....5, it made me entertain the thought of another dog seriously.

I'll be able to take her out a LOT more, with us not living so far out and not having a yard to play in, anyway. I've heard two dogs aren't that much different than 1?

I don't want a puppy. Gwen is turning 2 this spring and I would prefer to get a small breed dog around her age (under 5). And another dog would be a pet. We might dabble in dog sports with Gwen, but that's more for fun and bonding than anything.

Convince me I'm crazy and I don't need/shouldn't get a second dog.

(This is for all the other wanters out there, too! )

Edit: Here are a couple of dogs on my 'list' right now. Soooo cute.

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp
Old 03-11-2013, 10:42 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Two dogs is way more work than one!! That's all I have to add

Siri picture taken by Linds.

Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Top Dog

Haha, I don't think that two dogs is much worse than one, but THREE dogs is much worse than two and much harder.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:52 PM
orange iguanas.

I have absolutely ZERO dog want lol. I didn't mind going from 1 to 2 dogs. But going from 2 to 3? I get a little frazzled sometimes. Many times.

In fact, I can send you all 3 of mine for a little while if you'd like. I could use a vacation.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 03-11-2013, 11:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I have absolutely ZERO dog want lol. I didn't mind going from 1 to 2 dogs. But going from 2 to 3? I get a little frazzled sometimes. Many times.

In fact, I can send you all 3 of mine for a little while if you'd like. I could use a vacation.
I'll take Happy She's the easy one, right?

My boyfriend is... well he finds it easier to find flaws in dogs than I do. I think a big reason we (I) haven't gotten another dog is because I want him to be all "Awwww" over it. But our... tastes? are different. And he is NOT a small dog person. Throw him a mini husky and he'd snatch it up, but normal or common small dog breeds? He's not interested.

I haven't even shown him the two I'm drooling over yet. I don't want him to criticize them

I don't think I could handle three, to be honest. At least not anytime soon. I DO want to foster, so there MAY be 3 with a foster, but I'm just not enough of a 'dog person' to handle three at once. And I think my BF would kill me if did have three. But two? We could do two. I think we fight (we don't 'fight' but there are some jealously issues) over Gwen and maybe having another dog would help that? Among other things.

For those with more than 1 one (which is most of you!) what are the pros and cons? If you and your SO are dog people, did it/does it help to have more than one so you can 'share'?

I can't believe I'm giving my dog only child syndrome.

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp
Old 03-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Going from just Ozzy to Ozzy and Enzo wasn't difficult. One dog for each of us to walk, play with feed, train, ect wasn't hard, and the difficulty factor was mitigated by Enzo being a relatively easy dog compared to Ozzy.

Going from two to three was a lot more work, and a lot harder in terms of figuring out what was who and who does what and when and who to take, but again, Ozzy is limited in what he's allowed to do because of DA, so the two easier dogs got to go places, and Oz got one on one time at home.

With four dogs, everything changed, but stayed the same. The dogs ended up naturally pairing off, they have their own buddy/playmate, and when they all do decide to play together, it works out just fine because of the temperaments of each individual dog.

So one to two wasn't terribly hard. Two to three was harder. Three to four was a lot easier. This is how you end up with four dogs.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:21 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
So one to two wasn't terribly hard. Two to three was harder. Three to four was a lot easier. This is how you end up with four dogs.
This is how I feel as well.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
This is how I feel as well.
Lalalalalalalala. I can't heeeeeear you guys!

I keep telling myself the step from 2 to 3 was too hard to even consider adding another. Statements like this do not help the want!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Going from just Ozzy to Ozzy and Enzo wasn't difficult. One dog for each of us to walk, play with feed, train, ect wasn't hard, and the difficulty factor was mitigated by Enzo being a relatively easy dog compared to Ozzy.

Going from two to three was a lot more work, and a lot harder in terms of figuring out what was who and who does what and when and who to take, but again, Ozzy is limited in what he's allowed to do because of DA, so the two easier dogs got to go places, and Oz got one on one time at home.

With four dogs, everything changed, but stayed the same. The dogs ended up naturally pairing off, they have their own buddy/playmate, and when they all do decide to play together, it works out just fine because of the temperaments of each individual dog.

Your experience from one to two to three sounds somewhat similar to mine. Going from one to two wasn't too bad at all for us and Cricket was a pretty easy pup. Going from two to three has been harder and there are so many times I wonder if I made the right choice to keep Joey. But... I do adore him and almost as soon as the thought of regret pops into my head so does the thought of adoration. Joey and Cricket tend to get to go places way more since Bamm is not great in most situations. I do notice they get frustrated when they try to play together though. If Cricket and Joey are playing, Bamm is frustrated. If Cricket and Bamm are playing, Joey is frustrated and tries to weave his way in. If Bamm and Joey are playing which doesn't happen often then Cricket is sometimes frustrated. Sometimes I do wonder if eventually moving up to four dogs would level things out a bit, but I worry about how hard it could potentially wind up being adding another to this crew at some point.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Yeah, two per handler seems easier than three per handler. I have needy dogs and a guilty conscious.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.