Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-12-2013, 07:07 AM
Top Dog

I don't have any real advice, but wanted to say that I'm sorry it panned out this way and fwiw I think you're a fantastic dog owner.

I get the misplaced "letting my dog down" guilt - it's hard for me to remember that if my dogs SEEM happy they probably are. Dogs don't fake it the way people do.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 03-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Aw crap, I'm sorry to hear this. I have to agree it would be wise to leave him intact for now - neutering, particularly in young dogs, seems to be connected to an elevated risk of orthopedic injuries. Plus the testosterone will only help him build and maintain muscle mass.

He is still very young... Too young to totally call a wash, I agree. But even should that be the case in the end, he sounds very happy with you. There are a ton of sporting options for dogs with physical limitations, as others have pointed out. But it sounds like life as a pet suits him just fine. Don't feel guilty about that. He is your dog and he loves you, and that's what matters. Dogs don't lie about love or happiness.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Behavior Nerd

Ditto to the comments about delaying neutering and finding a good second or third opinion from a trained professional.

Keep in mind, too, that if he has jumping issues but hasn't been jumped much, it may be more an adolescent dog lack of coordination or knowledge of how to use their body - I've yet to meet more than a handful of adolescent dogs who knew how to move smoothly like an adult. Aeri's jumping has improved a tooon with specific work on it for example. Obviously, do what you need to to ensure he doesn't have a physical issue, but don't base everything on what people see in an inexperienced dog not actually doing obstacles at this point.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:39 AM
such sights to show you

Add my voice to the chorus of "don't neuter yet -- heck, don't make any big decisions yet." He's a baby. A lot can change in 6 months or a year.

Definitely talk to a sports vet and/or vet PT - they can help you come up with a plan for appropriate exercises +/- muscle building. Happy strong muscles and happy strong joints go hand in hand, but you want some guidance and don't want to do anything counter-productive.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Top Dog

So if I could just ask, why are you neutering now anyway? Any particular reason outside of "popular opinion" (which these days as you can see, isn't that popular any longer)? Honestly, as long as you know you are capable of preventing "oops", he's not "off his rocker" from the hormones, and you aren't at the decision to rehome, what's the rush? I can see what you mean about putting them under multiple times, but in this case and any with anything related to structure and age I would wait as long as possible. Heck, I don't know about Kelpies but for the most part the average dog doesn't usually fully mature till 2-3 years old so he's still got a ways to go, and with a good physical exercise program he may never be 100% right structurally but can improve. Swimming should be excellent for him, you could also try working a lot with balance on an exercise ball every day, getting him to stretch and work the weak leg in a low impact manner.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Owned by Belgians

He's such a cute quirky looking guy!

I have 3 dogs, 2 of them are failed agility dogs. My third is finally capable of doing agility, but I'm too fat now. (I need to work on that.)

My other 2 dogs have other redeeming qualities. At least I think my Malinois does.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Top Dog

I am completely willing/able to wait to neuter. My plan originally was to do neuter/x-rays in one fell swoop, especially if I was considering placing him. BUT, since for now I am VERY relieved to be keeping him and letting him grow up, I am comfortable letting him mature more and then neutering. Or not. I had a freak out and I'm much clearer now - thanks in large part to Chaz. Outsiders' opinions can be so much better than those that are near and dear in situations like these! We're hoping to start at a new agility place in a couple of weeks so perhaps I can ask there about sporty-dog vets.

Today when I came home, I was so excited to see him and be happy that I CAN keep him even if he's "only" a pet and we'll both be just fine
Old 03-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post

Today when I came home, I was so excited to see him and be happy that I CAN keep him even if he's "only" a pet and we'll both be just fine
This made me get sniffly. I'm glad to hear it.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Top Dog

I'm going to agree with the "don't neuter him, at least not yet" opinion. Largely because IME remaining intact can really help dogs who aren't ideal structure wise. Especially dogs who have loose ligaments. It sort of sounds like that is what you are saying is the case with Limit? That he has loose ligaments?

I would start with getting his hips and knees xrayed/thoroughly checked out. The suggestion for a visit with a sport vet isn't a bad one, especially if you are looking for suggestions on how to properly condition him. I will say that lots and lots of great agility dogs have less than stellar conformation. With proper conditioning and training, they do just fine. Most active dogs do far more strenuous stuff in every day life than they do playing agility a few times a week.

IOWs get more information and don't jump to any conclusions
Old 03-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
I am completely willing/able to wait to neuter. My plan originally was to do neuter/x-rays in one fell swoop, especially if I was considering placing him. BUT, since for now I am VERY relieved to be keeping him and letting him grow up, I am comfortable letting him mature more and then neutering. Or not. I had a freak out and I'm much clearer now - thanks in large part to Chaz. Outsiders' opinions can be so much better than those that are near and dear in situations like these! We're hoping to start at a new agility place in a couple of weeks so perhaps I can ask there about sporty-dog vets.

This makes my heart happy. I wasn't on when the thread started, but I have read the whole thing. And I'm glad this is where it has come thus far. (((((((hugs)))))))

I understand the 'not being exactly what you expected' but you'll work it out. You'll find things to do that make you both happy and excited to work together. You'll find your niche, whether it's being a companion or dabbling in the sports you mentioned, even if it might not look exactly how you planned.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l