Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


View Poll Results: Would you eat alone in a restaurant?
Yes, why wouldn't I? 42 73.68%
No way, far too weird or embarrassing or stressful. 9 15.79%
Other.... ? 6 10.53%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 03-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Southpaw's Avatar
Southpaw Southpaw is offline
orange iguanas.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,194
Default

I wouldn't. I'd rather just get it to go and eat at home. It's not so much that eating alone at a restaurant would be embarrassing (although I would probably feel uncomfortable), but for me it's more... what's the appeal in eating alone at a restaurant?
__________________
And if all of it is for naught, well at least I took a shot

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-11-2013, 08:54 PM
sparks19's Avatar
sparks19 sparks19 is offline
I'd rather be at Disney
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 28,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I wouldn't. I'd rather just get it to go and eat at home. It's not so much that eating alone at a restaurant would be embarrassing (although I would probably feel uncomfortable), but for me it's more... what's the appeal in eating alone at a restaurant?
This. ReallyI would just rather be home, in the quiet, in my PJ's with my favorite show or good movie and without paying $5 a drink, sitting on my comfy couch knowing that after the meal I don't have to get up and go anywhere lol.

In a trip alone, totally eating in bed
__________________
Quote:

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”


G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney






Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-11-2013, 09:04 PM
-bogart- -bogart- is offline
Member of WHODAT Nation.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 3,183
Default

I wish I could more. I am with Eddie , people watching is so fun .
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is online now
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,489
Default

A few reasons for eating alone

- Restaurant food is usually much better right out of the kitchen
- Stemming from above.. new restaurant you want to try
- People eating alone are often mistaken for food critics, I've gotten my fair share of free drinks, free dessert etc..
- Test out a restaurant/table in preparation for date or other occasion. The time to find out where the best tables are, where you can hear the toilets flushing, where the best view is etc.. is at a test run. Not at dinner with your mother in law.
- Portion control/speed. You are much more likely to watch how much you are eating and actually enjoy what you are eating while calmly and properly eating alone at a restaurant than at home while watching tv and shoving food in your mouth absentmindedly
- You have a good book you want to catch up on. I am more likely to read a book out and about than I am at home with Netflix to seduce me into its depths.
-Practice your table manners. I eat in more often than not and can get rusty. It's nice to know I've still got it lol
- Meet people/people watch. Nobody is going to wander into your living room and say hello.. but you can meet and see all kinds of people when eating alone. You are often more approachable and hey, it's nice to see people instead of being isolated sometimes
- Get out of the house. Great atmosphere, good music, fresh air, do a little shopping after
- Chance to dress up/try a new outfit. again, the time to see if that dress is going to work is not on a date.. it's when you are by yourself lol
- No dishes to clean
- Part of a date with yourself. Do a little walking afterwards, do some shopping, get some ice cream!
- Be dotted on. It's nice to have your wine poured for you and be waited on sometimes
- People watch. People are interesting, people on dates even more so lol

-Because you are awesome and deserved to be wined and dined even if it's by yourself

I'm sure there are many more lol but just some of the reasons.
__________________

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,036
Default

Um, yes? Well I mean technically I have Logan with me, but he doesn't really count

Quote:
The odd thing is, I feel really bad for people eating alone at fast food places. If they look absorbed in a book or something, I don't mind, but if I see someone sitting alone and not really doing anything to occupy their time, I feel an urge to go sit and talk with them so they don't feel alone. I'm sure they're fine being alone, they probably even like it sometimes. I'm just really awkward.
If you did this to me, I'd probably think you were a creep and leave as soon as possible, and be sure not to drive directly home in case you decided to follow me
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-11-2013, 09:22 PM
sparks19's Avatar
sparks19 sparks19 is offline
I'd rather be at Disney
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 28,363
Default

My mother in law and I would find it hilarious if we ended up seated next to an area where we could hear toilets flushing. One time we went on a hunt for a tea house and ended up at TGI Fridays. With Hamnah drinking iced tea out of coffee mugs. The big joke was "pinkies out" LOL. Yeah we could have pre planned and scouted but we wouldn't have ended up with the hilarious, awesome story that was our 2 hour adventure to find a tea housr only to end up at TGIFridays lol. But then, my MIL is AWESOME and we have a great time
Together with some hilarious stories to tell

I think dining alone depends on the personality. I love being home but i am also out A Lot. Out with Hannah I meet A LOT of people. We have a lady we have gotten familiar with at the bowling alley that runs a league there. Don't even know her but we are on hugging "so nice to see you" terms lol. We meet new people A LOT lol

Treating yourself is relative. Some people like baths with candles... Not my thing at all. I like a comfy couch with a blanket and a good show . That is my idea of me time

Plus one of our favorite restaurants is a local diner and they know us. It is like cheers LOL. We come in and it is hugs all around and HOW YOU DOIN! I love it. I am not the kind of person for being invisible in a crowd. I love being surrounded by familiarity. We get in LOTS of people watching in our average week
__________________
Quote:

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”


G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney






Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Red.Apricot's Avatar
Red.Apricot Red.Apricot is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
A few reasons for eating alone

- Restaurant food is usually much better right out of the kitchen
- Stemming from above.. new restaurant you want to try
- People eating alone are often mistaken for food critics, I've gotten my fair share of free drinks, free dessert etc..
- Test out a restaurant/table in preparation for date or other occasion. The time to find out where the best tables are, where you can hear the toilets flushing, where the best view is etc.. is at a test run. Not at dinner with your mother in law.
- Portion control/speed. You are much more likely to watch how much you are eating and actually enjoy what you are eating while calmly and properly eating alone at a restaurant than at home while watching tv and shoving food in your mouth absentmindedly
- You have a good book you want to catch up on. I am more likely to read a book out and about than I am at home with Netflix to seduce me into its depths.
-Practice your table manners. I eat in more often than not and can get rusty. It's nice to know I've still got it lol
- Meet people/people watch. Nobody is going to wander into your living room and say hello.. but you can meet and see all kinds of people when eating alone. You are often more approachable and hey, it's nice to see people instead of being isolated sometimes
- Get out of the house. Great atmosphere, good music, fresh air, do a little shopping after
- Chance to dress up/try a new outfit. again, the time to see if that dress is going to work is not on a date.. it's when you are by yourself lol
- No dishes to clean
- Part of a date with yourself. Do a little walking afterwards, do some shopping, get some ice cream!
- Be dotted on. It's nice to have your wine poured for you and be waited on sometimes
- People watch. People are interesting, people on dates even more so lol

-Because you are awesome and deserved to be wined and dined even if it's by yourself

I'm sure there are many more lol but just some of the reasons.
All of this, but especially the people watching.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-11-2013, 09:27 PM
crazedACD crazedACD is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 2,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
- Meet people/people watch. Nobody is going to wander into your living room and say hello.. but you can meet and see all kinds of people when eating alone.
Maybe not mine, but YOUR living room seems like it gets some action .
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-11-2013, 09:30 PM
sparks19's Avatar
sparks19 sparks19 is offline
I'd rather be at Disney
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 28,363
Default

LOL maybe we have seen enough "action" throughout te week that really wr just want our living room and NO action for a while
__________________
Quote:

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”


G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney






Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-11-2013, 09:52 PM
RedHotDobe's Avatar
RedHotDobe RedHotDobe is offline
aka RedHotBabe
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,366
Default

I've eaten at places similar to Panera by myself. If there was ever some place fancier I wanted to go and I really had no one to go with, I'd eat by myself. I usually don't because I'm a huge foodie and I like the social aspect of trying and discussing all of the different foods. I'd be bored eating yummy food by myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
This! I'm going to my first movie by myself tomorrow, I've planned it, LOL. I really wanna see Silver Linings Playbook and all my friends have already seen it, and I have a gift card.
Pick me, pick me!
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 AM.


©1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site