Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-19-2013, 11:04 AM
Top Dog

Default Dock diving help?

We took Zinga to the indoor pool this weekend to see if she would jump because she's registered in her first dock diving event this weekend. Well, she had no problem jumping but would consistently jump flat. I tried by Dex's suggestion to but her leash down to give her something visual to jump over and she just ran around it or ran over it without a hesitation. I tried throwing the toy out there first and then releasing her as well as the sit stay and toss while she is running. All flat. Like no arch at all.

Here is a video, now I realize the throw in this video sucks because it's late and really high, but this was how she was jumping even when the throw was on time and the right height. As well as the set toy.

Is there anything I can do differently? Any drills or jump exercises? For a dog like this is it best to throw the toy as they are running or to set it out there? Will jumping from a higher "dock" help, or is she going to belly flop there too? Help! I have no clue what I'm doing here!

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 03-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Yup, toy targeting is how you get a pop. Start on the flat and offer the toy, encourage her to pop up and grab it, don't tease, she needs to be confident she can nab it. Then start working downs with your back to her and the toy low, around your knee, release and when she's almost to you pop the toy in the air where she can successfully grab it ahead of you. Repeat this off the dock, successfully grabs will add confidence in the pop and distance as well as excitement.

With your disc background this should go very quickly. (if that's too rushed I can try to break it down)
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:46 AM
Behavior Nerd

I had a lot of luck with using some Linda Mecklenburg one jump foundation stuff to help Aeri's pop in addition to the toy focus Adrianne mentions.

And of course confidence/experience will also do wonders for many initially flat jumpers.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:46 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Yup, toy targeting is how you get a pop. Start on the flat and offer the toy, encourage her to pop up and grab it, don't tease, she needs to be confident she can nab it. Then start working downs with your back to her and the toy low, around your knee, release and when she's almost to you pop the toy in the air where she can successfully grab it ahead of you. Repeat this off the dock, successfully grabs will add confidence in the pop and distance as well as excitement.

With your disc background this should go very quickly. (if that's too rushed I can try to break it down)
She's got mad hops in disc, so ya, this should be easy! I'll play with it today. Thanks!!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Top Dog

It really wasn't *too* bad of a jump, but I can see what you're saying.

Keep in mind that a real dock for competition is a few feet off the water as well and not so close. I don't know if that may have anything to do with how she's jumping.

As for fixing it, my trainer worked with Frag and I a lot last summer, and we would do exercises where we stayed at the end of the dock (by the water) and engaged him in tug with a ball and then popped it UP very easily off the end for him to jump UP after. Sometimes dogs get too much drive in actually JUMPING and don't pay attention to their reward until they hit the water. So staying at the end of the dock with no momentum calms them down a little and lets them focus on the actual reward more so that they can follow it up, but it is REALLY all about the throw. A nice arc up, not out of site and in front of where they'll be jumping. It's really complex for such an easy sport!

We've only been jumping for two years though, and have really never had this problem, so I don't have much other help, but good luck at your event!

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 03-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Also practice with a soft ball and a bucket. It will mimic a bumper weight and help your throw. My throw is still very inconsistent but a good throw gets 24 feet and a bad one gets 14 from Backup, it's a world of difference. I get teased nonstop by dock dog friend.

Sloan jumps just to jump. No toy target, and doesn't alter with the throw but everyone says if Denis would get her to target he could add three feet and put her in prime competition, however it's low on his priorities and she won't jump for me apparently, bitch.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Top Dog

Can't I just throw a disc??

Old 03-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
She's got mad hops in disc, so ya, this should be easy! I'll play with it today. Thanks!!
Good luck! I will watch the video when back from this walk and see if I see anything else. I'm excited you're jumping her, more sport nerding, yay!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:54 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Oh are you using a disc? You can but god forbid you're in finals and a gust of wind kicks up. We had a killer disc dog pit bull in socal that would sometimes drop from 24(ish 26 was too high) to 19 feet when the wind twisted the disc. Even wubbas are less effective than a flappy or a bumper but it depends on what she'll jump best for.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:56 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
As long as it doesn't sink!

I'm using a frisbee for Recon, most likely. He loves the amphibious chuck it discs.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm