Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Would you co-own a dog?
Yes 27 58.70%
No 13 28.26%
Other - Please explain 7 15.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I haven't clearly read the debate so I should clarify it is asking, in the most general senses, do you like/mind sharing a dog and rights to that dog, whether that includes breeding or finances and if that is part of the why.

I do like the point about not paying if the other owner/breeder owns the litter profits.

I'm not against breeding and having that be a part of the agreement but I'm trying to just be prepared and aware of other issues. I am sure it's all extremely by-case though.

I really appreciate all of the input.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Aussie Obssessed

Lark is not co-owned, however I did sign a contract stating her breeder gets a puppy back from her first litter. But my name is the only one on her papers, Hawkeye's too. Either way I wouldn't have been opposed to a co-own, if she had requested it.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
They're divided like any other property. The only time I've seen the actual registration papers come into play is with the registry themselves, who have special situational regulations involving removing co-ownership status from whichever party lost the dog in a divorce. Certainly didn't come into play at all in my divorce. I got all of the dogs.
It certainly did in mine. Kaia was actually off limits for the property division because she is co-owned on paper between me and her breeder, and somehow because of that didn't fall under common property. Maybe it's interpreted differently in different jurisdictions or something. The attorney explained to me that it's as if her breeder and I were both on my car's registration as owners. If that was the case the court couldn't just take the car and give it to my ex, because it wouldn't be completely mine.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:44 PM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I haven't clearly read the debate so I should clarify it is asking, in the most general senses, do you like/mind sharing a dog and rights to that dog, whether that includes breeding or finances is I guess part of the why.
I don't mind sharing actual legal rights to a dog, depending on what they are. Breeding rights especially would have to be worded and spelled out very specifically and I would only consider it if I had a loophole or written "out" in the agreement on the chance that, just for example, a particular health test came back with poor results. Then I would spell out in the contract exactly WHAT were considered "poor results" that would render the dog not suitable for breeding. Amongst other things...
Old 03-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post

A type of agreement that I would consider to be an actual, legally-binding "co-ownership agreement" are those that stipulate conditions that must be met prior to one party or group signing full registered ownership over to another party.

:
well that has been evident from the outset. YOU consider a co-ownership to be one thing, and the rest of the dog owning world consider it something else.
can you please point me to this very narrow definition of co-ownership that you use?
Old 03-11-2013, 04:16 PM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
well that has been evident from the outset. YOU consider a co-ownership to be one thing, and the rest of the dog owning world consider it something else.
can you please point me to this very narrow definition of co-ownership that you use?
I've already told you what co-ownership is according to UKC and AKC, and what co-ownership entitles you to, also according to UKC and AKC. What other definition are you looking for?
Old 03-11-2013, 04:16 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Logan is co-owned. Basically his breeder owns his testicles. Aside from that he's mine. If I were to die or be unable to care for him, he has a guaranteed place to go. Granted any good breeder would offer that anyway, but my parents would WANT Logan, and really, I don't think he'd be a good fit with them. At all. So I use my co-ownership to tell them that if I die, Logan is not theirs. He needs a job.

Really, though, my co-ownership is no different from a contract except for both our names go on certificates and the like. I happen to like my co-ownership, because I like the breeder and I know she's not going to interfere unless it's justified.

I wouldn't hesitate to do a co-ownership again, especially with the same breeder. Certainly there are some circumstances I would pass on, but a co-ownership in and of itself isn't a bad thing.
This

I like and I trust Merlin's breeder. He is co-owned and she basically owns his testicles and it gives an extra UMPH to the agreement in case I can't care for him so that she gets him. No matter what. Which is very important to me.

I know she wouldn't interfere unless necessary and I trust her judgement and LIKE her.
I mean, I trusted her enough to get a dog from her after all lol
Old 03-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Aware

For personal dogs, no.

For UP dogs, yes.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 03-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Yep. Hopefully in the very near future actually
Old 03-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Lord Cynical

To echo what others have said... as long as there's a good contract in place and it's fair to all parties, I see no problem with co-ownerships. Heck, I was allowed to write Poison's contract myself!

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)