Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


View Poll Results: Would you co-own a dog?
Yes 27 58.70%
No 13 28.26%
Other - Please explain 7 15.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Laurelin's Avatar
Laurelin Laurelin is offline
I'm All Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 29,538
Default

There would have to be the exact right situation for me to consider it. I don't think that it is very likely.
__________________
Mia CGC - (5 year old Papillon)
Summer TG3 TIAD - (10 year old Papillon)
Hank - (approx. 10 month old Spotty Dog)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Pops2 Pops2 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UT
Posts: 3,072
Default

Only if it was someone I know and trust well and neither of us could afford the dog outright (like say a finished four year old dry ground cat hound).
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-11-2013, 11:01 AM
SevenSins's Avatar
SevenSins SevenSins is offline
APBTs & One Crazy Banana
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 277
Default

I co-own most of my dogs. It's really not the co-ownership that people should be concerned about, necessarily, it's the contractual obligations they agree to and sign. Co-ownerships in and of themselves are "fairly" limited in terms of what power each party has; If the dog is intended to be bred, then the actual co-ownership definitely matters more along with whatever contract you're under and I would definitely want the person to be someone I trusted more than I typically do with dog people, but with dogs intended for pet or show/sport only, it hardly matters (aside from the "prestige" of being credited for the dog's wins) unless you're trying to sell or breed the dog for some reason. Aside from the limited function within the registry, they don't do much to prove any sort of legal ownership of or rights to a dog unless backed up by a contract. I personally don't have a problem with co-ownerships and have only really had one serious co-ownership dispute (and even then it was less about the actual co-ownership than the contractual terms that the person had agreed to).
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-11-2013, 11:02 AM
release the hounds release the hounds is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
What would turn you, or anyone, off of a co-own?

Any tricky things to be aware of?

I still haven't spoken directly with the potential for co-ownership so I'm not about all of the details.
there's a rather large and well known kennel in IL that I've trained a lot of their dogs before and how she finds people to agree to her contracts. Basically people buy her dogs from thousands, and honestly she couldn't give me one, but that's another story.

So they pay thousands for a puppy, then they agree to train at her place where they also pay for her trainer and they pay for OFA's and everything else. They pay all expenses involved in having a dog. They pay for shows, travel etc, all involved with that.

Basically they pay for everything and when the puppies are born, she gets all of them and sells them to others and the cycle starts again. She's good at it, I'll give her that.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-11-2013, 11:04 AM
SevenSins's Avatar
SevenSins SevenSins is offline
APBTs & One Crazy Banana
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
there's a rather large and well known kennel in IL that I've trained a lot of their dogs before and how she finds people to agree to her contracts. Basically people buy her dogs from thousands, and honestly she couldn't give me one, but that's another story.

So they pay thousands for a puppy, then they agree to train at her place where they also pay for her trainer and they pay for OFA's and everything else. They pay all expenses involved in having a dog. They pay for shows, travel etc, all involved with that.

Basically they pay for everything and when the puppies are born, she gets all of them and sells them to others and the cycle starts again. She's good at it, I'll give her that.
Those are matters of what contractual terms these people are agreeing to, though, not co-ownerships.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-11-2013, 11:09 AM
release the hounds release the hounds is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
Those are matters of what contractual terms these people are agreeing to, though, not co-ownerships.
that was my point in regards to a question asked about what would prevent you from certain stipulations in co-ownerships
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-11-2013, 11:15 AM
SevenSins's Avatar
SevenSins SevenSins is offline
APBTs & One Crazy Banana
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
that was my point in regards to a question asked about what would prevent you from certain stipulations in co-ownerships
Yes, but I could write all of those things into a contract and give you the dog without a co-ownership, and they would be just as legally valid or invalid as they would be with one. Co-ownerships don't give a person any right or claim to "force" someone to breed their dog, so the issue you brought up really has nothing to do with co-ownerships at all. The only power that co-ownerships have any bearing on is the ability to register a litter, and the ability to sell the dog as a registered animal, because both of those things require either the signature of all parties (AKC) or the signature of the sole signatory (UKC's new policy). That's all. Everything else that I continually see brought up in discussions of co-ownerships are contractual matters.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Laurelin's Avatar
Laurelin Laurelin is offline
I'm All Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 29,538
Default

Yes stipulations are the big deal which is why I would be hesitant with most people. I've seen a couple go badly If the dog washes out of its intended purpose. Things really need to be ironed out . Honestly I just want to have total control of my dog. That and I have zero desire to breed dogs ever. I migh would consider but only if I knew the other very well. Especially breeding wise. My thoughts on breeding dogs Are different than those in my breed more often than not. I wouldn't want to be obligated into something I didn't agreed with. Speaking from experience there.
__________________
Mia CGC - (5 year old Papillon)
Summer TG3 TIAD - (10 year old Papillon)
Hank - (approx. 10 month old Spotty Dog)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Romy's Avatar
Romy Romy is offline
Taxiderpy
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 9,972
Default

Depends what I want a dog for.

When I got Kaia I had no experience in showing and stuff. I was friends with Kaia's breeder, and because of co-ownerships I, a newbie, was able to get the pick bitch of one of only two litters ever fathered by the number one ranked owner handled zoi in the country at the time.

She's an amazing dog, and I'm really grateful her breeder trusted me with her. It's kind of a miracle I was able to get anything like her, because for most people just starting out a dog like her is completely out of their league.

It's worked out extremely well for both of us. Her breeder is thrilled with how well trained and socialized she is, her physical conditioning, etc. She told me this weekend I can flat out have one of her dogs any time in the future. And I have an amazing mentor and friend out of the deal.

When I sit down and think about it, there are a lot of breeders I would happily co own with. So I try to think of people I wouldn't co own a dog with, and realize those people aren't my friends. lol. Short answer, I'd co own a dog with a friend. If I didn't have a friend in the breed, I'd make some first.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Romy's Avatar
Romy Romy is offline
Taxiderpy
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 9,972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
Yes, but I could write all of those things into a contract and give you the dog without a co-ownership, and they would be just as legally valid or invalid as they would be with one. Co-ownerships don't give a person any right or claim to "force" someone to breed their dog, so the issue you brought up really has nothing to do with co-ownerships at all. The only power that co-ownerships have any bearing on is the ability to register a litter, and the ability to sell the dog as a registered animal, because both of those things require either the signature of all parties (AKC) or the signature of the sole signatory (UKC's new policy). That's all. Everything else that I continually see brought up in discussions of co-ownerships are contractual matters.
Legally I don't think you can sell a co-owned animal, registered or not, without the co-owner signing off on them too. I mean, someone could do it and not tell them but technically half the dog would be considered stolen property if the co-owner reported it. There's also good chances the seller might have sanctions put against them by whatever club they register with/show under.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site