Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 02-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Top Dog

Does everyone here give their dogs yearly shots? I've read many times before that once every two or three years is fine...thats what I've been doing...

I think maybe its something you can consider if your dog has allergies to the shots...my dogs are usually not around other dogs and I never leave them in bording kennels or anything of the sort...so I usually feel pretty good about giving shots every couple of years instead of annually...my Chi, however, has not had his shots for the past 4 years come to think of it..lol
Old 02-12-2005, 10:11 PM
Big Dog

Its a good idea to give them a shot every year against Distemper,parvovirus and Hepatitis but the manufacturars of the vacc do say that the immunity can last up to two years, so there you go, BUT if you vacc against Kennel cough that HAS to be every year cause the immunity level drops by 10-12 months, Your dog doesnt need to be in contact with other dogs to pick up distemper and Parvo, they just need to walk over the area an infected dog has been! Rabies I dont know anything about cause we dont have that here in Australia, The other good reason to take them in yearly is to get them checked over the vets pick up things sometimes that the owners didn think were a problem so its always good for a yearly check up! Combining vaccines is fine as long as they are not mixed together in the same syringe if they are not the same brand. we have a vaccine called a C5 which is all 5 viruses Parvo, Disptember, Hepatitis, Parainfluenza and Bordatella in one vacc, Its fine, less stress on dog having to give only one needle. Like i said earlier i dont know any thing about rabies vacc so they one might be different
Old 02-13-2005, 12:17 AM
Big Dog

That's interesting, I did not realize that Australia did not have a rabies problem. Good thing because it's a terrible and deadly illness.
Thanks for the replies everyone!