Getting a Papillon with two terriers?

Call

Hi there, I have two four year old JRT's (not Parsons) and would like another dog to do agility but also show to a champion. I have researched the breeds and went to Crufts to see the Papillon and reall liked them. They are very friendly, good at agility, easy to groom and very pretty. Plus they are a healthy breed.

Since it would be doing agility when it's a little older, it will probably be on the bigger side of the scale -probably 9-10 inches.

My dogs are one male and one female, littermates, neutered and spayed. They are calm members of their breed and the male has a little growl aggression towards bigger bouncy excited dogs/puppies but he has become much better. He loves smaller puppies/dogs.

The female has no issues what-so-ever.

I do agility with my current dogs. Been in classes for two years and will start to compete next year. Since I walk, train and spend the most time with them, they are most attached to me. They are very obiedent and love sleepy time on my lap just as much as five minute long zoomies.

I have researched the Papillon within an inch of its life and think this is the best breed for what I would like.

The only thing that worries me is the fragility. I would take the puppy (not getting a rescue) to puppy school and crate train it. The JRT's have their bed, food and water bowls behind a baby gate in the utility room.

I would not leave them alone (after introducing them properly and making sure they get along), but was wondering if when the puppy's bones are fully developed and they like each other, I could let them play together?

Thanks.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
I think it'd really depend on how your dogs play, I know that a lot of dogs will "go easy" on puppies.

All in all, they're a great breed. Cali is probably the most happy, bouncy dog I've ever met and at four months old, she ran right up to a full grown Great Dane and expected to play. I think I've heard that a lot though, that they sometimes forget their actual size so you just need to be careful.

Honestly, I think they're typically less fragile than they look, but as a puppy, they are pretty fragile. I'm still worried at times about Cali when she meets a new dog who is larger than her, so I always observe the demeanor of any approaching dog while we're on a walk.

Call

Thanks Cali, your Pap is so cute!

To be honest, I have been doing research on the breed for almost a year now. I live with my mum who liked the breed when we went to a Champ show to meet them, but...really annoyingly...she gives off the impression that I will be getting a promise of a Pap puppy on my birthday in November (as she knows I would want to choose the breeder and meet the puppy beforehand), but then she says a sentence that says she won't.

But then she'll ask me what breed I would choose, I say Pap, she asks if I'm sure and I say yes. Then gives me the impression she will get me one again.

It's rather annoying. She's been this way since this time last year.

We have room, time and money for another dog.

milos_mommy

I would say as long as your dogs are well mannered and stable, and you don't leave them unsupervised, there would be no reason to not allow them to play with the puppy.

If the puppy becomes fearful of them, or is trying to get away, or they're being too rough and hurting her (she'll likely let you know by crying or trying to escape), it can be very beneficial for a small puppy to play with an adult dog.

If she was super-tiny, like a "teacup" type of dog, I'd be a little more nervous, as they're prone to health issues anyway, but a normal sized papillon shouldn't be too fragile to wrestle or play with well-socialized and unaggressive JRTs.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
We had a 16 lb terrier foster with all of our dogs. They were ok together. The paps didn't like her at first but she was pushy and rude and wanted to start trouble with them. After a few weeks though, the issues were all but gone. It just took some supervising them, really.

My dogs have been around my cousin's JRT quite a lot. They do fine together but they don't play much. The JRT doesn't really play and the paps kind of hang together. But no issues there.

The JRT that used to be in our agility class hated Mia for some reason. She would lunge at Mia from a ways away. So needless to say Mia didn't appreciate her much.

I think they'd be fine supervised.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I might would recommend a larger male though. In my experience the males can be a lot more rough and tumble. Beau is an 8.5 lb male (roughly) and he's a rough and tumble little guy. Lots of body slamming in his play and he's loud. He's also kind of stocky compared to our others. Bernard is 5.5-6 lbs and a little bit more toned down.

I notice the males are less picky with other dogs.

Cranberry

My papillon is a little larger than standard (11 and 3/4 inches, weighs 9lbs), and she plays just fine with my 18lb, 17 1/2-inch-tall AKK. She's actually the one who's usually slamming into his legs and trying to knock him over! She's also played with cocker spaniels with no problems (although she's never really been into playing with other dogs; she'll chase for a bit and then get bored).

I definitely think you're on the right track with considering a papillon on the larger end of the standard and in not leaving your dogs alone unsupervised. I don't think you'll have any big problems.

Michiyo-Fir

I've never had any problems of my Papillon playing with Terriers although she doesn't wrestle with them. She sometimes plays with 20+ lb dogs to and there's no problems. She's 7 lbs. I don't think fragility is too much of an issue and I agree with Laurelin. Female Paps tend to be more dog selective in my experience so probably a male would be a good option.

Call

Hi all, thanks for your help, just to say have found the right breeder and puppy and will be going there on Saturday!

The puppy is a male. He's 5 months ATM :)

Members online