Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Would you co-own a dog?
Yes 27 58.70%
No 13 28.26%
Other - Please explain 7 15.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Default Co-ownership of a dog

I am currently discussing an option of co-owning and while we haven't discussed what that would mean exactly in this case, except a breed back, I am curious how people feel about this. I have friends who co-own and friends who've walked away when offered only a co-ownership.

Do you like Co-owns? Why? Why not?

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Top Dog

Generally speaking, I feel like it helps protect the breeder/breeder's dogs. I am open to co-ownerships under terms I am comfortable with. Bailey is currently co-owned with someone but... that's kind of irrelevant!

The co-owns I've looked at allowed me say in everything (especially breeding). Although, all health testing/showing/training costs would have been mine.
ARCH URO1 UCD Buzz NAC NCC S-NJC O-TN-N TG-N WV-N RL2 RLVX RN ThD CGC
Old 03-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Top Dog

At the right time, only with someone I know and trust.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Top Dog

Logan is co-owned. Basically his breeder owns his testicles. Aside from that he's mine. If I were to die or be unable to care for him, he has a guaranteed place to go. Granted any good breeder would offer that anyway, but my parents would WANT Logan, and really, I don't think he'd be a good fit with them. At all. So I use my co-ownership to tell them that if I die, Logan is not theirs. He needs a job.

Really, though, my co-ownership is no different from a contract except for both our names go on certificates and the like. I happen to like my co-ownership, because I like the breeder and I know she's not going to interfere unless it's justified.

I wouldn't hesitate to do a co-ownership again, especially with the same breeder. Certainly there are some circumstances I would pass on, but a co-ownership in and of itself isn't a bad thing.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Top Dog

I have co-owned in the past and currently co-own Zip Tie with Linds. I think co-owns work well when everything is spelled out and both sides know exactly what they are in for and what will happen under different circumstances. Contracts are necessary and you have to prepare for the unexpected (dog being rehomed, turning out to have an unsound temp, injury, etc).
Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Top Dog

As you know, Judge is Co owned with his breeder. She has breeding rights to him and can use him on any bitch that we both agree on. Same goes for me.

Something I haven't said much about is that she and I will be Co owning a little bitch puppy this year. I will train most things and title her and Judge's breeder will train other things I can't or don't. I'm return, we will both have a bitch that has the lines and drive we want without being fully committed. Health testing and entry fees are split down the middle as long s both people agree on the test or entry. If not, it becomes the one interested sole responsibility. That is where having someone you trust as a Co owner comes in.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Mira's a co-own so obviously my answer is yes. We've talked briefly about co-owning future dogs as well so yes I would in the future too.

That said, there are about a whopping two, maybe three people in the world with whom I would consider a coownership. And we have a very laissez-faire sort of approach to it and I know we have a very similar priority list on key topics.

I would walk away from the vast majority of co-ownerships I have encountered.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13
Old 03-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

I used to be like, "Aaaaahhhh!!!!! No!!!" But I've calmed down a bit recently.

Even so, I find that many co-own terms don't suit me. I will not own a dog, house it, trial it, vet it, etc, but be required to show it on MY dime, have zero breeding rights, etc. That's crazy. I'm just boarding somebody else's dog for them, then. LOL. Especially if I paid full price for it.

Now, when co-owns benefit both parties, and both parties are like-minded, I think they can be a very good thing. Sort of, "with our powers combined" situation. My friend has a male Frenchie out on a co-own. She shows him for them at no charge, houses him for shows, etc. Basically she swallows all expenses related to showing him, though I think his owner pays entry fees. Honestly though, those are the least of any costs relating to showing. I believe she retains the right to approve any breedings as well, which is fair enough. It works for them because the owner breeds working line Rotts and shows them in German style shows. He wanted a show quality Frenchie but didn't feel up to stepping into the AKC ring.

I just think it's a situation that needs to be approached cautiously. I have seen co-owns used to make people bend over backwards for the breeder. Usually these are the same breeders that like to make you jump through hoops and lick their shoes to get a dog (and are proud of it). I'm not doing that, lol. I'm a **** good home so if you have a nice dog for me, great! I'm happy to answer your questions and meet you and work out mutually agreeable terms, but ultimately I have some lines I won't cross. A crazy co-own that doesn't benefit me in anyway is one of those lines.

That said, with the right person I would co-own in a heartbeat! *shrug* I really think it's situational and very personal.

Contracts of any kind used to make me squirrelly, tbh, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. I like to think I've matured a little bit and I can see their place in the world. I agreed to sign ABMC-R's adoption contract for Blossom, not because I had to but because I recognized a mutual desire to protect her and I appreciated that they were willing to extend their safety net to her. The "give in" on my part was that she needed to be spayed, but I found a way to make that work for everybody as well.

I suppose it's really all about having mutual goals and a willingness to compromise. If I felt those conditions weren't present, I would not agree to a co-own.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I would walk away from the vast majority of co-ownerships I have encountered.
What would turn you, or anyone, off of a co-own?

Any tricky things to be aware of?

I still haven't spoken directly with the potential for co-ownership so I'm not about all of the details.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Top Dog

I think my co-owns are win win deals for us. I don't even have contracts a lot of the time. But I've had long term relationships with those breeders before I ever got a dog from them.

I would NEVER pay for a co-own. I don't care. If I'm paying, it's mine, all mine or i'm not buying from you. If you're retaining any rights, breeding or otherwise, I'm not paying for that, if anything you can pay me

Basically the dog is mine. I train, I care for, do everything with. If they breed with them, they've offered a bit from the puppy sales, though I've never accepted it. I will however gladly accept another puppy from a litter I'd like one from

If I find a dog I'd like to breed with, if we both agree it can happen, though I have zero intention of breeding dogs anytime soon if ever.