Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 10:55 AM
bullie lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie + Chessies
That's fine...but a lab is a retriever, so how can one be more "labish" and one more "retrieverish" when they are one and the same?
I think the poster was referring to their looks. The less fluffy puppies look more like labs, and the fluffy puppies look like golden retrievers.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Show Dog

Drives me nuts when goldens are called retrievers but other retrieving breeds are not retrievers. It's like saying, "Some of the puppies are cockerish, while the others look more spanielish."
Old 04-26-2006, 11:22 AM
:( only one :(

So in retrospect the OP should have said, a bit labish and goldish....

To the OP,
Whatís done is done, just make sure to find great homes for the pups. Do what ever you can to make sure they all get neutered and spayed. Also get your own dogs spayed ASAP.

I love looking at puppy pictures, but you know, the more aware I am about the over populated situation we have with dogs and how many get pts every year because of it I donít see puppies in the same limelight as I used to. Itís sad really, itís as though a bit of my innocence inside me has died. They are still cute, donít get me wrong, nothing cutter then a puppy but I have a sense of doom or fear for the pups I see for what is to come to them in their often short little lives. Especially with puppies in such circumstances. Maybe it's because I see so many that looks the same as these little guys do in shelters.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Certified Animallover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie + Chessies
A question....How can one puppy be more "labish" and the other be more "retrieverish"? Ummm....Isn't a lab a retriever?
I wonder, would my Chessies be more "labish" or "retrieverish", or would they just be "Chessieish"?

Ok another Typo Half have the hair type like Goldens and half have the short Labby hair. Also someone said somthing about cockerish NOPE! Loves Mom was a Lab her Dad was a pure bred Registered Goldern retriever. The Father is Half Golden Retriever/ Black labish dog. The only MIXY mix breed in there is the the Fathers Mom. The puppies all took the trait of Black but soem turned out like goldens and some like Labs. In Loves Mom Litter two looked Like Labs two loooked Like pure Goldens.

As Smkie said it is possible to have a silent heat.

I Will not let these puppies go to pounds. I am telling the new owners that if something should happen they will coem back to me.

ALSO I will not spay them they are 4 weeks old. I was told by a vet to wait till they are to there full growth or in females case till after there first heat. It casn cause growth problems.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:23 PM
bullie lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianmandy
Ok another Typo Half have the hair type like Goldens and half have the short Labby hair. Also someone said somthing about cockerish NOPE! Loves Mom was a Lab her Dad was a pure bred Registered Goldern retriever. The Father is Half Golden Retriever/ Black labish dog. The only MIXY mix breed in there is the the Fathers Mom. The puppies all took the trait of Black but soem turned out like goldens and some like Labs. In Loves Mom Litter two looked Like Labs two loooked Like pure Goldens.

As Smkie said it is possible to have a silent heat.

I Will not let these puppies go to pounds. I am telling the new owners that if something should happen they will coem back to me.

ALSO I will not spay them they are 4 weeks old. I was told by a vet to wait till they are to there full growth or in females case till after there first heat. It casn cause growth problems.
Wow... you really don't read what people write do you? Leslie was NOT saying your lab-golden mixes were cockers... she was making a comparison to other things she has heard.

Also no one suggested you spay them at 4wks. Only that they should go to homes with a spay/neuter contract, so that people WILL be legally obligated to get the dogs spayed/neutered so more puppies like them won't be produced.

Read first, understand second... THEN jump to conclusions.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Yorkie Love

I thought it was better to spay a dog before their first heat?

Is this wrong?

Elissa
Old 04-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Depends who you ask poodlemommy!!

Bodhi was a mistake. Her mums owner is defiantely a responsible dog owner. She puts her dogs before herself. All her dogs are now spayed/neutered.

Accidents DO happen.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-26-2006, 12:32 PM
Yorkie Love

I did not mean all dogs should be spayed... but my vet had said, if you are def. going to spay it should be done before the first heat.

Both my dogs were spayed at 6 months, should i have waited longer?

Elissa
Old 04-26-2006, 12:54 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Quote:
I was told by a vet to wait till they are to there full growth or in females case till after there first heat. It casn cause growth problems.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 04-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Top Dog

There are rumors that actually spaying before maturity tends to make dogs grow bigger, as their hormons don't tell them when they should stop growing. Whether it's true or not I have no idea though. It's one of those endless debates...
Closed Thread