Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

Default Question about kennel names & registered names

The naming threads have me wondering...is there a standard for when you put the kennel name in front of vs. behind the dogs name? Excepting the German breeds, of course, since most GSD's and so forth seem to be So-and-so Von Kennelname.

I'm totally clueless about pedigrees and stuff, so just curious! When would a dog be, say, Sweetbriar's Spot and when would he be Spot of Sweetbriar? And what about dogs with both - Sweetbriar's Spot of Fairhaven. Is that a co-owning thing?

If, as a puppy buyer, you don't have a kennel, do you use the breeder's kennel name in front or is that only for the breeder's dogs?

Purebred folks please enlighten me.

My current project, becoming a nonprofit: Lost Pets of Southern California
Sienna's new blog: Reasons My Dog is Sulking
Old 03-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Vizsla mom

I know for registering Penny, we had to use our breeder's kennel name& it was before her name. So, it's Egerton's Wishing Well and we also had to start our registered name with W. Why? I have no idea lol
Old 03-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Aussie Obssessed

When I breed Lark the litter will be 100% mine no co-breeders, however it is agreed upon in my contract with Lark's breeder that when she picks a puppy from Lark's litter that puppy will be named "Keechak's ............ at/of Diamond Aire" the rest of the puppies in the litter will just be "Keechak's.........."
Old 03-08-2013, 09:06 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Like Keechak said, in the U.S., at least in AKC, the convention is for the breeder's kennel name to be before the main registered name.

Keechak MadeUpName

If a secondary breeder or the puppy's owners want to add their kennel name, they would ordinarily do so at the end.

So generally speaking, if I bought a puppy from Keechak, I would name it

Keechak MadeUpName Shai

or

Keechak MadeUpName of Shai

Mira's registered name followed this convention... [Breeder Name] Mira Shai. I had nothing to do with the breeding, I just like to have my name in all my dogs' registered names to tie them together.

Another variation is usually seen if there are two breeders that breed a litter together...say Keechak and I co-bred a litter on her girl. She's the main breeder but I want my name in there too so we might do something like

Keechak Shai MadeUpName

Of course if the kennel names are really long, that doesn't leave many letters for the puppy owner to work with, but it is another option.

There are no set rules though...these are just kind of general trends for most breeds...to which there are undoubtedly many exceptions lol.

(Apologies to Keechak for being recruited as my example!)

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 03-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Aussie Obssessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post

say Keechak and I co-bred a litter on her girl.
Dogs that herd the ducks and then retrieve them!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:44 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keechak View Post
Dogs that herd the ducks and then retrieve them!
With style.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 03-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Top Dog

Usually the kennel name is first, then the reg'd name. Some situations there's two kennel names.

The 'w' would likely be the breeder's way of keeping track of the litters.

Ticket for example, it was their first border collie litter so it was 'a'. He is Quanda's Admit One.

Sometimes they have a theme and tradition. Storee's breeder names the first litter out of each girl with that dog's name. Storee's mom's name is 'Next' so the litter all has 'next' in it.
Goldcker's next chapter (Storee)
Goldcker's next little twist, nextylucyrightytighty, etc....

With CKC you have to have permission to use a kennel name from that breeder to use it. Usually.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Top Dog

Marsh is [Kennelname]'s [kennelname] at [kennelname].

The kennel name of the woman who houses his mother, and bred the litter
The kennel name of the woman who bred his mother, and co-owns her, and is a co-breeder for Marsh's litter
The kennel name of the woman who bought puppy!Marsh, who is also a breeder, who also owns his mother's sire.

Marsh is the only puppy who is named like this, his brothers and sisters just have the first kennel name on them, except the sister that went to his co-breeder, who has HER kennel name.

Future Tollers, I want to put "at Laurentide" on the end, since I'm really in love with it but don't expect to ever be A Breeder.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Top Dog

Well in France they have a naming system, each year every dog registered will be named first with the letter of that year, then the breeder(s) kennel name(s) go after. 2009 was an "E" year, thus Enda's name starts with "Endless" and her breeders kennel name is on the end, some breeders who co-bred will have "Name" of "kennel name" from "kennel name", etc. That is how it's been done traditionally anyway, and most breeders in the US stick with that, some don't and will put their kennel name first.

In Pems, what you see a lot of is, the main breeders kennel name goes first, after the dogs name goes either to co-breeders kennel name or the name of the kennel the dog was sold to "Kennel name's Magic at Kennel name". Secondary, a lot of breeders also use the litter-by-letter system, first home bred litter all puppy names start with "A", then "B", and so on.

In all honestly, I actually do like the French naming system better, when it comes down to pedigree research I can easily find what year most dogs were born in by just looking at their name! It's just so convenient.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Top Dog

Yeah, it's usually in front, but there aren't any strict rules on it. The breeder I got Tully from does not use the possessive apostrophe s on the kennel name, so Tully was "DayDream London Calling". When I bred her, it was a co-breeding, so I felt that I had to keep "DayDream" in there, and I wanted to come up with a kennel name of my own. Hence, "Flyin". I wanted it to sound okay with "DayDream", and since I felt that Tess had to be registered as "Londons Burning", that left me with only 5 spaces for my own kennel name. So, Flyin DayDream Londons Burning.

When I bred her and got Pirate & Eva, that was actually a co-breeding too. And since I offered to share Pirate, I thought I should try to get DayDream in his name, too. So I thought "Flyin The Jolly Roger at DayDream". But she didn't approve of it, since she thought that putting the kennel name after the name implies that the dog lives there. Which it generally does, but it doesn't have to. I don't mind him having a shorter name, though.