Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Top Dog

Default Gambit Won't Stop Staring at me.

And it's getting seriously creepy. Ever since the day I brought him home, he's had amazing eye contact. Unlike normal dogs, who look away when you look at them, he just keeps looking back at me, for as long as I interact with him. There's never been anything hard or aggressive about his stare, just a sort of curiousity.

Now he's staring even when I'm not looking at him. If I'm working on the computer, I feel his eyes on my back for 10 minutes at a time. At first, I thought I was paranoid, so I set up a mirror so I could watch him out of the corner of my eye, and, sure enough, he's staring at me. It's...intense.

Again, I wouldn't describe it as a hard stare, but there's definitely more going on then the average dog look. It's closer to a BC stare (and he is 1/2 BC), but not quite that either. If this were a strange dog, I would be totally creeped out and trying to delicately put space between us. In my own dog, who I trust totally, I'm still a little creeped out.

According to other people at work, he stares at me nearly all the time when I'm doing other things as well.

Does anyone else have a dog like this? I spend almost 24 hours a day with him (goes to work with me, homebody, studio apartment so we can't even be seperated there), so it's not like he needs to remind himself what I look like!

This isn't an actual problem, but I feel like the staring has gotten worse, and I'm a little concerned about where it goes from here.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Backup. Ask anyone. lol
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Top Dog

Umm....is it a good or bad thing that Gambit and Backup are alike?

I'm not sure if I could handle a Gamb-up (Back-it?). Does anything improve the staring, or should I just get used to it.

BTW- a coworker reading my OP told me that Gambit used to stare at me like I was the Virgin Mary and he wanted to worship me. Now he looks at me like he's a 14 year old boy and I'm a Playboy. I really have charming coworkers.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Not a Border Collie

Sure he's not an English Shepherd? LOL.

That totally describes Quinn. On her ride home at 8 weeks old she sat in my lap and stared up at me for minutes at a time and she's still that way. I will look over occasionally and most of the time she's staring at me and I will have no idea how long she's been like that. It's also really creepy when I catch her staring at me through a mirror, which is a favorite of hers.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 03-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Big Dog

Rolyx does this too, he's a intense starer...have even woke up to him just laying there, staring. Course, when you need his attention outside, well then you don't exist.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:05 PM
I'm All Ears

There are dogs that don't stare at you 24/7?

My room mates used to complain that Summer was always staring at them. I don't even notice at all anymore. Don't get a papillon if you don't want a pair of big brown eyes watching your every moment.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

Sienna used to do this, too, and yes it is a bit creepy! I'm not sure what exactly caused her to stop...but I think it was somehow anxiety based. She still does it occasionally when she gets worried about something - like if there's loud construction outside or, LOL, when the cat is yowling at me to pay attention to her. (For some reason the dog finds this stressful.)

Back when it was really bad, the more it creeped me out, the more she stared. I think she felt that I was uncomfortable, which made her uncomfortable, which made her stare harder. Which creeped me out more...and we were stuck in this awful creepy staring feedback loop.

My solution was to put her in her crate for a little while. Her crate has solid sides so she can't stare at me from in there. Another room would work, too...with a kong or something to occupy the dog.

My current project, becoming a nonprofit: Lost Pets of Southern California
Sienna's new blog: Reasons My Dog is Sulking
Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Charlie stares. Half the time I only know she's staring is because I can hear her tail thumping away while she stares lol.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:54 PM
orange iguanas.

Juno burns holes into my soul with her eyes, yes.

I like it! I mean, sometimes it's a little weird lol but generally I am quite pleased that she's so focused on me.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 03-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Top Dog

I have to say, having a dog that stared at me all the time would probably freak me out....unless it was Backup. Then I would probably be giggling all day.