Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

Default Tranquilizers

I took Beulah to the vet this morning to get her spayed!!!! I felt so bad though, because the vet had me hold her head while he gave her a tranquilizer and the anesthisia. Beulah's head started getting really heavy, then not even two minutes later, she was snoring. It was actually kind of sad seeing her like that. I can't pick her up and bring her home until tomorrow. Beulah is always a little scared of new people at first, but it only takes her a couple of minutes to fall in love with everyone. Anyway, my question is this....Is the tranquilizer necessary? I thought that the anesthisia would make her sleep.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:57 PM
Top Dog

I've personally never heard of a tranquilizer being used for surgery....my doc just used anesthesia for the spay...hmm..I have no idea.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:42 PM
DILLIGAF?

I know for sure that a tranquilizer is not necessary all you need is the anesthisia.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

I wonder if he was just scared of her or something...
Old 02-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Top Dog

Well, he is a vet, he should be used to all types of animals and dogs. If he was scared of her then he should not have gone into that line of business.

Maybe you should ask about it when you pick her up, not that anything can be done, but for your own peace of mind. Maybe he had a legit reason of some kind.

I didn't have to leave Brady overnight, because I think boys are just a snip and that is it. But I had to leave my female cat when she got spayed and it was torture. I hated it. But she came back fine. And then she had to have surgery a couple of years later to have a bladder stone removed from her bladder and I hated having to leave her overnight for that too. She just king of laid around for a couple days after and then she was back to her usual self.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:18 PM
Felurian

I'm not sure how standard the practice is in veterinary medicine, but if you're going in for any kind of procedure that requires general anesthesia it is standard practice to administer a tranquilizer first. I'm just guessing, but I imagine that the relaxed state the tranquilizer brings might make less of the anesthetic necessary.

Maybe there's someone here with some medical knowledge?

As far as the vet being afraid of her, well, vets get bitten by nervous, anxious, frightened animals - and not just dogs - fairly often. It's an occupational hazard and I'd wonder about a vet that didn't have a healthy respect for the possiblities.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Top Dog

Maybe he just wants extra money..imagine giving every dog that comes in for surgery a tranquilizer? That guy is getting rich solely off of that!....I don't know..sometimes its a little hard to trust certain vets...I guess I'm just too **** negative sometimes. I personally wouldn't like the vet giving my dog unnecessary drugs...

You can probably talk to him and maybe phone other clinics and see what their standards are?
Old 02-10-2005, 07:37 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

Well, I know my vet is not money hungry. He's a really good person. He never over charges me for anything. He's always been there for me in emergencies with my horses and dogs, and he has made emergency trips at night to take care of my horse. He didn't even charge me for an after hours fee. I feel like I need to let everyone know that he's a really good vet.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:32 AM
Felurian

From what you've said in the past I had an idea he was a good one. Just ask him about why he uses the tranquilizer before anesthesia. You'll feel better and most good vets like educating their clients. A knowledgeable owner can make things much easier for a vet and less stressful for the pet.

Please let us know how Miss Beulah is feeling when you get her home.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

Oh I will. I get to pick her up today after work.