2013 Garden Plans...

Gypsydals

The outdoor improvement plans this year are.
1. to make the veggie garden about 2 feet bigger on two sides.
2. Make it into a raised bed and add mulch to it.
3. get my barrels planted with cucumbers and zuchinni.
4. Add more plants to the front and side of the house along with some mulch.
And seeing if I can't get the bare spots filled in with grass.

I think thats about it as far as what I'm planning on doing.

Kimbers

We aren't completely sure what will and won't get done, but ideally, my mum and I would put in a sprinkler system, finish the brick wall out front, replace the broken beam of the veggie gardens, and terrace the soil over by the veggie gardens.
The biggest thing that we always fail at is keeping the bindweed and cheatgrass brome at bay. You leave for three days and the yard turns into a jungle full of the stuff!

DJEtzel

My main focus is going to be getting a nice green yard... We tore up the back in the late fall to add a privacy fence, so grass never got a chance to grow before the snow came. :(

SO is going to be planting a garden with potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, some melons, corn, and a few other random things in our side yard, away from the dogs. In the back, he's hoping to try outdoor gardening of medical marijuana. He has been growing indoor for a while, but has heard it's so much better and easier to grow outside. So we're buying a greenhouse, apparently!

I'd love to try my hand at some flowers and things like that if we do get the greenhouse for SO's venture. I was in a gardening club in elementary school and actually learned a lot that stuck with me, so I'd like to try it again. I'd love to add some grasses and bushes to the yard as well... I'm sure I will be starting a thread when the snow melts and we start something.

Zhucca

Lab Love
Last year I didn't really tend to the garden, and to my dismay the peonies didn't bloom. They have sentimental value because my friends late mother planted them, so I know he was a little upset they didn't bloom last year. So, I need to do a bit of maintenance, turn the soil and put some nice manure in there to make the peonies happy. There is some random bush that is in there too, something that only has red leaves and doesn't bloom. I think I'm going to remove that. Start out a bit minimal and just add some white nancy lamium and lungwort. Then fill in with some ornamental grass, feather reed maybe. I haven't decided. That's pretty much it, there's a dip in the front of the lawn where a tree was removed and I had an idea of evening up the hole, put some wooden trim around and putting plants there. However I think that's too lofty.

I also need to seed the front lawn, it'll probably get aerated this year too. The backyard needs major TLC, I didn't pick up a majority of the leaves from fall. That was a big, lazy mistake. I have five full grown trees in the backyard, fyi... Come spring or just when it gets a bit drier I have a pretty big job

I've got some planties started. They are lots bigger now, the pictures was taken on Friday. I've got lots of tomatoes, some peppers (haven't sprouted yet :( ), peas, cucumber, & some luffa gourds (super stoked there). I have ornamental corn & mini pumpkins & watermelon that I will direct sow.

We need to get a fence up around the garden and till it up. The ground was a garden once upon a time, but hasn't been one in decades. I'm also trying to decide how I want to go about gardening. Raised beds? No till? Ben wants to do a gravel walkway through the garden. I'm not so sure about it. We know that our plan is to be here 7ish years, so I don't want to add too many permanent structures. Like, fences I'm OK with, everyone likes fences, but raised beds & gravel walkways....If the next owners don't want to garden then it's all a waste.

I want to clear the border of the backyard and add Mountain Laurel & Holly plants. I'm aiming to add a lot of native plants that will feed the birds in the winter. The hill.....Oh the hill. I think I'm just going to toss some wildflower seeds on it and see what happens. It's too steep to use the riding lawnmower on and there are large rocks sticking out of it and some old stumps. And, destroy the burning bush with FIRE.

Pull up some old flagstones, level it out, and replace them. Then we'll have a nice seating area off the kitchen.

I do have some flowers popping up -

and my bulbs are coming up to. This is our first spring here, so I haven't seen the bulbs in bloom yet. Pretty excited.

I seriously need to get a few areas thinned out/divided and under control. :D I may have enough plants to divide that I can garden-ize the remainder of our boulevard - the neighbor wants to do his, too, so we'll see. We've been talking about it for a year or two but haven't actually done it yet. That would most likely be a fall project, anyway.

Otherwise I don't think I'm going to do anything new this year. Just maintenance on what we've got.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Ideally we'd do a total overhaul this year. Realistically, I hope to have part of the back bulldozed and graded correctly, trees planted, part of the garden area redone which is going to be a huge pain, and I'd really like to get the front of the house done, but we need to tear out some shrubs and I have *no* idea what to plant in their place. I need stuff that can do well getting direct morning sun and range from no to some afternoon sun. And that doesn't need obsessive watering. Preferably non-annuals though I'm sure I'll be filling in with annuals for color or until everything else is established...

#bitingoffmorethanicanchew

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
We've already had our garden planted for three or so weeks. We've got Kale and lettuce, a bajillion snap peas, some beans that were planted a couple days ago, onions, and something else I'm forgetting. Our tomatoes died because we forget about the random freeze in the beginning of March, and we didn't cover them :(

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Mostly I need to level the yard some, bring in some fill dirt for where we tore up the asphalt pad, and plant grass seed. My dad thinks I should just sod but he doesn't seem to be hearing when I tell him I DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY.

Oh yeah, I also need to remove the sand from next to the porch and I'd like to put some kind of edging up there, and possibly rock it in, but I don't think I have the cash to buy the rocks either - I want to get larger rocks (like bigger than the size of a fist) because otherwise puppies try to eat rocks like they do at my parent's house, and I'm tired of that. =P There's also still plenty of smaller rocks lurking in the yard that I need to get picked out.

So totally landscaping rather than gardening. I want a garden (I want to grow my own sweet potatoes!!) but that will just have to wait. Maybe in 2014.

A new deck is in store at some point but I have no idea when, because it may involve moving the entrance to the crawl space... we talked about closing off the exterior entrance and making an interior entrance in a closet or the utility room instead... that is definitely not in store for this year unless I win the lottery!

Last edited:

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Oh, many many plans....

~ 50 tomato plants from seed in the greenhouse at school (it was for a lab, anyone want some? LOL)
~ 8 pepper plants from seed in the greenhouse
~ 2 Hosta plants in the greenhouse
~ 8 Mondo Grass plants in the greenhouse
~ 6 Fatsia plants in the greenhouse
~ 6 Magnolia plants in the greenhouse

At home, I have...

~ 6 Lavender, Sage, Cilantro, and Parsley from seed in the garage by a window till it warms up outside.
~ 7 quart size pots of Sunflowers from seed, again waiting till it warms up.
~ TULIPS! I saved all my bulbs from last year and they're coming up in the garden now! Ah, so excited! First time doing Tulips.

And then of course everything is starting to make it's way out of the dormant season that was already established last year...Crepe Myrtles, Elephant Ears, Mums, Azalea, Hydrangeas, Canas, Jasmine, Umbrella Plants, Day Lilies, Mint, etc. :D

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I want to do a garden this year... it'll have to be raised or in buckets/barrels of some sort. Keep meaning to do it every year but never really find the time..

Oh, many many plans....

~ 50 tomato plants from seed in the greenhouse at school (it was for a lab, anyone want some? LOL)
Seriously?!?! Yes!

We made our garden larger. 10 ft by 22ft now. It was 10x10 last year. The hubby rented a tiller and tilled it up, so I spent the last week picking the grass and roots out of it. We added manure and fertilizer this week and I plan to plant at the end of the month.

I'm sure I'll go overboard like I did last year. Tomatoes, cucumber, squash, spaghetti squash, pumpkin, peppers, corn. I pretty much plant whatever strikes my fancy.

I want to do strawberries in pots, but haven't got around to it yet. Maybe tomorrow or Friday.

So all those bulbs I planted last fall are doing well....daffodils are about to pop, crocus are blooming, and tulips are coming along nicely. All the bulbs from years past are doing well too. Looks like most of the azaleas and hostas I got late last summer (in 100+ degree weather) are coming back so phew!

Have a bunch of seeds started now....did several about a month ago and then started more today and transplanted/thinned some of the older ones. Still have a ton to direct sow next month.

I am trying to switch my focus back to flowers, or at least even it up. For the last several years the majority of flowers I grew were as companions in the veggie garden and I miss having more ornamentals.

Last sunday lol (still snowed for several hours after these pics)

The rose is actually leafing out pretty nicely under the snow lol

Members online

No members online now.