Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Obey the Toad.

Default 2013 Garden Plans...

Since I have serious spring fever and it's still nasty outside...

What are your garden, yard, landscaping, and general outdoor living plans for this year?

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Top Dog

The outdoor improvement plans this year are.
1. to make the veggie garden about 2 feet bigger on two sides.
2. Make it into a raised bed and add mulch to it.
3. get my barrels planted with cucumbers and zuchinni.
4. Add more plants to the front and side of the house along with some mulch.
And seeing if I can't get the bare spots filled in with grass.

I think thats about it as far as what I'm planning on doing.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Top Dog

We aren't completely sure what will and won't get done, but ideally, my mum and I would put in a sprinkler system, finish the brick wall out front, replace the broken beam of the veggie gardens, and terrace the soil over by the veggie gardens.
The biggest thing that we always fail at is keeping the bindweed and cheatgrass brome at bay. You leave for three days and the yard turns into a jungle full of the stuff!
Old 03-02-2013, 10:15 AM
Top Dog

My main focus is going to be getting a nice green yard... We tore up the back in the late fall to add a privacy fence, so grass never got a chance to grow before the snow came.

SO is going to be planting a garden with potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, some melons, corn, and a few other random things in our side yard, away from the dogs. In the back, he's hoping to try outdoor gardening of medical marijuana. He has been growing indoor for a while, but has heard it's so much better and easier to grow outside. So we're buying a greenhouse, apparently!

I'd love to try my hand at some flowers and things like that if we do get the greenhouse for SO's venture. I was in a gardening club in elementary school and actually learned a lot that stuck with me, so I'd like to try it again. I'd love to add some grasses and bushes to the yard as well... I'm sure I will be starting a thread when the snow melts and we start something.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 03-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Lab Love

Last year I didn't really tend to the garden, and to my dismay the peonies didn't bloom. They have sentimental value because my friends late mother planted them, so I know he was a little upset they didn't bloom last year. So, I need to do a bit of maintenance, turn the soil and put some nice manure in there to make the peonies happy. There is some random bush that is in there too, something that only has red leaves and doesn't bloom. I think I'm going to remove that. Start out a bit minimal and just add some white nancy lamium and lungwort. Then fill in with some ornamental grass, feather reed maybe. I haven't decided. That's pretty much it, there's a dip in the front of the lawn where a tree was removed and I had an idea of evening up the hole, put some wooden trim around and putting plants there. However I think that's too lofty.

I also need to seed the front lawn, it'll probably get aerated this year too. The backyard needs major TLC, I didn't pick up a majority of the leaves from fall. That was a big, lazy mistake. I have five full grown trees in the backyard, fyi... Come spring or just when it gets a bit drier I have a pretty big job

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 03-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Top Dog

I've got some planties started. They are lots bigger now, the pictures was taken on Friday. I've got lots of tomatoes, some peppers (haven't sprouted yet ), peas, cucumber, & some luffa gourds (super stoked there). I have ornamental corn & mini pumpkins & watermelon that I will direct sow.

We need to get a fence up around the garden and till it up. The ground was a garden once upon a time, but hasn't been one in decades. I'm also trying to decide how I want to go about gardening. Raised beds? No till? Ben wants to do a gravel walkway through the garden. I'm not so sure about it. We know that our plan is to be here 7ish years, so I don't want to add too many permanent structures. Like, fences I'm OK with, everyone likes fences, but raised beds & gravel walkways....If the next owners don't want to garden then it's all a waste.

I want to clear the border of the backyard and add Mountain Laurel & Holly plants. I'm aiming to add a lot of native plants that will feed the birds in the winter. The hill.....Oh the hill. I think I'm just going to toss some wildflower seeds on it and see what happens. It's too steep to use the riding lawnmower on and there are large rocks sticking out of it and some old stumps. And, destroy the burning bush with FIRE.

Pull up some old flagstones, level it out, and replace them. Then we'll have a nice seating area off the kitchen.

I do have some flowers popping up -

and my bulbs are coming up to. This is our first spring here, so I haven't seen the bulbs in bloom yet. Pretty excited.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 03-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Love My Mutt <3

^^would making a trip to NY to eat home grown watermelon be overboard?

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-12-2013, 08:38 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

I got my flowers and my herbs started... unfortunatly it looks like this right now.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
^^would making a trip to NY to eat home grown watermelon be overboard?
I don't think so. I'll also send like 4 dozen tomatoes home with you.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 03-12-2013, 09:15 AM
such sights to show you

I seriously need to get a few areas thinned out/divided and under control. I may have enough plants to divide that I can garden-ize the remainder of our boulevard - the neighbor wants to do his, too, so we'll see. We've been talking about it for a year or two but haven't actually done it yet. That would most likely be a fall project, anyway.

Otherwise I don't think I'm going to do anything new this year. Just maintenance on what we've got.