Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-28-2013, 10:14 PM
Top Dog

Default Taking Care of Leather Collars

Is there any way to avoid leather darkening up?

I loveloveloveeeddd when we first got Jackson's tan Paco collar.

It looked like this:

He wears it almost every day. We've probably had it for, like, 8 or 9 months now? It's definitely darkened up a bit.

It still looks GREAT and is in awesome condition. My favorite collar by far. He still wears it practically every day.

I just didn't know if there was a way to avoid it. I'm thinking probably not.

It's never been conditioned or anything. It's never gotten soaked either. I haven't been 'careful' with it per say, I mean it's his every day collar, so dog parks, running around outside, etc, he's got it on. But it's yet to have been worn in big bodies of water etc.

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Top Dog

Gavroche's EL collar is black, so it doesn't really darken. Logan's is blue, but it's colored differently than all the black leather I have (funny, I have no brown leather except for a bullhide slip leash...). I use Fiebing's Aussie Leather Conditioner on them on occasion. Gavroche tends to get his collar REALLY dirty, so I have actually scrubbed it with dish soap and an electric toothbrush before, then slathered it with Fiebing's. It looked BRAND-FREAKING-NEW after that. I need to clean it again, though maybe not quite as harshly.

However, from what I know, light leathers do tend to darken with time and wear, and there's not a whole lot to do about it. Maybe make sure it's really, really well sealed before using it?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:25 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Lighter leathers do darken with age, and it's not because of dirt or cleaning, it's because of the natural oils in a dogs coat. I looooove the way the congac leather from EL turned out. It's SO gorgeous when it's burnished well and the brass is polished. I don't really like patina on brass, though it's unavoidable, and I'm too lazy to keep up with cleaning it like I should.

Jones' adult boy collar will be in Congac from EL though.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:27 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Unfortunately for those that like the lighter leather collars, it's totally normal for light leather to darken with use. If you oil it, it will darken up right away. If not, the oils from your hands and everyday use will result in it gradually darkening up over time.

However, for a conditioner that softens the leather and seals it up with minimal effect on the color, mink oil works really well. I just grabbed a tin at Walgreens one day (it's with the shoe polish) and I'm very happy with it for my leather gear.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:40 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Unfortunately for those that like the lighter leather collars, it's totally normal for light leather to darken with use. If you oil it, it will darken up right away. If not, the oils from your hands and everyday use will result in it gradually darkening up over time.

However, for a conditioner that softens the leather and seals it up with minimal effect on the color, mink oil works really well. I just grabbed a tin at Walgreens one day (it's with the shoe polish) and I'm very happy with it for my leather gear.
I use mink oil exclusively on most of my leather. And as soon as I find my tin, I'm going to be going through the house again looking for all my leather crap lol. It's very soothing to condition the leather for me lol, but I really like the aged/darkened leather look that it gives.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:08 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
= It's very soothing to condition the leather for me lol
ME TOO! My roommate thinks I'm crazy but I take such pleasure in caring for my leather gear.

I got Keeva a beautiful 6 ft black leather from Bold Lead Designs for Christmas and I made myself wait till after Christmas to condition it/break it in.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:43 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Gavroche's EL collar is black, so it doesn't really darken. Logan's is blue, but it's colored differently than all the black leather I have (funny, I have no brown leather except for a bullhide slip leash...). I use Fiebing's Aussie Leather Conditioner on them on occasion. Gavroche tends to get his collar REALLY dirty, so I have actually scrubbed it with dish soap and an electric toothbrush before, then slathered it with Fiebing's. It looked BRAND-FREAKING-NEW after that. I need to clean it again, though maybe not quite as harshly.

However, from what I know, light leathers do tend to darken with time and wear, and there's not a whole lot to do about it. Maybe make sure it's really, really well sealed before using it?
If you use saddle soap instead of dish soap, it will strip less of the good stuff out of the leather but still get the dirt and grime. It's cool stuff

Old 03-01-2013, 07:02 AM
Top Dog

Pretty much what I figured! Okay, thank you.

It has definitely darkened to a nice collar, but I just loved when it was real light.

Also, this tan is the softest collar I've ever felt <33. Is tan leather typically softer than others? Black always comes to me a bit stiffer, but this tan just CAME to me super-soft, and broken in, and I love it, didn't know if it was common or it was just the hide I got. Also, the cognac brown leather from Ella's that we have for my dads JRT is really soft too! Never conditioned either.

Brit & Jackson

Old 03-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Water Junkie

My tan Paco (that also came super soft!) has darkened also. I'll have to give the mink oil a try!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 03-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I don't want my tan paco to get darker it looks so amazing on Cricket lighter and she doesn't look as good in the darker leather imo. I so wish there was a way to completely avoid it getting so much darker.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle