Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Top Dog

I haven't seen any Belgians around here since I got Elsie, outside of dog events and my dad's house.

We were at the lake once and someone had a Terv, but I was on a boat and missed him.

I'm sure they're around, since there's a mal breeder one city over who sells on craigslist. :[
Old 03-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
I've met a handful of Mals (all in dog sports)... 2 Tervs at the dog park... and 1 Groenendael. They're insanely rare in NorCal, as far as I've seen. Not ONE was boarded at the hotel that I worked at, full time, for 4 years, with literally tens of thousands of dogs coming through. Very sad because all of the Belgies I've met have been awesome & stunning. Actually, they were probably all awesome and stunning BECAUSE their popularity hasn't exploded. Can't say the same for poor GSDs.
I wouldn't be surprised if it has less to do with population and more to do with it not being an ideal environment for Belgians. As a rule strangers handling them in a busy doggy environment makes most Belgian owners I know nervous.

We boarded Backup when he was a pup but after that its always a take with or find a Belgian owning friend who understands the breed to watch them.

I'm not sure how NorCal you are but I know a ton in the SF/Oakland area, they even show in shelters every so often unfortunately.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Owned by Belgians

There seem to be a bunch of Tervs in my area. A few Groenendaels, and very few Malinois. I see the Tervs a lot, but that's usually at the club or shows.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Got Floof?

A lot. there's like 5 regulars at Kobe's dog park, 3 at Kobe's day care, two of my employees own one, and i see two walking down the trail regularly.

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13

Old 03-05-2013, 02:45 AM
Blonde Raccoon

I saw a Malinois at the beach once, and we have a Mal mix at work. That's about it!

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:09 AM
Top Dog

I work with them every day for my job. Otherwise, rarely. They're popular in agility and Flyball in MI, but I haven't seen much of them here.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Top Dog

Don't know as I can count, there's a dog grooming/boarding business in the area whose owners have Tervs, just saw several puppies about 7-8 weeks old playing outside too, not sure if they are theirs or what I haven't gotten to talk to them in a while, they go to the same show handling classes as us. And there's also a HERD of Belgian sheepdogs in the area, it's cute to see them all together in a group, some of them also take the show handling classes when they have puppies. And it's funny, the Belgian sheepdogs are the only "breed" Enda seems to get on with fine even if she's never seen that particular individual before, but she hates Tervs! Why, I have no idea and probably couldn't ever give you an answer. Oh, and only a few Malinois here and there, saw two this weekend at a match show, but not nearly as many Mals as Terv or Sheepdogs in this area.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Top Dog

I saw a groenendael at Petsmart just the other day. I see mals quite a bit, actually, not just in training class but out in public. Hard to miss a mal, they're the dogs standing on their two back feet.

I see tervs occasionally, but really only at shows. They do seem to be particularly popular in obedience.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Owned by Belgians

I just printed off the judging schedule for next weekend's Kentuckiana cluster. There are 73 Tervs entered on Saturday, but of course, the Terv specialty is that weekend.

What a sight that will be!
Old 03-09-2013, 07:26 PM
overdogged

Not very often. My agility trainer has a Terv and we used to have one who came to work, but those are the only Tervs I know. Mals are gaining popularity in flyball around here, so I do see them fairly regularly.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?