Glyco-Flex II vs. III?

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
I'm mainly going to be using the supplement as a "preventative" for Cali, since she has luxating patellas but never shows any pain or hesitation and happily jumps off couches/beds/etc. The primary reason for this is because training classes are starting up this spring and I intend on taking part in at least a couple, and I want her joints to be mobile and healthy. I'm thinking fly ball, tracking and maybe rally-o.

I've read both descriptions for Glyco-Flex II and III, and since Cali is neither geriatric or a working dog, the II formula sounds like it may be best. However, I'm looking for advice from someone who gives their dog the supplement and can actually recommend a particular type. I'll be getting the soft chews and likely the ones tailored for small dogs.

My only experience with joint supplements comes from horses so I don't know what proportions to look for in a dog supplement, just in horse ones. Also, has anyone ever heard of Recovery SA? I'm just curious as I used Recovery EQ when I had my horse and there was immediate improvement. Plus, the Recovery SA has hylauronic acid which I remember the equine vet saying really makes the difference when it comes to a joint supplement, but is it different when it comes to dogs?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Auggie gets II. He will likely develop arthritis in his wrists due to his physical disability, his elbows may become affected as well. He is seven which is technically a senior dog, but he has no arthritis yet - so I only give him the II. When we start to see some arthritis developing I will switch to the III, but as of now his joints are healthy, if not correct, so both of my vets agreed we should have him on the II.

Payton is on the I because he has no issues that I'm aware of (he's two in March so x-rays pending) but just for some very basic support for agility and his general craziness.

We just use the tablet form, I break them in half and throw them in with the food and nobody has ever tried to not eat it. IIRC the chews were pretty expensive so I just stuck with the tablets!

What grade did your vet give Cali's luxating patellas? I would use the II for grade 1 and 2, and III for 3 and 4.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
The vet said grade 2, because the first time she felt the legs, they were out of place but when she double checked, they were back in position. I'll order the II then, thanks! I'm also thinking about getting her patellas x-rayed this summer once I'm working just to confirm what grade.

Members online

No members online now.