For those with Short Haired BC's

I have kind of an odd question. What is your dogs coat texture like? Gambit's mother was a short haired BC, looked pure from the picture they showed me. His father was either a coyote or a coydog.

As he's hit maturity, his coat has picked up a very waxy texture. He's healthy, his coat is healthy, but when you pet him, it's noticiable. After a bath, he's dry within 20 minutes, he doesn't get dirty/muddy, anything like that. It's justa little odd.

Does this come from the BC, or from something else? Having never petted a coyote (wonder why?), I have no idea what their coat may feel like.

That is very close to what my Shibas coats were like, Tonka especially, if he got bathed once a year he was lucky, in totally he maybe had 6-8 baths in his life, he was just a very clean dog. Ruffian was as well, but she got bathed after her heat season because she usually had a funky smell after.

No, it's not quite like a shiba's coat either. It isn't coarse, but actually waxy. I've never felt a coat like it, and I've handled thousands of dogs. Now, how one of those dogs has never been a short haired BC, I have no idea.

BTW- Shiba's are sooooo cute! I wanted one for the longest time, but after meeting a few, concluded that they weren't for me.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
They vary (lol). The ones I know are not as plush as a GSD type coat but they're fairly harsh in texture. I do not know how to describe it. It's not a single, slick coat like many 'smooth' haired dogs.

Members online

No members online now.